Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kingsford -vs- Lump -vs- Other Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kingsford -vs- Lump -vs- Other Options

I've been using Kingsford for years. I just bought a Weber Kettle and have not been particularly pleased with the results as of late. I read a lot about lump coal. I have also come across several other charcoal brands at my local Ace Hardware. I'm going to look through some of the posts to get some insight on using lump coal.

Any additional information that anyone could provide would be appreciated.

for low and slow, I like B&B Briquettes. They take longer to light (and ash over) but they also burn much longer that Kingsford. I recently tried some Cowboy lump and while I see what others say about being able to snuff the fire quicker and so reliight leftover lump and about the lessened ash, eh. I like the predictability of briquettes.

Ace either has or can get B&B depending on the store. If a given store doesn't have it, you can have it shipped to the store for free on their site.

Last edited by rickgregory; July 14, 2021, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• PNWsmoke
      PNWsmoke commented
      Editing a comment
      B and b convert orange bag for me

• Arsenlael
      Arsenlael commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here. Really pleased with B&B orange bag briquettes.

• Daba's BBQ
      Daba's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I just picked up a bag of BBB last night; next up is the BB lump so I can do a little backyard experiment

I use lump charcoal for grilling and briquettes for longer smokes. Mostly Royal Oak for both. Many of the non Kingsford from Home Depot, Lowes and Walmart are rebranded Royal Oak that are deemed seconds after pressing. I have been using Royal Oak lump for years and aside from the occasional small rock have not had issues. Tried a couple of the unknown supermarket brands but they burned way to fast and had questionable pieces of lumber in the bag. You get what you pay for with some of the unknown brands. B&B is on my list to tryout over the next couple of weeks.

Last edited by Whiskeyman53; July 14, 2021, 02:30 PM.

Comment

The main advantage of lump charcoal is the low ash. I love to use FOGO, B&B or Blues Hog. Those are the best brands, IMHO. Good lump tends to be more expensive. But I think the trade off is worth it.

Kingsford is nice to use cause it is available everywhere, its pretty cheap and very consistent. However, it does have its own flavor (which I love) and it produces a lot of ash. I really only use Kingsford in my PBC because I can take that rig anywhere and it runs just fine on Kingsford.

Comment

I never cared for lump in my kettle, it's a bit less predictable since the sizes vary and therefore the volume in a given space varies as well. Not a lot, but it does. I use Kingsford Original ("blue bag") 99% of the time, for my personal preferences I find that I just can't beat its price, predictability, and its find-it-everywhereness. When I've used lump it was Wicked Good (before I knew much so I can't say if it's great or so-so), Cowboy (wasn't impressed, lots of dust and crackling when lighting), and Fogo (thought it was pretty good). I've heard tons of good things about B&B briquets & Weber, and I've also used Kingsford Premium with great results.

Comment

Costco has had decent prices on the Kingsford Pro the last couple of times I went there, so I gave it a try. I do prefer it to KBB, but it doesn't last as long when doing low and slow. B&B lump and briquet is usually spoken of well, but I have never actually used it myself.

Comment

I use pretty much all lump charcoal in my Weber Kettle,,,,,Fogo and Jealous Devil are my go to’s
            Kingsford Blue and professional I use in my PBC,,,,,
            seasoned red oak in my offset

Comment

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 On Jealous Devil, yes more expensive but long lasting

I use KBB in my 26" kettle and in my WSM. I'd use B&B briquettes more in the WSM if they were easier to find where I live. They last a LOT longer for low and slow and for smoking at 300 degree temps in particular. I have used Kamado Joe Big Block lump in the parrilla grill before as a supplement and that seems to work well in that particular application.

Comment

I use Kingsford original and Professional for shorter hot cooks. I don't really see a difference between the two personally. B&B briquettes are fantastic. I use them for long cooks as they last waaay longer than Kingsford. Weber charcoal is by far the best I've used, but they quit selling it in the U.S. Weber, B&B and Kingsford All Natural smell the best because there's little to no binders in them. I don't think Kingsford All Natural lasts any longer than Original either. Kingsford Original and Professional have a nasty smell when first starting up.
              Last edited by Rod; July 14, 2021, 03:02 PM.

Comment

I’m used to the way KBB performs in my kettle, so that’s what I use. If you’re not satisfied, give lump a shot. Why not? It burns and produces heat, so it will definitely work. It’s not like you wasted money. Then if you like the results, you’re set!

Comment

I too like B&B Lump and Briquettes as so many have already stated. A good bang for the buck IMO. Sometimes I use Fogo Lump and KBB too. I recently saw "B&B Char Logs" in Ace Hardware. Have any of you Pit Members tried them?

Comment

• PNWsmoke
                    PNWsmoke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Pretty much longer version of birquettes.
                    I mix log with briquette.

I typically use RO briqs for low/slow cooks and lump for hot/fast. My preference for lump is whatever I can find locally, from RO, B&B to Jealous Devil. I loved B&B briqs but they’ve been hard to source lately.

Sam’s Club has been carrying a really good briq under the Members Mark brand, looks like RO Chef Select to me, I’ve gone through 6 bags and am very pleased.

Comment

Wow! Amazing response. Thank you all so much. I'm cooking a few tuna steaks right now with some fresh corn; love smoked corn! Then I am off to Ace. Like everything else all of us do here, I'm going to experiment with B&B lump and briquettes.

Again, thank you all for your advice and insight.

Comment

As someone who used nothing BUT Kingsford for over 30 years, and lots of it (I used to use 40 pounds in a weekend), my go to these days is B&B. I like their briquettes, their lump, and their "char logs". The briquettes are probably more predictable for burn time and even temperatures used in the SNS on a kettle, but I've had good luck also using their lump in the SNS, and that is about all I use in my SNS Deluxe Kamado. The char logs are larger and don't work as well in the SNS in my opinion, but work well in my offset firebox or on the charcoal grate of the kettle.

B&B for me is available at Lowe's (lump only in 15 pound bags for $12.99), and Academy (20 pound bag for 12.99). The briquettes run 8.99 for a 17 pound bag at Academy. Ace carries it, but you might have to order it if your store doesn't have it.

I've done a lot of testing of different charcoal in the Slow 'N Sear on my Weber Performer, and the best charcoal I ever used for 12+ hour burn times on a load in the SNS was Weber briquettes, but those are no longer made. B&B is the second best I've seen, with the lump running 10+ hours on a load at 225F grate temps. Kingsford (KBB) is 7-8 hours, and Royal Oak briquettes are 5-6 hours on a load in the SNS.

Comment

jfmorris - great stuff! I just bought a Slow 'N Sear over the weekend. My brother/sister-in-law are coming over and I'll be smoking some baby backs, so I will be firing up that puppy on Friday. I'm gonna play tomorrow with the B&B on my Weber and see how the results turn out.

Gotta love this stuff, don't ya!?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here