Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flavored charcoal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone somewhere will leave a review saying they love it and their chicken tasted like basil sage & thyme. You know it's going to happen if it hasn't already.

Comment

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Someone here has to do it!

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Ignoring the fact that their rub contained basil sage and thyme.

Hey, they paid some good money to a few people & devoted time and effort, let alone the thinkin end of things to come up with this one. The real surprise is, there mustn’t have been any body in the organization who does any cookin or talk to anybody who does any cookin to ask whether they thought this might be a good idea or not. Just think, there will be some big wig thinkin, where did we go wrong?

Comment

Home Depot already fails to stock most smoking wood chunks. I've been ordering online for awhile. They seem to be kicking charcoal burners to the curb in flavor of gassers and easy-bake oven users.

Comment

Sign me up....I'm a sucker for slick marketing ploys.

Comment

I have not used these. However, as a gardener, I've been tossing herbs into the hot coals for a long, long time. There is flavor from it! Years ago, I took my herb tossing experience and developed BBQr's Delight Savory Herb pellets, which is oak sawdust with leafy oregano, rosemary and thyme tossed in before pelleting. Heat awakens and intensifies the flavor of many seasonings and it definitely does with these three! When making Savory Herb pellets, the entire pellet plant smells like a pizza parlor. We don't sell these as pellet grill fuel -- I did a test cook with them on a pellet-fired grill and ended up tossing the rack of ribs -- too herby. Savory Herb is good for smoke flavoring on anything that you'd marinate in Italian dressing.

The problem with flavoring charcoal is that most of the esters of the flavoring agents will be burnt up by the time the charcoal has reached optimal cooking stage.

Comment

• Caffeine88
            Caffeine88 commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought of you immediately CandySueQ and wondered about your Savory Herb pellets. Your explanation makes sense - smoking with the pellets or actual herbs makes would work, but burning it up in charcoal seems like it would just be a waste of time.
            I'd give the pellets a try, but a hard pass on the charcoal.
            Last edited by Caffeine88; January 5, 2022, 12:00 PM. Reason: clarity

• Wedunne
            Wedunne commented
            Editing a comment
            Good information! Do you toss fresh herbs on the hot coals or do you dry them first? We have a ton of rosemary and oregano, so I'm thinking of experimenting with that.

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Fresh herbs work fine, Wedunne! Good way to trim up plants. A friend used to put rub in his pellet mix (in the hopper) and run it thru the firepot. I think this may be interesting IF there's not much sugar in the rub. I've not tried it though.

Do you really trust or want to shop at a place that would sell those?

Comment

I think I know the answer to the lack of Memorial Day/Labor Day sales. Nobody at Kingsford barbecues anymore.

Comment

STEbbq BBQrsDelight.com does in fact sell the Savory Herb pellets that CandySueQ mentions as an option in their flavor pellet 6-pack.

These 100% specie pellets are made completely of the wood that’s pictured on the bag. Hickory is 100% hickory wood and Apple is all Apple! Select any combination of Flavors! Use Coupon e3fj32ap for 10% off your order! Expires July 31st. All Flavors packed in a 1 lb. Resealable Bag. Available Flavors: Apple, Black Walnut,

They apparently don't expect you to fill the hopper with these like you would their cooking pellets. Maybe you add a bit to the hopper, or put them in a smoke tube? CandySueQ needs to comment on how you use these 1 pound bags of flavor pellets....

Comment

• Caffeine88
                Caffeine88 commented
                Editing a comment
                Put 'em in a foil pouch with a small hole for smoke to escape and set the pouch on the coals. It only takes a 1/4-1/2 cup of pellets to get a pretty good run of smoke (30 min or so) and it's surprisingly effective. She hooked me up with a whole bunch of different wood flavors (thanks, Secret Santa!!), and I was very pleasantly impressed with the impact of the Mulberry on pork tenderloin. I haven't tried the Savory Herb, but I'd believe her advice that it works.
                Last edited by Caffeine88; January 5, 2022, 12:01 PM. Reason: Still more clarity

• STEbbq
                STEbbq commented
                Editing a comment
                I mean, if we can actually add flavor with these 1 pound packet, this would be super cool. I will be interested to see what Sue replies.

• CandySueQ
                CandySueQ commented
                Editing a comment
                When I had a BGE, pellets would go in right before the meat when the coals are ready to cook. I'll do the same thing with my Weber charcoal. Foil packet works great for slow smoke delivery. I toss pellets in my Jambo offset when I let the coals get down too low or if I want to blast smoke when finishing meat and setting sauce. Pellets are just wood afterall.

I have not used Kingsford or any briquettes for about 25 years or so and never looked back...
              My Okie Joe runs on wood 90% of the time and lump charcoal on the odd weekend.

My Advice: Don't believe the Hype!

Comment

I suspect the intended market for these is not people who actually grill or smoke meat. it's the spouses, parents, friends, kids, etc. of people who actually grill or smoke meat when they are looking for a gift to give to the folks that actually do the cooking.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Garlic charcoal eh? Thanks mom!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here