Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not impressed with FOGO Lump Charcoal at all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    My experience is that the one you are used to is the one that is best for you.

I was buying brown bag FOGO, and I was also annoyed by the range of sizes. This year I switched to black bag; it is the exact same product, but with smaller pieces. Problem solved, and I save a couple bucks per bag!

• briano52
    replied
    OK. So, I have read some of the comments and reflected on things. I have never been concerned about sparking and assumed it was part of the deal with lump charcoal. But I have a patio made of pavers where my grill is and also a vault smoker so sparks don't matter to me although if you have a wood deck, they would.

I find the irregular sizes of the lump can be annoying as sometimes I have to break them up. I have learned that after they get hot and going well, they are easier to break up but then you get those pesky sparks. Still, I like the lump. I like my mesquite lump and the Fogo has been good for me too. I like lump for its clean, mostly neutral flavor, high heat and less ash than briquets.

I use hardwood chunks for smoke flavor. Chunks can be used for both grilling and smoking. Use chunks of hardwood in moderation as you can over smoke meat and get your flavors out of balance. I also use briquette about as often as lump. Hard to beat basic Kingsford Blue bag although there are some pricy briquettes out there that are pretty good too. Cooking outdoors is fun!!

Leave a comment:

• bbq_esq
    replied
    Originally posted by Walt Dockery View Post

Yeah I have some of a bag of the brown bag left that I bought a long time ago, I don't like the massive chunks even for my larger cooker (M Grills M1). Just seems unnecessary, and is more difficult to to dump a certain amount of lump into the charcoal basket when it's huge chunks like that.
    I also find the massive chunks annoying. I did a cook on the PBC recently and one chunk basically filled the whole started. I'm not sure if that's a selling point but I prefer the consistency of briquettes I think

Leave a comment:

• ClubMed
    replied
    The Super Premium FOGO is great. It is expensive. Sometimes you can get a great sale and free shipping from FOGO if you look. The black bag (premium) isn't any better than some knockoffs you can buy.

Leave a comment:

• BBQPhil
    replied
    Same as my experience. JD no sparks, Fogo terrible sparking. It might look pretty, but not around a house and wood deck.

Leave a comment:

• gboss
    commented on 's reply
    I had a similar experience with Fogo. I try to stick with JD now.

• smokin fool
    replied
    Just finished a bag of Fogo lump, I didn't mind it at all but will say I did prefer the previous bag of Jealous Devil lump I burned.
    Burning Royal Oak again and am under whelmed with its performance after Fogo and JD.

Leave a comment:

• Joetee
    replied
    I have also used it for a long time. The Sparks I get I consider that part of the entertainment of grilling. No problems whatsoever with me.

Leave a comment:

• briano52
    replied
    I have used many brands of lump charcoal and most of them spark to one degree or another as they get up to temperature. When the bed of coals gets hot and fully ignited, they all settle down in my experience. I have had good cooks with Fogo as well as many brands of mesquite lump. I notice that they all burn with fairly clean flavors. If I want a more pronounced smoke flavor, I add a few wood chunks. Hardwood charcoal is great for direct grilling over high heat. When smoking, the charcoal doesn’t do much if anything for smoke flavor, that comes form the wood you add to the cahrcoal.

Leave a comment:

• Sapatero1
    replied
    I used FOGO premium in black bag for first time last night. Sparked like crazy. Using in a PK360. Bought the FOGO at ACE. The sparking went away as the charcoal cooled in the grill. Last bag was Jealous Devil and had no problems. Not happy with FOGO at all. This seems like a moisture issue to me.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Dockery
    replied
    Originally posted by Walt Dockery View Post
    I use fogo quite a bit and it does often spark a lot, but I've never noticed an off smell or taste. I didn't know sitting can cause sparking, I like to have an extra bag or two on hand so it sits a bit before I use it all.

I mostly buy fogo black bag because one of my cookers is a Kamado Joe Jr, and for the smaller Kamados the consistent small-medium size of fogo black is about the best size lump IMO.
    Yeah I have some of a bag of the brown bag left that I bought a long time ago, I don't like the massive chunks even for my larger cooker (M Grills M1). Just seems unnecessary, and is more difficult to to dump a certain amount of lump into the charcoal basket when it's huge chunks like that.

Leave a comment:

• SmokeyGator
    replied
    The Fogo importer is in Miami, so it is almost a local product for me. But the last bag of Fogo I got was off too. It was almost all shake! This has never happened before. There is always some shake because that really can't be avoided. Even if a bag is filled with only large and medium chunks, some will inevitably fall apart. But to get a bag that is all shake and no lumps?

Something was definitely up. But unlike with Cowboy, I did not find any pieces that had tongue and groove joinery.

Leave a comment:

• Beefchop
    replied
    I ordered a bag when it was on sale on Amazon, and have had a couple of different cooks with it in my BGE. I noticed that there is some sparking and there were quite a few really big chunks in my bag. I've had to break up most of the pieces I've used so far. Overall it's been ok. No noticeable off flavors, but I am wondering if it's worth the extra price. I usually throw in some wood chunks for flavor. I can't say yet if it's worth paying more for this vs. the Royal Oak I find at HD. Will have to give the B&B a try (based on the comments here) b/c that's usually economical and available at Academy!
    Last edited by Beefchop; July 26, 2021, 08:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• frailinryan
    replied
    I used Fogo for the first time this week. I'm impressed with it. Good sized pieces through out, no excessive sparks, and taste on food is similar to other charcoals.

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    I’ve been buying brown bag, but I’m going to switch to black bag. I find myself chiseling larger lumps that are too big into smaller lumps, just to fill my BGE the way I want to.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here