Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips on using Kingford Competition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips on using Kingford Competition?

Since I'm running low on my Labor Day purchase of Kingsford Blue, I decided to buy some Competition that is on sale at Costco (2x18 lbs for $15). I bought the limit of 3 bundles or 108 lbs.

I've been reading that the Competition burns hotter but lasts shorter. What I am wondering, is how much? If doing a low/slow cook, would simply doing a narrower but longer fuse work out to about the same total number of coals for temp & time?

TB, I've used both, and not seen that big a difference. Usually, esp iin winter, I use Stubbs, which also burns slightly hotter and faster than Kingsford. Here is a link for a test between blue and competition: http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2011/0...mpetition.html You can google kingsford vs. xxxxxxxx and get some of these comparisons. With your location, absent a really long cook, the temp differential may just somewhat offset the cold ambient temp. Just watch your Maverick and adjust your airflow, but I doubt you'll see much of a difference, again, unless it is a VERY long cook, in which case you may need to add some fuel.

Comment

Kingsford Competition in my PBC burns hotter at first and then longer. By longer I mean that the PBC is still hot to the touch 8 to 10 hours after I'm done with my cook, while the Original coals have cooled off by then. I use Competition for chickens and turkeys and Original for everything else.

Kathryn

Comment

My wife bought the the competition coals on a similar deal at Costco last year. It seemed to burn a bit hotter than the blue but it also seemed to burn faster and by that I mean the coals burned themselves out more quickly which is fine for shorter cooks but is somewhat problematic for longer cooks. Having said that, a whole slew of other factors could have contributed to to what I perceived as a faster burn.

It looks like Rich provided some more scientific information. I recommend starting there. I know I am going to check it out. Going back to my personal experiences...I found the differences to be subtle. You shouldn't have to tinker much with your techniques if you are accustomed to using blue.

Comment

Well, I feel validated. The test that was performed in the link that Rich provided confirmed my personal experiences. It burns hotter and faster. When I grill at home I typically use lump charcoal. I like it because it burns hotter than blue and it's a bit cleaner. I always use it when doing cooks that are 90 minutes or shorter. For low and slow I've always used blue. Based upon the test in Rich's link the competition briquettes would be a suitable substitute for lump for less than 90 minute cooks, but for low and slow blue appears to be the better charcoal because it maintains heat for a longer period of time.

Comment

Those are my go to briquettes. Less ash, clean burn, zero chemical smell. Great in the PBC,

Comment

Thanks all. I'll probably do some cooks in the next few days and I'll see what happens.

Comment

Don't mean to hijack this post. But those of you who have used both, any difference in flavor between the two?

Comment

jlazar I can only describe the competition briquets as CLEAN smoke. I really don't like the blue bags because I can smell some off thingamajig.

Comment

I've done a few cooks with the Competition now and haven't noticed much difference other than the Competition lighting quicker.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here