Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Used Jealous Devil lump for the first time....Wow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used Jealous Devil lump for the first time....Wow!

As mentioned finally used up all my other briquettes/charcoals so tried the Jealous Devil klflowers gifted me last Christmas.
    Wow!!!!
    Light up easily in my BKK, burned slowly but with great heat.
    To date the easiest cook I've ever had from a fire maintenance perspective.
    When I adjusted my dampers where I wanted them it nailed the temp, with other brands I was constantly chasing temps adjusting the dampers every ten to fifteen mins to keep it under control.
    I will admit it was not a blustery day here like others so that may play into my success.
    Great taste and smoke profile, compared to the funk that the bag of Kingsford briquettes gave of this was very welcome. I don't think I'd use Kingsford to get my car out of a snow bank now.
    Really slow burning with very little ash and lasts looking down in the fire bowl it still darn near what I put in ther in the frist place. I closed to dampers completely trying to smother it out, a couple of fresh pieces on top and its good to go for another cook.
    It is expensive up here compared to Royal Oak and the like but judging by this cook I'm willing to pay the difference.
    My .02 FWIW.

So how do you think it compares to Buffalo Lump, the generic brand at BBQs galore?
    I've been using their oak and hickory lump and been quite impressed. You think JD is better?

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      I've never brought any of, I'll call them up scale charcoal brands from BBQ's Galore so I cannot compare.
      From the beginning its been $8-10 bags of Royal Oak, Kingsford, Cowboy Lump from Walmart and Canadian Tire.
      Todays cook certainly opened my eyes, I still have a bag of FOGO to try out too.

• BBQPhil
      BBQPhil commented
      Editing a comment
      I used BBQ Galore's own lump once and never again because all of the sparks flying everywhere.

Glad you liked it!!!

Comment

Nice to know! I’ll pick up a bag next time I see it.

Comment

I got a couple bags of Jealous Devil and was very impressed with it. No idea if it is necessarily better than some of the other premium lumps like Fogo or Kamado Joe Big Block. I don't use enough lump to make that distinction. But it burned hot and clean.

Their Maxx briquettes are great as well. They are the biggest briquettes I have tried and they burn long and clean. I originally though Jealous Devil was a bit gimmicky but their charcoal definitely performs well.

Comment

Which Kingsford have you been using? I use the regular Kingsford BB and I’ve done their Professional as well. I haven’t noticed any added flavors or smells with it at all.
          Last edited by Panhead John; April 27, 2021, 04:08 PM.

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            It seems to be more a funk with Kingsford briquettes only.
            I can't compare to they're charcoal as not many stores in my area stock they're charcoal, they only stock briquettes for some unknown reason.
            When it is in stock Royal Oak costs less for a bigger bag than Kingsford. Me being frugal and all I grab the RO.

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            I was referring to their briquettes, I don’t use lump.

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Ok.
            I don't know how to explain it, maybe I'm spun....I dunno....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2124.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	1023666Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2126.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	1023667 I used it for the first time today on my Weber/SnS setup.
          8 pound butt.
          At 9am I loaded the SnS with Jealous Devil Briquettes. The temps stayed around 300 for 5 hours then started to drop. At 3pm I looked and they were about gone. I reloaded with some Kingsford Professional to finish.
          Now at 4:45pm meat temp is 190.
          Last edited by CRO; April 27, 2021, 03:56 PM.

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting, I lit they're lump at 8:20AM, meat on at 8:55, pulled the meat off at 15:15 or so.
            Still cranking out the heat.
            There was probably 2/3 or 3/4 of the charcoal still in the bowl went I closed the dampers to started choking it off.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here