Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying New Things!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying New Things!

After being a Kingsford (KBB) user for decades, I came across some B&B Charcoal at a local hardware store and decided to give it a try. They had 20 lb. bags of Oak Lump Charcoal for $16.99 and 30 lb. bags of Char Logs for $16.99. Seemed like a good price. Brought it home and threw some of the lump and a couple of the Char Logs into the Weber Starter Chimney. I was impressed how quickly it lit. I thought it might take longer than KBB but I don't think that was the case. The other thing I noticed was there seemed to be less smoke during the lighting process. I threw it into the SNS in the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill and all I can say is WOW! It was an awesome cook (Ribeyes). The smoke was clean, the heat was intense, and the flavor was less bitter than with the KBB I have been using for years. The family couldn't put their finger on why they really liked the steaks better this time. As long as I can get B&B locally I may never go back.

It really opened my eyes to not doing things the same way and to trying new things. Will be doing a chicken on the PBC tomorrow. Can't wait to see how B&B works in another cooker.

Have Fun!

Loved the B&B briquets for long cooks in the kettle (w/the SnS) and the PBC.

Comment

I use B&B lump all the time; just tried the briquets with my new SnS set up and I'm really liking the briquets as well.

Comment

Agreed, it’s good stuff.

Comment

bep35 When I saw your post I thought, that’s exactly my own findings as well. It looks almost identical to a post I made a month ago, about switching from KBB to B&B. I’m using the charcoal briquettes and the char logs also. And like you, for long cooks, I’m sticking with B&B.
          Last edited by Panhead John; December 13, 2021, 03:34 PM.

Comment

I am a B&B fan. The briquettes seem to burn cleaner and hotter with less ash. The char logs are interesting, seems like they need to be combined with briquettes to get temps up but boy do they burn for a long time.

Comment

It's difficult to find B&B briquettes where I live, but when I do see them, I load up.

I see B&B lump all the time at Ace Hardware. I don't like the sparking that lump does; we live in a heavily wooded area and I don't want to be that person who lets an errant spark loose. Plus ecowper 's story about the lump charcoal spark that landed adjacent his eye put another nail in the lump charcoal coffin for me.

Kathryn

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                no more lump without safety glasses for me

I get B&B lump 20 lb bags at Academy for $12.99. Use it exclusively in my Kamado. I’m a believer.

Comment

• bep35
                bep35 commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a great price!

it's hard to find B&B near me. But I can get Cowboy Brand briquettes, which i like better than KBB.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here