Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just another Academy run...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just another Academy run...

Was running low on charcoal, so made a pit stop at Academy at lunchtime, and got a bag of every B&B product they had in stock except for the kinda pricy Premium lump. Also came away with fire starters and a bottle of Blues Hog Raspberry Chipotle BBQ sauce. Resisted various rubs and other things I saw in the BBQ section...

I haven't bought the char-logs in a few years. Will be interesting to see how I end up using them. In the SNS in the kettle to extend the burn time, or in the bottom of the kamado in a pile of lump, or even in the firebox of the offset...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1126.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.75 MB ID:	1389721

Gotta love Academy! Nice haul Jim.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah - I was excited that they opened an Ace 1/4 mile from my house that carries B&B, but they are $5 more per bag for each variety of B&B than Academy is. On this trip that would have cost me $20 more. I'll try the Ace if I am in a pinch and need a bag in a hurry though...

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      I have never understood that $5 price difference jfmorris . I thought I was getting away with something at Academy for awhile, but that's just their price. It's gone up a whopping $1 per bag over the past year, though.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve R. Here Academy went up $2 on the briquettes from 7.99 to 9.99 and the lump went from $12.99 to $14.99.

now get to cookin'

Comment

jfmorris I’m using the B&B oak lump on the right of your picture. It has a few more sparks than the Kamado Joe big block I was using but it still cooks great and is so much cheaper than the other. I’m paying $19.99 for 20 pounds at the local Ace Hardware. How does that compare to what you can get it for at Academy?

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Academy is $14.99. A year or so ago it was $12.99.

oh man! I was there today getting fishing gear, didn’t even think of charcoal or wood! doh!
      one track mind 🙄

Comment

B&B for the win! I noticed our Bomgaars (like a Fleet Farm) went up on B&B Premium aka brown bag to almost $20?? per bag. They'll have a sale in a short while though.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry to hear they raised the price.

It wouldn't hurt to ask Ace if they price match.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          For sure!

If that’s all you bought, good job. Academy is like Wally World where you tend to come out with a lot of things that weren’t on the list when you walked in the door.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I was tempted by various rubs and such, but resisted! I made a vow last year to not bring any more spices or rubs into the house until I depleted my stock when I counted more than 100 containers of rubs and spices in the pantry! Now I am only buying the basic spices like salt, pepper, and granulated onion and garlic until that happens.

You'll notice they put the charcoal where other stores put milk and eggs. TxF

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha yeah - back center of the store…

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here