Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thank You Academy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank You Academy

105.6 lbs of pure Pit Barrel cooking goodness.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1426121942082-1455928459.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	70267
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; March 11, 2015, 07:03 PM.

Sale ?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      No. I made my 3rd trip to Lufkin, TX since Friday, to pick up some chairs for our christian school. Academy carries the 17.6 pound bag, better deal than the 8.8 pound bag that is sold locally.

So, how long will that last you, Jerod?

A couple of weeks? :-)

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      If too many brisket orders come in for our fundraiser, 1.5.

Geez, I really hope a WHILE.

Nice score!

Comment

Jerod. I picked up some of the B&B oak at Academy. It was about 20 cents a pound cheaper than the Kingsford blue. I haven never used it before, only the blue bag. Since it says oak charcoal, does that impact the amount or flavor of wood chunks you use with this?

Comment

I cook in the Pit Barrel so I don't use wood since it is like controlled temp grilling.

In my offset, I still used wood for smoke. The Kingsford does a better job of getting lit, but once that B & B gets going, it really rocks!

Comment

I cook in a WSM but usually add wood chunks on the charcoal for flavor. So in the Pit Barrel, you don't use any wood for smoke flavor? Just what you get from the charcoal?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            Drippings baby!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeh, check out the video below...

Comment

Wow. Thanks for the video. I guess I need to remove my water pan from the WSM for my next smoke to see the difference.

I was at Costco today. They have Kingsford Competition 2-18lb bags for $15.99.

Comment

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              I know that Harry Soo doesn't use any water in his WSM. Another site member, Ernest, doesn't either. I use water but I just got my 14.5" for Christmas and have only done 4 cooks on it so far. Soo and Ernest leave the pan in as a heat shield to protect from radiant heat. PBC has no heat shield but the exposure is limited because the meat is hanging in lieu of sitting on a grate. You'd probably be fine on the top grate but if you are using both grates or just the lower grate, you probably would want to keep the bowl in place to prevent from scorching your meat - it will be sitting too close to the coals I am guessing. Having said all of that, there are plenty of experienced WSM members on this site who can probably confirm or contradict what I just postulated based upon personal experience.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here