Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meathead Enters the Charcoal Game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meathead Enters the Charcoal Game?

Meat Head Charcoal – meatheadcharcoal.com

... and yes, I'm aware.

Comment

• Argoboy
      Argoboy commented
      Editing a comment
      I am still going to make my own charcoal.

Wondering about this one. Meathead is a household name in the cooking space. It truly appears they are spinning off that name. I am not suggesting any trademark or branding infringements here, but that could be possible for sure. However, I am just questioning the name in general and wondering why. Just thinking outloud here to be honest.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Meathead was the name of the goat my parents had decided to raise for meat rather than milk. My dad killed meathead and my mom cooked him. At the dinner table nobody wanted to eat him because he was really no different than the milk goats who were like extended family.

It is obviously not Meathead and he is not involved as it is Meat Head instead. I would not be surprised if they are aware of Meathead but I doubt Meathead has legal recourse here just as I would have no recourse over my legal name. If the website was offering smoker reviews and advice, then that might be a more questionable area.

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      again, yes, I'm aware.

We definitely need another brand of charcoal.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL

Huskee , yes another brand of charcoal, yes!
    FireMan Charcoal! I do have a passion fer grillin & fer smokin! AND fire is my name, or at least half of it. AND as Huskee says, we need another brand of charcoal. Yeah, that’s the ticket.
    FireMan Charcoal. Has a nice ring to it. Available in gas stations near you.
    P.S. Meathead can have the lump, I’ll take the briquettes.
    Last edited by FireMan; June 27, 2021, 08:23 AM.

Comment

• BBQPhil
      BBQPhil commented
      Editing a comment
      FireMan is a better name than Meat Head for charcoal IMO.

Archie Bunker made famous "Meathead" but those were the days.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      That's how our Mh got the nickname.

• Papa Bob
      Papa Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      CANCELLED, you cant say that any more 😎😎😎

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      "those were the days" -- I see what you did there

There's no way Meathead would put a Kamado type grill as the header image... ;-)

Comment

While we’re marketing our own charcoals, USMCCrashCrew charcoal is sure to be a hit. Lump soaked in JP-5 for that extra easy light and impressive fireball! The JP5 makes everything taste like crayons.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNorcross View Post
        Wondering about this one. Meathead is a household name in the cooking space. It truly appears they are spinning off that name. I am not suggesting any trademark or branding infringements here, but that could be possible for sure. However, I am just questioning the name in general and wondering why. Just thinking outloud here to be honest.
        It is almost certainly infringement, but probably isn't worth the time and effort to pursue it.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          I suspect he doesn’t have a case against local burger chain Meatheads either.

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          They put a space in their name. That's gonna be the argument if it ever comes up.

I don't think it's an issue for Meathead. But if someone makes a website called Amazingchicken.com or Amazingbeef.com, then it's time to rally the forces. In fact, buying those domains ahead of time might be worth the hassle.
        Last edited by SmokingPat; July 13, 2021, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingPat View Post
          I don't think it's an issue for Meathead. But if someone makes a website called Amazingchicken.com or Amazingbeef.com, then it's time to rally the forces. In fact, buying those domains ahead of time might be worth the hassle.
          Too late on the url's

Comment

• SmokingPat
            SmokingPat commented
            Editing a comment
            Is AmazingTofu.com taken?

• DavidNorcross
            DavidNorcross commented
            Editing a comment
            Nope... available. Have at it!

So, I’m curious after all the discussion about the name, has anyone tried this charcoal?

Comment

OK. Somebody had to go first and try the Meat Head Charcoal. I bought the two 22 lb bags for $64.98. Free shipping to California. I will try it and report back. The website made it sound good. Not cheap but not all that spendy for high end lump with, hopefully, not much dust or tiny pieces.​

Comment

Well, I bought a couple of bags of the Meathead Charcoal. They shipped quick and got to Cupertino California in about a week. Then they sat in my garage during the coldest and wettest winter I have ever experienced in my 69 years in California. Actually, I don't remember the 50's much but they say the precipitation this year matched or exceeded the rain we got in 1952.

Didn't get to test out the Meathead Charcoal until this last week when I fired up the Weber kettle to grill some nice thick ribeye steaks. The charcoal is lump but nicely sized. Not so many huge pieces and not so much dust as I get in Lazzarri Mesquite that is readily available here. It burns quite hot, a good thing, when using lump.

I was quite impressed with it. Next test is to use the Meathead in my KAT vault smoker. Not sure how it would work in my PK as the lumps are a little big for the PK and it would burn pretty hot when direct grilling. I like my PK but the distance from the hot coals to the grill is really small. I use the PK for grilling by doing a two zone cook with a short time of finishing over the very hot direct heat side. Much easier to manage with briquets although I do use some lump too. If using lump, I let it burn down pretty low before grilling.

So, my first take on the Meathead Charcoal is very positive. It burns hot and seem to last a good amount of time. Also, the smoke seems very clean and neutral. I did throw in a couple of small chunks or wood for a little hint of smoke. After grilling the steaks, I shut it down and will have some charcoal left for another cook. I will try it again soon and report further.

Update: June 17, 2023. Tonight I did a 2 1/2" thick Tomahawk on my Weber kettle. Two zone system using the SnS insert. The Meathead lump was filled in the SnS about 2/3 full. Lit with the Weber performer gas assist starter. The Meathead charcoal, identified as Axe-Breaker on the bag, starts slower than mesquite lump. But, it also burns longer and sparks less than mesquite. I closed the bottom vents down completely and left the hood vent open 100%. The Weber hood thermometer said 425 and my Thermowerks on grill grate temp probe said 350-360 for most of the cook.

I used a Thermowerks needle probe to monitor internal temp. Took the steak to an internal of 115 and then moved the meat to the direct heat side for about 3-4 minutes a side. That took internal temp to 130. Took meat off grill and loosely covered. Internal temp rose to about 137.

When sliced, the steak was a nice pink for 90% of top to bottom. I thought it was a nice medium rare but it could have been slightly less cooked, maybe -5 degrees and still been in the medium rare range.

Guests were very happy with the steak. I did add one piece of post oak to the charcoal and got a very nice light smoke sensation to the steak. I would do the oak chunk again. It added a subtle but very nice smoke flavor to the steak.

So back to the Meathead charcoal. After my 3+ cooks, I can say that I really like this stuff. The smoke flavor is clean and quite neutral. If you add a chunk of oak, or other hardwood, the added hardwood flavor is what you will get in your meat. That is a good thing. It burns hot like a lump should. It is unique in that it starts slower than mesquite lump but also burns longer than mesquite. The net result is that you get a more controllable, even and steady temp than with other lump charcoals that I have used.

The difference between mesquite and the Meathead in the way that they perform is not extreme but it is definitely noticeable. I very much like the way that the Meathead seems to hold a steady temp longer than other charcoals I have used. In short, high temp grilling applications, this will not matter much, but in extended two zone cooks, the steady temp is a handy thing. I still need to try the Meathead in my vault cooker. I have a feeling that it will perform well there. Update to come.
              Last edited by briano52; June 18, 2023, 12:43 AM.

Comment

• STEbbq
                STEbbq commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice review. I doubt I will ever see any but it sounds like a good buy for sure.

• STEbbq
                STEbbq commented
                Editing a comment
                This is a great update. I will have to give it a shot perhaps. I think you can order it online for somewhat reasonable prices.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here