Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting a Fire Without Wired Probes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting a Fire Without Wired Probes

The downside of my Inkbird biting the dust is that I do not have wired probes to leave on the grate to check my temps to know when I have reached the desired cooking temp. I am not quite ready to leave my Combustion ones on there, nor are they designed to do so without being inserted in meat.

So, I have been using my IR thermometer to check temps. Is this a realistic long-term solution? It seems to work fine so far. The back up is of course placing the Combustion + meat combo and having it confirm grill grate temp once it is hot enough and ready for the meat which is normal use.

I am aware of the seconds and palms test but I like to have numbers in front of me.

it is not really a thermometer question but tagging chefchrisyoung in case the Combustion can be used in this case.
    Last edited by STEbbq; February 5, 2023, 08:43 PM.

What about a Thermoworks Chef Alarm or the like so you aren’t using the Combustion probe? Not sure what the price is on the Combustion if it goes bad using it in that manner, but I’ve really liked my Chef Alarm for both, grate temp and meat temp.

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Not using the Combustion except for totally normal use when grate has reached temp. I will look at the Thermoworks.

Could you stick the combustion probe in a potato until it’s ready to go in the meat?

Comment

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      Or a ball of foil or something.

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Potatoes might be a bit wasteful. Tinfoil could work if it won’t damage the Combustion. I will have to re-read the FAQ.

• Alan Brice
      Alan Brice commented
      Editing a comment
      A hot dog?

Are you speaking of your PK? Does yours have the thermometer on the lid? Reason I ask is once you establish your desired grate temp make a mental note of what the dial says and the difference and then you can use that number for future cooks w/o needing to risk your wireless probes or use the IR. I know with Weber kettles & the SnS this system works rather well. This I suppose has its caveats like starting the fire in the same spot relative to the thermometer, etc.

Comment

I'm with Huskee on this one, and say just go by your dome thermometer, knowing it may be 50F higher than the grate level temp on many cookers. I've found that to be true for my kamado and my kettles. The longer the cook, the closer the grate and dome level temps converge however.

Comment

Yea! Huskee and jfmorris , that was my original conclusion a few weeks back as I don’t have the thermometer in the PK. I forgot about it and made this post and y’all jogged my memory. The PK order was right about the time the Inkbird died at Thanksgiving but I didn’t put together and cook on the PK for low & slow until late December.

I guess it would be this one:

The PK BBQ Thermometer by Tel-tru is the perfect accessory for the Original PK Grill & Smoker or any grill that requires accurate internal temp. measurement.

Or this one:

Tel-Tru BQ225 Barbecue Thermometer, 2 inch Aluminum dial, 2.5 inch stem, 100/500°F https://a.co/d/fvogWPN

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris yeah found the bezel so ordered the Amazon one!

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        STEbbq I assume the bezel is for a 2" dial... Cannot really tell what size the one sold by PK is.

Other difference is max temp of 500F versus 700F, but to be honest, anything over 500F is about the same, and way hotter than you are likely to be cooking unless searing a steak directly over the hot coals.

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris as near as I can tell both thermometers are 2 inch dials and 2.5 inch in length per their websites so I think they should be identical. And I agree on the temps itself. I am using this to set temp below 500.

If you are in the market to replace your inkbird.. Thermoworks Smoke X is on sale 25% off. While it isn't bluetooth or internet capable, the claimed range of the RF signal is 1.4 miles. That and it comes with the platinum rating from some website called Amazing Ribs..

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        The Combustion is awesome but I needed a grill thermometer really as I ordered the PK300 without one planning to use the Inkbird.

• RichardK
        RichardK commented
        Editing a comment
        I love my Thermoworks! I have a Signals and an Thermapen MK4. Thermoworks sends me an email once a week stating something is on sale.

I actually tried the IR thermometer thing after we moved and I couldn't find my regular thermometer (a Maverick). I didn't have a lot of faith in it, but it was better than nothing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here