Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Tried This Brand Of Charcoal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Tried This Brand Of Charcoal?

I went to my local Home Depot a while ago to get some more KBB. They had two 20 lb. bags on sale for $17.99. While I was there I noticed this Embers brand charcoal, made by Royal Oak. I’d never seen it before and since it was made by Royal Oak, I thought it might be pretty decent. I went ahead and picked up some, it was only $14.98 for two 20 lb. bags. Any of y’all use this before? If so what did you think of it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	5EA25E51-1029-488B-A879-86129A3C83E8.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	1226396

Click image for larger version

Name:	88962D7C-A56C-47BC-9DB7-C2DBA30A19A8.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	1226395

Have never seen that before. But for that price, I'd give it a whirl

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s what I was thinking, that’s a hell of a price! I figure even if it’s just good for grilling and not low and slow, that’s fine with me. I’m using B&B anyway for long cooks.

All I know John is Royal Oak sucks, worst charcoal on the market imo. I’m sure others will come along singing it’s praises, but I wouldn’t give you a dime for it or it’s off brand clone.

But hey, give it a whirl and let us know. Maybe a sleeper, but ain’t gonna match B&B.

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      I tend to agree that RO sucks. But I would try it for grilling at that price.

Okay, so I kept reading further down about how it's crap, as expected. Pass.
      Last edited by Steve R.; May 25, 2022, 03:07 PM.

They've had that for several years here, and I think its a custom charcoal that Royal Oak makes specifically for Home Depot. Royal Oak briquettes are ok, but also one of the shorter burning charcoals I've used.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      That was the first time I saw it at my HD, but I normally don’t go there for charcoal unless they’ve got KBB on sale. I’ll probably use it this weekend and report back.

I have used it in the past and it was ok but created a lot of ash. I too was my local HD today, saw the Embers at $15.98 but bought the KBB for $1.90 more and then, on your info went to Kroger for the $1.97/lb. choice packer brisket. I like the B&B for low and slow.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I’m a big fan of B&B for low and slow also. I’ve been using KBB for grilling and shorter cooks. Thought I’d try this and see how it does for grilling. It won’t be replacing my B&B I’m sure.

I bought some one when Kingsford and Home Depot had their falling out. It doesn't light well and leaves a lot of ash. I think it has a ton of binder in it. I didn't like at all. I don't use it for important cooks (like when I have guests expecting to eat at a specific time). I'd rank it a 3 out of 10.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your detailed response Bob, I just returned it.

Go ahead and use it. From what I hear about your cooking, it can't make it any worse.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      😂😂👍

I am pretty skeptical of anything RO does though I think their 100% charcoal pellet were a decent idea. FWIW, I think Polarbear777 ‘s work has shown that charcoal quality is fairly tightly correlated with price so you basically get what you pay for in general and charcoal at similar price points will perform similarly. So it is really a question of how much you want to pay for desired results in terms of ease of starting, burn time, and ash production.
    Last edited by STEbbq; May 25, 2022, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Well hell, I just returned it and exchanged it for the KBB. I’m not gonna take a chance on maybe going thru a few months worth of crap charcoal to save $3.00. Thanks for all the comments guys.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Nah, you're not wishy washy- you asked for advice and got the requested advice from folks you trust (or you wouldn't have asked in the first pace) and you acted on the advice given. That's what we're all about here. Maybe next time you'll try Embers just to see, maybe not.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee Thanks, you were a lot more diplomatic than what I was thinking about replying with. I would have kept some to try out, if it would have been a smaller amount, or even just one bag instead of two. Just didn’t want to be stuck with 40 lbs if it turned out to be crap charcoal.

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe I would have kept it and used it once to see if it's any good. If it turned out that it sucks, I would have no trouble ditching it and calling it a lesson learned.

Interesting comparison on burn rate.

Last edited by jlazar; May 27, 2022, 09:21 AM.

Comment

That stuff is the worst. Returning is the best thing you did all day. I guarantee! 😁

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Razor What was your experience with it like?

• Finster
          Finster commented
          Editing a comment
          I just read that in Justin Wilson voice...

• Razor
          Razor commented
          Editing a comment
          Lots of ash, burned quickly, didn't seem to have the same BTU as the Kingsford I generally use. Also if I shut down my kettle after the cook I generally have some Kingsford I can reuse. This stuff just disintegrates if you try to reuse any of it. As soon as you touch it or move it around it falls down through the charcoal grate.

I use that or other cheap brands when i want a hot and fast cook and dont really care for saving it to relight. Its got its place for me but never for low and slow etc.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here