Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re-using charcoal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-using charcoal

Hi all,

Have searched a bit and can't find any information on reusing charcoal briquettes on AR. I see there are some people that do do it when I searched the interwebs but I don't trust any information that doesn't come from this site....

So question is, can you re-use charcoal briquettes if you have some remaining after a cook. If so, how many of you do reuse?

Cheers,

CP.

I always re-use my leftover coals. I'm typically using the charcoal baskets that came with my Weber Performer, so when I am done cooking, I close the bottom and top vents and let the fire die off. Next time I am going to cook, I take the baskets out, go to the yard and shake off the loose ash.

I always start my chimney with fresh briquets however - no particular reason why. Then I dump the charcoal from the chimney into the baskets with the leftover coals.

Comment

I always re use mine on all of my cookers. I haven't seen any difference what so ever in performance or taste.

Comment

I just get rid of the ash, and anything that's still big enough to not fall through the grate gets into the next cook. That's both the Weber Kettle and the Smokey Mountain. I don't use it in the chimney, that's always fresh coals for me too.

Jim

Comment

Same here, when finished cooking I snuff them out. Then for the next cook shake them off and put fresh coals on top, and some more lit coals on those. Even in my PBC I do this.

Comment

I re-use them also, but haven't figured out a way to estimate how long they have left (e.g., to decide how much new coal to add for a long cook).

Comment

I too am a reuser and use fresh coals in the Chimney. Just get rid of the ash . On my Kamado Joe I just close the vents off to snuff and I just add more lump on top. On the PBC I use that 10 gallon Behrens trash can that was suggested on here. The PBC basket fits right in, close the lid and it snuffs it out really quick. Lots of coals left. Love that can lol.

Comment

I shake the ash out of my basket, in my UDS, and reuse the charcoal every time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here