Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lump comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lump comparison

So, inspired by ofelles recent post, and reading through all the thoughts, I’ve decided to do a test with Weber’s. I’ve been either unimpressed and or more likely incredibly intimidated by relearning, I’ve put it off.

When that B&B sale came on I was so excited to get a heap on the cheap, then there was a second offering on BB lump, so I bought another 4 bags. Enter @offeles, now I have a 35lb bag of jealous devil coming, Super premium & premium fogo, the B&B Texas super premium, I ordered a bag of the BB char1 logs, also one bag of Pecan cooking logs, and two bags of pecan chunks. I’m going to give myself a summer of learning various brands of lump and what is better about them for various applications, and maybe even when the briquette is the better option.

‘’not sure if any interest, as it would only be kettle or wsm kind of knowledge, but I would be more then happy to share what I think I’m learning as I go,

Love it! You may need a hatchet for the lump. Done of the pieces I get in JD are too big but knowing your style I can see you putting them to good use

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve read about the axe, I think I could use an ax, as long as it’s sharp, and I’ve wanted to learn sharpening ax’s so it kind of all works. Crap, now I need to research axes,….

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I do not use a slow n sear or vortex in my seat ups, so size of chunk and those accessories will always be an asterisk I use firebricks and build the zone size I need, separate sear sections etc.

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      I wouldn't worry about it, lump fractures apart really easily Richard Chrz
      Wait, I mean, Yeah! Buy more stuff!

Locked in this thread. Richard, I will gladly live vicariously thru your endeavors. Hell I already do

Comment

This should be fun!

Per FOGO, the only difference between Premium (black bag) and Super Premium (brown bag) is the size of the lump. Since I was always breaking volley ball sized pieces of Super, I saved a buck and started buying Premium. It’s got the same characteristics, IMO.

(There is actually not that much difference in price between the two, though, so if you like the Super you’re not missing anything.)

Comment

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        I found that to be true. The one bag of super premium I bought there were too many large pieces so that was the last bag I bought. It was a fun experiment none the less

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        I use the super for low and slow and the black bag for hotter cooks.

Looking forward to reviews...
      if you happen to have pics of your fire brick set up, would you mind sharing?
      I've used that method myself, but always interested to see if other folks do it differently.
      The SnS is a nice tool which helps get the charcoal up close to the grate, but the limited size of the sear zone can be an issue at times..

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I have lot’s of photo’s and I will have new ones this year as well. I will most definitely share, as I wish more people did this before they buy a SNS, I have no negative to them, if it helps people get out and cook, than I am super happy! But they limit creativity at times.

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        With just Mrs and I for most cooks, the S&S has rendered the Smokey Joe irrelevant; I can use the Performer with gas start for everything, turning the small sear zone into a feature!

Following with intense interest, looking forward to learning your results as they unfold.

Comment

This website offers an extensive evaluation of lump charcoal brands. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/dogfront.htm

Comment

• Smoked Transistors
          Smoked Transistors commented
          Editing a comment
          Nakedwhiz is the best site online by far for charcoal and lump reviews

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          Lot’s of places out there for sure, but I always have to test things out for myself. I’ll have to look at their thoughts as well, thank you,

Following for sure. If past endeavors by you are any indication we are in for the advanced class.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          I would not get too excited, while I’m already thinking of my metrics to measure, I’m no DaveD with his incredible documentation. I’m sure they are all going to test out good.

Stuff like this is one of the reasons I love the pit!

Comment

I have tried a lot of different lumps. I agree that at a certain point the bigger sizes works against you especially in smaller kettles and PKs. I’ve also found that other than Royal Oak, which is terrible, performance is pretty similar.

I do find that charlogs are excellent for low & slow at the expense of being much longer to light. Blue’s Hog has some nice ones as does B&B.

I have also found that more niche lump like Basque sugar maple can be very junky so stick with more well known brands like B&B, FOGO, Jealous Devil , etc. that are easily available locally. I am not a huge fan of ordering lump online given the shipping companies’ abuse.

While I have B&B lump available, I do like Masterbuilt lump because I believe they are using Kamado Joe lump (owned by the same firm) at a cheaper price point.

I do wish coconut charcoal was more widely available at reasonable prices like the Blackbear brand was as it was a great charcoal to mix in with lump to extend burn times. However, I guess Blackbear and coconut lump was a casualty of the pandemic.

Comment

• Alan Brice
            Alan Brice commented
            Editing a comment
            At Bass PRO shoppes, I got a bag of Kamado XL Lump on sale fr 29 to 19.. pcs were huge. I still own my trusty Boy Scout hatchet!

A few of the players in this summers self taught lesson on lump are here, the rest arrive tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	848C8034-A4F2-4BD2-BCF7-ED16FD1ADD17.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	1381261

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Ok - I don't see a green bag of B&B Hickory Lump..... just saying!

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a 35 on bag of jealous devil, and two of the FOGO line, I have a bag of pecan logs up there, as well, kind of excited to compare them all, each will get 2 various long cooks, a hot and fast steak, and a medium cook on grilled chicken.

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            Damn, you plan on TESTING don't you. 😁

PARTY at Richard’s house,,!!!!

Comment

• Alan Brice
            Alan Brice commented
            Editing a comment
            NO DOUBT!! Some classy coal without question!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here