Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not impressed with FOGO Lump Charcoal at all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCBBQ
    replied
    Haha last night’s FOGO in the chimney reminded me of this thread. This is the first time it was ever so sparky. 😳😳😳

Click image for larger version

Name:	253964F1-F247-4E0E-914B-640CCDD98876.jpeg
Views:	537
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	1018078

Leave a comment:

• JeffJ
    replied
    The last time I purchased an expensive bag of lump charcoal it was Kamado Joe. That stuff was fantastic. I'll use that going forward. I don't use lump very often. Like Mr Bones I'm usually burning briqs or sticks.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Interestin info, filed away fer potential future use...

Me? I got no dog in this here fight; I only burn briqs or sticks, at present.

Leave a comment:

• jumbo7676
    replied
    I just used Fogo (black bag) for the first time about two weeks ago. Ordered directly from Fogo online. Definitely had a bunch of sparks when firing it up (used a propane torch to get it going that I also bought from them), but I didn't notice any odor.

Leave a comment:

• Joetee
    replied
    I've used Fogo a lot over the years. If you get an old bag is gonna have sparks. I order from Fogo. I get two bags delivered very fast with free shipping.

Leave a comment:

• Old Glory
    commented on 's reply
    JeffJ yup the black bag is sparky and does have a bit of an odor. Try the gold bag huge chunks and burns very well.

• Ahumadora
    commented on 's reply
    I would say sparking lump charcoal comes from other non hardwoods mixed in.. I used to get that in Argentina sometimes and that charcoal had just arrived in from the North of Argentina.

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    I'm not invalidating your result by saying that FOGO (brown bag) is the one lump charcoal I've used that has no smell at all. I'm not sure why we have different results. I'm using it in a BGE.

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    That's very odd ..... I use Fogo Black Bag consistently in my Hasty-Bake and never have an issue with it.

• JeffJ
    replied
    I can live with the sparking. It’s the slightly off putting odor that really turned me off. For the price it should produce more pleasing flavor than Kingford Professional. It’s the opposite.

Leave a comment:

• JeffJ
    commented on 's reply
    The bag is black

• Mosca
    replied
    I say, find something you like and use it often. Doesn't have to be what I like.

Leave a comment:

• Onez
    replied
    I've gone through two of the FOGO black bags and the charcoal from both bags sparked like crazy (both with a chimney start for 325-350 cooking and Weber wax cubes nestled in the pile for 225/250 cooking). I did appreciate the FOGO lump sizes within the bag and the quality feel (density) of the charcoal, but have never bought FOGO black bag again because of the popping sparks.

I'm currently using a 40-lb bag of Jealous Devil charcoal and love it. Consistent sizes that I feel are perfect for my cooking needs and zero sparks. Quality stuff.

For reference, I have pivoted to using only lump charcoal in my PK360 because of the minimal ash left behind from one cook to the next.

Edit: I sourced both FOGO black bags from BBQGuys.com since I had a gift card to "burn"
    Last edited by Onez; April 2, 2021, 09:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    When I've tried it mine was also from Dave and I didn't notice too many sparks or any off-putting odors. I'm guessing ACE doesn't have quite the churn of product, at least yet.

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    replied
    I buy my Fogo from David Parrish and never have a problem with sparking or offputting odors

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here