Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kingsford Long Burn is discontinued.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kingsford Long Burn is discontinued.

Charcoal
    Kingsford Long Burn has been discontinued as per the email I received today.
    I used the Long Burn for low and slow smoking. 31 briquettes or 1 ½ lbs. lasted an easy 2 ½ hours in my Akron grill. The packaging states it burned up to 40% longer than Kingsford Blue.
    Now I’m on the hunt for a low and slow charcoal. My standard is Kingsford Blue which will do fine. However, using the Long Burn meant less opening the lid and letting the heat out. Overall, it made a grilling/smoke a lot less work.
    I shy away from lump charcoal for the simple reason you can not standardize a cooking secession. Adding x number of lump chunks vs. adding for example 6 briquettes. I see no reason to weigh each addition of lump to achieve a consistent and reliable infusion of new fuel to a low and slow cook.
    Many will dispute and stand by their use of lump and to each their own. Me I’m looking for a new long burning briquette.
    Research indicates that Kingsford hardwood Briquettes might be a fair substitute.
    From the hardwood briquets description:
    LONG BURNING GRILL CHARCOAL: This hardwood charcoal gives you high heat searing capabilities with a longer and hotter burn time than traditional briquettes, making it great for slow cooking in ceramic grills or smokers
    I still have a hopper half full and a bag of Long Burn in reserve. Think I’ll try Kingsford’s Hardwood before I run out.
    Opinions? Suggestions?

I’d recommend trying B&B briquettes. Alternatively, the Blackbear charcoal is pretty good.

Final edit: so gents, apparently, starting a niche luxury goods business right at the start of what’s shaping up to be a decade of global economic chaos wasn’t a recipe for success. Blackbear Charcoal is no more, if you ordered any and have not received it please PM me or @ me here and I’ll make sure to get some out to you

Comment

I really like Cowboy Brand briquettes in my WSM. Might be worth a try.

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        I see Cowboy lump all the time but never briquettes. Go figure.

• johnec00
        johnec00 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ace hardware here (Orlando) carries the B&B briquettes STEbbq

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like a great choice then!

When I had my Weber I used B & B comp char logs and they worked really well for long slow and low cooks. I would light regular kingsford briquettes, about 10 or so, and dump them on a full chimney of the char logs in the Minion method. Very consistent results.

rob

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        B&B charlogs are also outstanding. Ridiculous burn times but slower than briquettes to light.

• Rob whatever
        Rob whatever commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s why I use regular briquettes to get them started.

I use B&B exclusively (both the briqs and the char logs). I can get 12-24 hours in the PBC or 26” kettle or even the PK360.

Comment

• Rob whatever
        Rob whatever commented
        Editing a comment
        I would get 8-10 hours easily on my Weber with char logs. They work really well.

Rob

As orhers have said, I find the B&B briquettes to burn much longer than Kingsford of any type. Down side is they’re a bit more expensive and harder to light. I feel they burn hotter too if you want to use them for a more hot and fast application.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	A6A30F93-D50B-4C77-8803-F4DCE3A251D6.jpeg
Views:	952
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1110558

Comment

I would think lump charcoal would be more efficient. It seems to be the standard in ceramic cookers, and an Acorn is modeled after them.

Comment

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            Lump is not as dense and doesn’t pack as well so I get much longer burn times with briquettes and char logs. (More fuel per unit volume as long as here is enough airflow through it).

But for less ash, lump is the way to go.

Then again I can still get 8+ hours with lump so that’s usually plenty.

• LA Pork Butt
            LA Pork Butt commented
            Editing a comment
            Polarbear777 I can’t say I have done a long cook with briquettes on my Big Green Egg, nor have I done a cost comparison between lump and briquettes per burn time. But, I have cooked 40# of Boston Butt on one load of lump for 22 hours. I am not sure I could do that with briquettes with the ash clogging the air flow.
            Last edited by LA Pork Butt; October 16, 2021, 05:58 AM.

There are charcoal pellets for the pellet grillers. Have not tried them.
          I am happy with my pellet grill, and PBR.
          Having said that, I do enjoy and learning about other aspects of BBQ.

Comment

Another B&B vote from me. Briquettes for moderately long cooks and char logs for very long cooks. I can easily cook a pork butt or brisket on my 22” kettle with SnS with a single load of char logs.

