Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Half a chimney"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Half a chimney"

Just a word of caution regarding measuring charcoal amounts with such phrases as "half a chimney" or other terms referencing the size of a chimney. Not all chimney's are created equal! My current chimney, for example, has about twice the capacity of my first one. Which explains why I had such a hard time controlling temperatures when I first started using charcoal.
    I think it's more accurate, and easier to communicate effectively, when we actually go ahead and count briquettes. Even if you know your setup well enough to eyeball your chimney, it's still better to converse in terms of number of briquettes.
    Just came to mind, thought I'd say it.

Good point Keith. I try to specify "Weber" chimney, but even that isn't too specific since Weber makes a Rapidfire (standard full size) and a Compact Rapidfire (half size or so). Other models are slightly smaller than the full sized Rapidfire. I have a cheapy Kmart one that holds about 75% (I'd guess) of the Weber.

Comment

An exceptionally good point... I count out 50-55 briqs now... Used to use 60... 50 seems to work better... At least it did the last two times. Odd thing is that with 50, I got higher temps in my pbc than with 60... But that isn't really more than a feeling since I'm sure weather variation plays a role. I know fzxdoc uses 40 and that a obviously works for her.

Comment

Great point. I have been using the weber compact chimney quite regularly and I've experimented with dumping coals to the top and then counting them. I end up with 38-40 kingsford briquettes 99.9% of the time

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here