Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did lump charcoal for the first time....interesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny Michael_in_TX , I just used part of a bag of B&B lump and it had almost no powder in it. I must have bought the good bag.

Like you, I still prefer the predictability of briquettes: Weber for long cooks, Kingsford Professional for poultry, and KBB for everything else.

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point, Attjack . I must have had a bag of B&B lump that was handled with kid gloves.

K.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      As they should be, fzxdoc!

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm on my first bag of B&B and it's good stuff.

The Naked Whiz has a huge ongoing and reasonable scientific database of lump charcoal performance evaluations. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

Comment

I'm attaching a link that has been previously posted at this site. Though dated, it is an excellent way to determine best value for lump. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumprankdata.htm?compare

Comment

I like cooking skirt steak for fajitas directly on the lump. Just blow the ash off (carefully) with your lawn blower (LOW setting) and your steaks will come off the coals clean. No real advantage cooking skirt steak this way... you get a nice crust and it just looks cool.

Comment

In general cheaper lump will crackle and spark alot, more expensive quality lump generally will not. I am always playing with different brands of lump, i can tell you the sparking from the cheap stuff has ruined more then one shirt where i have yet to have a single incident with higher end stuff. Though the last bag of fogo i had did have a couple non ideal pieces that popped a couple times but thats across the entire bag where the cheap stuff popped and crackled every time i used it. Though there is one semi cheap bag (royal oak) that does really well i just dont care for the lego size pieces that come in most bags.

Comment

I have to totally disagree on the use of lump charcoal. It is called lump because that is what it is a combination of small and large pieces that burn at different speeds and temperatures. So overall you have a hard time to control your fire. Most of the wood flavor has been pulled out of it in the making of it and I would challenge anyone on here to smell there lit fire and tell me what the flavor is. Yep it smells like wood, so what, thats not why I'm smoking.

I will stick with my even burning briquets and known wood type chunks. I can choose the wood I want to use, apple, cherry, hickory, maple, or oak. Each serving a different purpose. Taste one of my cherry smoked turkeys as in my picture, or some maple smoked bacon.

But to each there own.
            Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 11, 2019, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here