Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cowboy Briquettes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cowboy Briquettes

I use to buy Stubbs charcoal briquettes. Loved the product. They burned hot, burned long and left very little ash behind. One day the bag changed to Cowboy briquettes and the quality was still there. A couple years ago the local big box hardware stores stopped stocking Cowboy. So off to find another brand to use.
    Recently a hardware chain, Southern States, starting carrying Cowboy. I jumped with glee and off I went to buy what they had in stock. Something changed in the manufacturing.
    I always shut down the dampers when my steak or whatever comes off the grill. The next grilling I use the remaining unburnt coals from previous. Worked consistently before with Stubbs and Cowboy and for other brands. Not anymore for Cowboy. The previous partially burned briquettes simply crumble when handled or jostled.
    I had a bad experience with Royal Oak, so never again. Not a fan of Kingsford Blue; it just is not as hot or as long and produces too much ash for my preferences.
    I am going to try B&B next. I am looking for economical. Inexpensive purchase price often leaves a lot to be desired. Expensive sometimes is just more money for a little or no gain. ​

I’ve used cowboy briqs pretty extensively over the last 2 years.
    never had an issue. My biggest complaint is the only place I was able to find them last year was Tractor Supply. The closest TS to me is about 70 miles away…currently using B&B for that reason

Comment

• Jessterr
      Jessterr commented
      Editing a comment
      Finster If I may ask, how would you compare B&B briquettes to the Cowboy briqs, in terms of heat output, length of burn, flavor, things like that. Just ballpark info, nothing detailed. I haven’t tried the Cowboy briqs as yet but comments here on the board have me intrigued. I do have a bag of B&B but haven’t used them yet. Also, what shape are the Cowboy briqs, by that I mean do they have grooves in them like KBB, or not like the Stubbs or Webers? Thanks in advance.

• Finster
      Finster commented
      Editing a comment
      Jessterr
      Here's a link to a write up I did last spring of a cook using Cowboy mixed with a few B&B Charlogs. It looks like I got 10+ hours of 250°+ cook time on my PBC..

Smoked a 9 lb pork butt today on the PBC. used Huskee rib rub recipe. Loaded the basket with half dozen char logs, and filled in with cowboy briquettes. (filedata/fetch?id=1221097&d=1652488858) lit 25 cowboy briquettes, let them burn for 15 minutes and dumped them in the center. Added several chunks of oak and hickory,

Oddly though, in the pic in the link, it looks like the Cowboy has grooves, while the ones I have on hand now do not.

• RichardK
      RichardK commented
      Editing a comment
      My current Cowboy have no ridges, the briquettes are smooth like a pillow. When my big box store changed from Stubbs to Cowboy, I did not see any change in the product; same size, shape and quality. I do not recall if there were groves in Stubbs or the Cowboy from years back. Now I think it is a different manufacturer or product. Cowboy still burns hot, long and with low ash, but the binder breaks down during the cook. I am looking to switch brands.

Academy Sports sells B&B charcoal for their regular price of $9.99 a bag. That certainly seems like a fair price, plus it's the best burning charcoal I've ever used.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here