Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Rapid Fire Charcoal Chimney Sizes & Capacities Pictorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Rapid Fire Charcoal Chimney Sizes & Capacities Pictorial

I thought I'd make a post showing the capacity of the 2 Weber charcoal chimneys in pictures. Hopefully this will give you a visual and save you the need to count briquettes.

Here's a side by side of them for comparison purposes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG0960.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.03 MB ID:	470742

This pictorial used standard Kingsford Original briquettes

Large (regular) Weber Rapid Fire Chimney, right side up.
    This is dropping the briquettes in by twos

20 briquettes:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Regular 20.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.11 MB ID:	470739

40 briquettes (between top 2 holes, roughly):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Regular 40.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.11 MB ID:	470738

60 briquettes (holes buried):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Regular 60.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.17 MB ID:	470741

80 briquettes:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Regular 80.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.21 MB ID:	470737

100 briquettes (full but not heaping):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Regular 100 b.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.13 MB ID:	470736Click image for larger version  Name:	Regular 100.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.81 MB ID:	470735

And below is dumping the bag straight in until it looked the same fullness as above, then counting how many there were. I thought dumping them in all at once might lead to less in there since they'd fall in all odd placements. As chance has it there were exactly 100 full briquettes and some small pieces!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Regular 100 poured.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.20 MB ID:	470733

Large (regular) Weber Rapid Fire Chimney, upside down. Using the chimney upside down is helpful for smaller loads, plus a lighter cube will fit right in the concave grates nicely.

20 briquettes:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Regular upside down 20.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.19 MB ID:	470727

40 briquettes:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Regular upside down 40 b.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.20 MB ID:	470726

Compact (small) Weber Rapid Fire Chimney, right side up.

10briquettes:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Compact 10.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.37 MB ID:	470740

20 briquettes:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Compact 20.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.20 MB ID:	470731

30 briquettes (near top of holes, roughly):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Compact 30.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.16 MB ID:	470732

40 briquettes (full but not heaping):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Compact 40.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.97 MB ID:	470730Click image for larger version  Name:	Compact 40 b.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.96 MB ID:	470729

Compact (small) Weber Rapid Fire Chimney, upside down.

20 briquettes (full, slightly heaped):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Compact upside down 20.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.87 MB ID:	470728
    Attached Files

I thought it was a rain cover for my kj cap did not know you could put charcoal in them

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      And you can eat on the plate! (don't you use a plate on top of that for the rain shield? If not, then my comment makes no sense.)

• customtrim
      customtrim commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee I do use it on top but not to eat off of. Thanks for the post nice useful info

Thanks for the info Huskee Funny I never thought of turning the chimney upside down. That will be helpful.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      My pleasure Steve.

I'm still using some cheap rusty ones from the outlet store. Before that I used an old piece of stove pipe. Are the Weber ones significantly better somehow?
    Last edited by Attjack; October 22, 2019, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Hard to say. I used a cheapy from Kmart until the bottom rusted out, which was only 3 years max I'd say. The Webers have a sturdy wire grate in the bottom whcih in probably 6 or 7 years hasn't come close to giving out...and being aluminized steel they don't rust easily. And they're only $15 for the large.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I almost bought a small one with my Jumbo Joe recently. But since I didn't maybe I'll wait until one of my cheapies rust out.

• TheQuietOne
      TheQuietOne commented
      Editing a comment
      I've used Weber and DIY chimneys. I give the nod to Weber. I'd love it if they'd porcelainize the chimneys like they do the grills. My last chimney lasted ONLY ten years.

This is why flipping it upside down is handy for me, the lighter cube fits quite nicely in there to light a smaller load of coals. Then just dump & go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0961.jpg
Views:	1222
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	470749

Comment

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      And you just solved my "how to light 15 briquettes for the PBJr." dilemma.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, duh! 🕶

Thanks for conducting this research and publishing the information for the rest of us! I for one never thought to turn the chimney upside down. Probably wouldn't work for me anyway since I use either the Weber Performer gas burner to light the chimney, or if using 2 or 3 chimneys for my big grill, I break off chunks of some Duraflame fire starters that I keep for use in my fireplace (I can get 4-5 chimney starters from one of those Duraflame sticks). I put the Duraflame chunk on the charcoal grate or on the ground (on a patio paver) before setting the chimney(s) over it.

Comment

The smaller chimney is great for two boneless and skinless chicken breasts. And 10 -15 briquettes in it downside up is enough charcoal to get the job done. Bonus is that the Performer with the gas assist lighting still works with it downside up.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to know, thanks!

Much appreciated Huskee. Very helpful tutorial. fzxdoc likes another small chimney over the web. I wonder how they compare.

Comment

Thanks, Huskee.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        My pleasure Hawker.

Thanks!

Comment

Huskee, Thanks for This Helpful Post❗️ Like jfmorris I Use the Propane Ignitor and the Compact Weber Starter to Light Coals For My Vortex Med Cone❗️ Works Great for Chicken Parts, Steaks and Salmon and Anything Else You Want To Reverse Sear IMLTHOP❗️
        From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1196
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	470824Click image for larger version

Views:	1163
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	470825Click image for larger version

Views:	1186
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	470827Click image for larger version

Views:	1174
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	470826

Views:	1173
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	470828Click image for larger version

Views:	1176
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	470831Click image for larger version

Views:	1187
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	470829Click image for larger version

Views:	1163
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	470830

Comment

Very good tutorial thanks for taking the time to post. I use charcoal only to light my sticks in the stick burners. I pour little less than a full chimney and set it on top one of the propane burners and in 5 minutes it's a chimney full of red hots. Pour it in the firebox throw some sticks on top and let the fun begin!

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            I must be the only person that doesn’t put charcoal in a stickburner. I just put in 4 logs (in the summer, 5-6 in the winter) and put the bush burner to it.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Me too. I use about 1/2 to 2/3 chimney of lit coals, and pour them in and stack my splits on top. I don't have the patience to stand there with a weed burner. We have lots of mosquitoes where I live, being woodsy and near ponds.

• Frozen Smoke
            Frozen Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            I probably use more charcoal than I need to start my sticks and will work on cutting back. I have a weed burner I could use but it's never handy it's in the storage shed which is not user friendly due to too much storage and too little shed!

There ya have it. Huskee ‘s test & Kathryn’s test ( fzxdoc ). Now go out & cook!
          Muchos gracias to the two of you.

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee - I think this topic/post is a keeper

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee we need to file this under charcoal or something appropriate. Your pictures in the first post are very helpful.

Done! tbob4 and jfmorris

Comment

I have been using the large Weber in the upside down position for starting coals since I got my Smokenator a long time back, well before the SnS came along. The instructions called for removing 10 coals lighting them and returning them.

Huskee excellent write up and well done

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here