Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making Lump Charcoal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making Lump Charcoal

Having less than two years of grilling experience I have been fascinated by the science of grilling. The dreaded stall, the breaking down of collagen, the effects of temperature variance, the physical reaction when salt is applied to meat. Meatheads way of explaining the science in laymans terms leaves one's mouth watering for more in a scientific way. It is one of the few sciences where the result of your efforts taste so good.

This science of grilling has been introduced to me by my next door neighbor NoviceBBQer a charter member of the Pit. He makes his own lump charcoal and it performs as well if not better in my experience as the commercial brands. I am curious how many of the Pit Crew made their own lump charcoal and if they do what process is used. Are all those making their own lump in a very select group or is it more wide spread.

In the near future NoviceBBQer and I will post a description of his charcoal making process including photos if some Pit Members are interested?

As always thank you for sharing your knowledge and ideas at the Pit.

I don't make charcoal, but look forward to your post.

Comment

Jon Solberg posted a detailed version of his method. He's no longer a member, but you should be able to find the post by searching on him.

Comment

Heck yeah I’m interested. My backyard (and wife) won’t allow it, but give me a new backyard and about 10 years to work on convincing my wife, I’ll be right there!

But i‘m sooooo interested.

Comment

The process is not complicated. I was going to use a 55 gallon and 30 gallon drum to make a charcoal retort, but since I have to pay for my firewood, it’s just not economical. If you have property and a source of firewood it would be another story.

Comment

You'll want to click the "CC" icon for captioning about what's going on.

Comment

Here is a great thread regarding the subject. Jon Solberg did a nice job putting this together for us.

**Update 3/2/20: The thread linked above has been deleted. (Not sure why, sorry for the inconvenience.)**

Comment

• Dan Deter
              Dan Deter commented
              Editing a comment
              It was probably when they were cleaning up the old posts and nobody thought to tag that one as one to keep. Oh well.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              @Argh, that was a good thread. Someone go find a backup and restore it!

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Unfortunately, we can't. I tried to dig. jfmorris

I make charcoal from my backyard fire pit I bought at the grocery store. Ingredients, Pecan logs and other hardwoods I rounded up from neighbors limb trimming, side of the road stacked tree debris, and anything I can get my hands on. Place in fire pit in evening, burn to make hotdogs, s'mores, general heat, add wine, beer, and relatives or neighbors ....enjoy fire, go to bed. Next morning I have 6 inches of ash and a lot of hot coals inside as I stir the ash up. Get up, stir ash, place in frying basket from Cajun Cooker and shake ash out. Drop coals on dirt with no grass and water down to stop burning..."put fire out". Let sit a few hours and shovel up into a pile, store or use after a a few days to dry out. Takes a few evenings to accumulate a 20 lb bag but its one way of making charcoal in a very enjoyable way. We recycle!

Comment

• WVsmoke
              WVsmoke commented
              Editing a comment
              I appreciate you sharing your charology.

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              My understanding, which might be seeing, is that's not charcoal, it's charred wood. I think charcoal it's roasted, not burned, would.

Y'all can count me among the ones also interested in making lump, just recently bought a used 55 gallon drum, a 30 gallon and a 16 gallon barrel. There are fallen trees everywhere I look lately, it seems. Craigslist has "free firewood" on the ground, just have to load it, or sometimes you have to cut it. I have four unsightly Hackberry trees in the back yard that need to be pyrolyzed. Hackberry is considered a hardwood, of moderate hardness. Those four trees would yield enough charcoal to make it worthwhile...possibly? Would give me something to do while smoking meats.

Comment

• KentW
              KentW commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep....but not by me! lol I'm definitely NOT a rocket scientist. I see you're in east Texas. I was just out there in your neck of the woods about 6 weeks ago, in Willis, Texas. I made a trip just to check out the showroom at Lonestargrillz. I want one really bad. Very nice trip, glad to see that part of the country,

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I am going to try to make some as well. I have the set up ready to go, I just need to get it going.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Hmmm. Hackberry charcoal! There's a new one! . Go for it, and let us know how it turns out. BTW I am not far from you over here in Huntsville...

I have been looking for suitable barrels and I plan the make some when I do find some. I have access to lots of white ash and other hardwoods.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here