Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B&B Briquettes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B&B Briquettes

First time using B&B Oak Briquettes...I am more than Impressed....Nice light Oak smoke flavor...Nice steady heat for a long time...I felt the Vortex would be a good benchmark for its heat measurement per 1 Weber Chimney. This Briquette is my new go to when I can afford it...Even, steady, nice hot heat. It is a little pricey, but I say when you find it on sale...Buy a boat load.... It's that good!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6375.JPG
Views:	573
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	1146088

Name:	IMG_6384.JPG
Views:	575
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1146087 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6394.JPG
Views:	573
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	1146089

I always use Kingsford. If someone in the Twin Cities MN can point me to where I can find B&B I would like to try it. I have heard lots of good things.

Comment

• Mark V
      Mark V commented
      Editing a comment
      We do have Ace, I will look tomorrow, thank you.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Also Academy Sports and Outdoors carry them, if you have one.

• wrgilb
      wrgilb commented
      Editing a comment
      If your Ace store doesn't stock it, have them look up SKU #8023367, to see if it's in their distribution center. If it is they can special order it for you. 17.6 lb. bag.

I found it a little more economical on long cooks. I got more bang for the buck.

Comment

The Ace I go to is a little steep compared to what else I see but I do enjoy it for the looong cooks.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        They do occasional sales ($10/bag or so). Sadly, it's the only option here since there are no Academy's in this state.

I gotta find these after I finish out my KBB. You’re probably the 8-10 person here that has said this similar thing.
      Seems like it might just be the new normal. BBQ wise.

Comment

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been running Kingsford Pro from Costco for a long time. Guess I'll have to try this stuff too.

• Finster
        Finster commented
        Editing a comment
        @Murdy
        How do you like the Kingsford Pro?
        I grabbed a 2 pack at costco because that was all they had. Haven't used it yet, but supposed to have less additives than kbb
        Last edited by Finster; May 21, 2022, 07:49 PM.

• Rod
        Rod commented
        Editing a comment
        Finster My experience is they have a better start up smell, but don't burn any different than KBB.

I also prefer B&B, seems to burn hotter with less ash. Ace hardware is the source.

Comment

I’m a happy recent convert to B&B also. I was using KBB mainly. The first time I lit up the B&B, I noticed how much less dirty smoke and smell there was with the B&B vs the Kingsford. I also got longer burn times as well. Red Man suggested also using some of B&B’s Char Logs with their charcoal briquettes to extend the burn time even more. I bought some of those too. I recently did a brisket cook with a pan full of the briquettes and added 4 of their char logs to the pan. I cooked the brisket for 9 hours and easily could have gotten another 2 hours from what was left.

At my local Academy they’re only $8.99 for a 17.6 lb bag. Troy, what did you pay for yours up there?

Click image for larger version  Name:	ECBE529A-5FD8-43BF-8463-7E1D8169CD09.png Views:	0 Size:	216.7 KB ID:	1146165
        Last edited by Panhead John; December 21, 2021, 10:34 PM.

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          The price difference is Academy vs. everybody else that sells it. My Academy always has it for $8.99 (when it's in stock) and Ace and every other store that I'm aware of that sells it is $13.99. I used to think Academy was confusing the good stuff for the not-quite-as-good B&B briquettes this replaced. But it's been going on for so long, I'm not so sure now.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          I just did a little googling and in Troy’s home state of Illinois, there’s only one Academy store. It’s selling the same 17.6 lb bag of the B&B Briquettes for $12.99 vs $8.99 in the South.

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          My Academy is very hit or miss, as far as having it in stock, and lately it's completely unavailable. The cheapest I can get it now is $13.99 at Ace, and not even at my local Ace. I'm getting low enough that I may have to go that route.

I'm still working through my $3 bags of Weber from when Home Depot had that crazy sale. Will give B&B a try when that runs out.

Comment

• Razor
          Razor commented
          Editing a comment
          When was that?!

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          Razor Back in 2018. I bought a pallet of them lol.

I agree - B&B is my goto briquette these days. That said, it is pretty cheap here. The 17.5# bag is $8.99 at Academy (sporting goods store), which is the only local place I can find most of the B&B stuff. The 20# bags of lump are $12.99 there, so I usually go every few months and get a couple of bags of each.

Comment

Recovering KBB user here. B&B oak briquettes are my go-to now for long cooks. They are perfect for smoking on my Weber 26" kettle and the conversion from KBB and Weber 22" is easy. The number of lit B&B briquettes in the SnS XL is the same dozen or so you would use with KBB in a standard 22" kettle and SnS. It's getting hard to find them lately, so I'll still use KBB for grilling.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Same with me Steve. Even though the B&B is readily available for me, and not that expensive, I’m still gonna use Kingsford for my grilling, but B&B exclusively for longer cooks.

Talk about the Briquettes all you want but look at the Hasselback potatoes and grilling going on.
          That is more of the Pit Boss's doing.
          You Done Good!

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            10-4 those spuds look fantastic....
            I will never go back to KBB, just don't like them.

Name:	IMG_7181.jpeg
Views:	516
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1146288
          Here is a (horrible) photo of B&B and KBB side by side. B&B is on the left. It is slightly lager from briquette to briquette and has a slightly denser feel. The photo below is how I cook through 12+ hours in the Bronco. This is the first layer of B&B briquettes and char-logs before filling the basket with more briquettes to the top.

Name:	IMG_7179.jpeg
Views:	513
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	1146289

Comment

I'm in the camp of using KBB for quicker cooks (Vortex wings, burgers, etc.) and B&B for the long cooks. I still have a couple bags of Weber that I think are even better than B&B, but you can't get them in the states anymore. So I treat them like gold.

Comment

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              This is my take too - if you're just grilling something, KBB is fine. But B&B is longer burning, so for things that will go hours, it's my choice now.

I agree that B&B briquettes are worth using for medium to long cooks. It takes a bit longer to get them going sometimes, but lasts a long time. I like using lump for short cooks and B&B briquettes for the longer cooks. It is easier on our stomachs than KBB and has a better smell and taste overall.

Comment

Gonna have to give the B&B a try.
              they are my go to lump, but haven't tried the briquettes..
              Cowboy (repackaged Stubbs) briquettes and/or Kingsford original are what I currently use

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here