Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B&B Oak Charcoal What is wrong with me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B&B Oak Charcoal What is wrong with me?

I've had a 17# bag I bought two seasons ago. I opened and used them today. I'm in the final stage of Poor Man's Burnt Ends. It will be about a 7.5 hour cook. I'll post the cook where it needs to be. My observation, 1st, I'm an idiot. Why did I wait 2 freakin' years? Lit chimney and was no smoke. So added another lighter cube. Again no smoke. But the coals were getting lit. Next after ashed over and placed in PBJ, got it going and when settled in placed Chuckie on. Temp got to 280 which is what I wanted. The recipe called for 275. The easiest set and forget I've done in the PBJ. It maintained as I sit here and type this, Smoke Receiver is at 280. It has been 280ish going on 61/2 hours. Another hour to go. I manipulated foil in the holes a couple of times. So, going to Lowes Monday for other stuff. Will stop and see if they have it and get some more. This is my go to for low and slow going forward.

Yup, B&B for the win 💯

Comment

B&B is great! Lump or briquets?

Comment

• RichieB
        RichieB commented
        Editing a comment
        Briquettes

Agree. I get it at my local Academy Sports and Outdoors for $8.99 for that 17.6# bag. I feel like I'm getting away with something everytime I buy it for that price. And I tell only a couple of other people about it, almost like a favorite fishing hole I want to keep secret.

Comment

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        The Academy web site doesn't even list it. Your store manager must be really on the ball. Lucky for you.

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        It comes and goes, as does the availability in the store, Bkhuna. That's why I kind of keep it to myself around here. The Academy website is pretty buggy anyway, so maybe that's part of it.

Agree on the B & B charcoal briquettes! They’re great. That’s all I use for low and slow. Sorry to tell you though, Lowes doesn’t carry the B & B briquettes. As mentioned, Academy Sports and Outdoors or Ace Hardware do carry them though. Got one near you?

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        If they don’t have it, pretty sure they can order it for you and have delivered to the store, no extra charge.

• RichieB
        RichieB commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea pretty much know their process. Get orders from their central location on Friday. Order Monday, get it Friday. That will work.

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        You can order B&B products on the Ace web site and pick it up from the store. The Ace in my town is pretty small and doesn't stock many charcoal products. Same with Home Depot and Lowes; cater to the gassers and pellet crowd.
        Last edited by Bkhuna; June 6, 2022, 05:01 AM.

On a kettle with SnS I could get 15hrs at 225 with B & B and about 8hrs with KBB.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        That's been my experience as well. That makes it effectively way cheaper than KBB, as well as overall better.

• Finster
        Finster commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to know if I'm ever gonna do a 15 hour cook...lol

I will try B & B. always used KBB.

Comment

B&B / PBJ!

Comment

• Alan Brice
          Alan Brice commented
          Editing a comment
          Thought you were a "C"er

Like everything else, it’s about using the right tool for a job IMO. For long cooks, B&B briquettes are clearly superior. No question. But for hot and fast, like Vortex cooking for example, I like Kingsford Professional briquettes. Plus the fact that Costco has a great sale on them twice a year doesn’t hurt. 😏

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Kingsford costs more here, too. For that reason, I think lump is the way to go with the Vortex.

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          jfmorris Steve R. B& is way more expensive here. Almost double that of Kingsford. At least from what I’ve seen. Maybe I’m just not shopping at the right stores.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Jfrosty27 I can get the 17.5# bag of B&B briquettes for $8.99 at the local Academy sporting goods store 3-4 miles up the road. Considering how much better it is, that's a better deal than $10 per 20# bag of the KBB in the 2-packs, sometimes more unless on sale.

Love their charlogs...

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I like these too, but they are kinda bulky to use in the SNS on my kettle. They make a great base for a fire in my offset, or in the bottom of the kettle or kamado.

• Red Man
          Red Man commented
          Editing a comment
          They work well for me in the SnS. I stand them up vertically. If I’m doing brisket or pork butt in the kettle I use around half char logs and half B&B briquettes. Gives me plenty of burn time to not have to reload charcoal.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Red Man You should consider the fact that jfmorris is a very old and feeble man. It’s probably hard for him to arrange the logs in such a fashion as you describe. Please..in the future try and have a little more respect for your elders. Thank you.

😂😂
          Last edited by Panhead John; June 6, 2022, 08:46 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here