Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lump Charcoal -- Chimney Amounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lump Charcoal -- Chimney Amounts

I've recently started to switch to lump charcoal for any direct grilling in my 22" Weber Kettle. I like the hotter and cleaner burn and the capability of more easily relighting it.

My only experience is with Royal Oak and I'm going to be branching away from that (B&B and FOGO are the likely next steps) due to just the sheer number of itty bitty pieces in the Royal Oak bags. (They all fall through my charcoal grate.)

I've noticed to get a good coverage of coals in the Weber, I need to use a chimney and a half of charcoal, due to the wide range of sizes of the Royal Oak lump (lots of empty space when they are stacked in the standard Weber chimney) and that, as I mentioned, the itty bitty pieces fall through the grate.

Has this been yall's experience? I'm almost thinking of making it standard to use two full chimneys if I plan on using the entire 22" surface of the grate.

I haven’t done much and am just beginning to experiment. I am loading large pieces in the chimney, and after dumping the lit charcoal I cover the lit coals with the smaller ones. The verdict is still out on whether to continue the practice. Keep us posted as to what you are learning.

Comment

A Big Green Egg can run a few times normally on a load, and that ain't much.

Comment

One thing I have noticed from all of the videos I've watched.....I absolutely see why yall with ceramic smokers use lump. You have a nice basket and nothing to fall through, plus very easy for yall to snuff that stuff out.

Comment

Michael, one thing ya can easy to do minimize tiny charcoal loss through yer grate is lay a 2nd grate on top, or underneath it, turned 90° to t'other... Easy Peasy, an best of all, Cheap...

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
            Michael_in_TX commented
            Editing a comment
            ::blink blink:: That is not a bad idea, actually. At all!

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            It Works, Brother...

Reckon that's all that matters, where th tires hit th blacktop...

I have no problem with fuel. I use pellets. I have yet to see lump pellets.
          Camping, well, I use charcoal to start campfires, learning cast iron Dutch oven over charcoal.

Comment

I bought an old grocery store vegetable scale at an estate sale and measure my lump charcoal by weight. Because of all the different sizes that the only way I figured I could be consistent. It seems to work fine or maybe I'm deluding myself into thinking it works fine to justify the $5.00 I spent on the scale.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here