Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New lump charcoal...to me anyway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New lump charcoal...to me anyway

Was at Seabra (South American grocery chain) and saw this and thought I’d give it a shot. At 10 something...don’t remember exactly, but less than $11, it’s a good buy. Nice mix of sizes. No junk in the bag. No dust. If you see it, give it a try.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5AB90478-945D-41BF-B332-A5A57D412982.jpeg
Views:	432
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	1022256Click image for larger version

Name:	663534F7-9C46-485E-A52A-3AA6EC61CB8C.jpeg
Views:	386
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	1022257

Thanks for the post Erk. Will keep a look out for it.
    Ya can never have enough charcoal.

Comment

Which Seabra? Elizabeth?

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Newark. The one on Wilson Ave

Just saw a bag of that the other day at the local Brazilian market,,,,
      I had just bought a couple of bags of Fogo so I’ll have to try some later on

Comment

Really? Brazilian wood? I wonder where they are getting it from?

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          sorry JCBBQ I know you were just sharing....

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          So what you telling me is that this source of lump will never run out.

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          My kitchen floor is Brazilian cherry wood.
          Looks like if they're not burning they're natural resources its harvested into hardwood floors

Have you used it? Is it worth buying next time I'm over there?

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I used it last night. I liked it. I mean, I’m not that picky, and we don’t get a lot of choice w lump where I’m at but this is half the price of FOGO so I’ll use it a lot. Probably will buy the odd yellow bag of FOGO for long cooks bc those pieces are much bigger. It’s better than Royal Oak which is the standard near me.

Ill keep an eye open in Miami FL for this. We get almost every South American product here (legal or not) if it is exported. Lots of awesome parties in the 80s from that!

last bag o lump I got was crap from the wholesale club. I knew it was crap, but I was out and needed more. Did not plan a long cook either, have not done that since 2019. So it did not matter if it was a lot of really small pieces and suspiciously flat pieces with joinery cuts milled in. Almost like hardwood floor scraps?? But naaa it can't be! Right?

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I've had some of those scrap wood pieces too - looked like window or door moulding, in one bag of lump I tried. I forget the brand though - it was either Royal Oak or Cowboy.

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          jfmorris I think it was cowboy. I’ve found all kinds of crap in some of their bags.

• SmokeyGator
          SmokeyGator commented
          Editing a comment
          jfmorris JCBBQ Cowboy. Got it from BJs Wholesale. I have found crap that looks like hardwood flooring, hardwood crown molding, and hardwood baseboards. But charcoal is charcoal.

I went to Wild Fork today and scored 2 bags of Fogo, so I have the good stuff now.

Tried Braseiro today for the first time... All I have to compare to is Royal Oak, these pieces seemed enormous by comparison. Had a tougher time than I'm used to getting fire to catch in my chimney, but once it got going seemed great. I was using these to start a fire with wood splits, had no trouble there.

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          The bag I bought also had big pieces on top. Bottom third did have a bunch of smaller pieces. I wonder if that’s typical. I bought a second bag but haven’t opened it yet.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here