Comment

For all you experienced B & B Char log users, I have a few questions. I just bought a Prime Brisket that I’ll be smoking soon in my Oklahoma Joe Bronco. As you might know it has a fairly large round charcoal pan. I’ve never used any type of char logs before but I’d like to give these a shot, since it will be a long and slow cook.
              What are the size of these char logs and how should I go about lighting them? Should I dump maybe a half chimney of ashed over briquettes in the bottom of the pan, and then place some char logs on top? Or place burning coals on top of the char logs? And should I fill my charcoal pan to the top with the char logs? I’m hoping to get a 10 hour or so burn from them. How long should I expect for them to start burning enough for me to place the brisket on? Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A622B2B9-CE5E-49BE-8598-9C9061645673.jpeg
Views:	942
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	1110731

​ ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Red Man
                Red Man commented
                Editing a comment
                I’ve used char logs in my PBC, which has a similar charcoal basket. I stood them vertical, with taller ones around the outside and shorter in the middle. Then dumped the normal amount of lit briquettes on top. The taller ones around the outside help contain the lit briquettes. This method should give way more burn time than you need. I think you’d be fine just mixing some char logs in with the briquettes and lighting however you normally do.

• efincoop
                efincoop commented
                Editing a comment
                Here is a review of BlackBear Charcoal logs. https://youtu.be/276Pl4m5cDQ I don't know if it will help you or not. I ordered dome, but haven't tried it yet. I believe the the proprietor is a member here on the pit.

B&B briquettes are my go to for really long low and slow cooks. I can get at least 18 hours or more with one load in the WSM 22.

Comment

I use the Kingsford Professional Competition Briquettes. I have never used their Long Burn so I cannot compare. The Professional charcoal burns hotter and longer than the traditional Kingsford, with less ash.

Comment

• tbob4
                  tbob4 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Do you also find that the Comp briquettes, even at low temps, have a much better smell? My COSTCO only sells the Comp. While I use them only as starters, I don’t have to burn them down to pure ash to rid that chemical smell I get with regular Kingsford. That allows me to add logs much faster.

• Johnny Booth
                  Johnny Booth commented
                  Editing a comment
                  tbob4. Yeah, now that you mentioned it. As soon as they are hot they are ready to go. I get them at Costco too, but only at certain times of they year. I use them as starters for the stick burner, and in my PK b/c it does not take a lot of coals to get it to temp. That means more room for the food in 2 zone cooks.👍👍
                  Last edited by Johnny Booth; October 16, 2021, 06:19 PM.

• jab688
                  jab688 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes the profile on Kingsford's page says burns much hottern than regular blue. However it did not mention longer burns. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks to some of your recommendations above, I’ve now found my favorite charcoal for low and slow cooks. I’ve used a few different brands in the past, usually KBB or Kingsford Pro, so I’ll limit my comparisons to those. Polarbear777 Red Man and Hulagn1971 thank you.

I went to my local Academy Sports and Outdoors after reading this post. I was surprised at the quantities of top notch charcoal and wood chunks/logs they were selling. They’ve really upped their game in this department. They actually had very little Kingsford charcoal for sale. Mostly B&B and some Jealous Devil. I picked up a 17.6 lb bag of B&B Charcoal briquettes for $8.99 and a 30 lb. bag of the B&B Char logs for $14.99. Good prices I thought.

For my brisket cook yesterday I filled the OKJ Bronco pan with the briquettes and 3 large char logs. I used one tumbleweed to start the coals at one side. Upon the coals lighting I was impressed with how little dirty smoke there was compared to the KBB. They also seemed to light quicker than the KBB. I noticed very little odor also while they were lighting. Overall I was very happy with my results. I was able to do a full 9 hour cook on this one load with plenty leftover. I’d guess I could have got another 2 hours out of my one basket load of B&B! Below is a pic of what I had leftover after 9 hours.

Attached Files
                Last edited by Panhead John; October 18, 2021, 09:27 AM.

Comment

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I used a few of the char logs in addition to the coals because I was told they have a very long burn time. I wanted to see how much time they could give me with the briquettes. Red Man is more experienced than me with B&B, perhaps he can chime in.

• Red Man
                  Red Man commented
                  Editing a comment
                  CaptGreg I’ve used all char logs (except the lit briquettes to get started). It works just fine. All char logs will burn for over 20 hours in my PBC and over 16 hours in my 22” kettle with SnS. I’ve started using mostly B&B briquettes and mixing in some char logs for extra long cooks like brisket or pork butt. All char logs just burns way longer than I need.

• CaptGreg
                  CaptGreg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the responses, I have ordered both, hopefully they will arrive in the next week before i head to the freezing north for a week.

I will second/third/fourth the recommendation for B&B briquettes, char-logs and lump. I get mine at Academy for really good pricing, and see that you have an Academy in Tallahassee.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here