Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not impressed with FOGO Lump Charcoal at all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha last night’s FOGO in the chimney reminded me of this thread. This is the first time it was ever so sparky. 😳😳😳

Click image for larger version

Name:	253964F1-F247-4E0E-914B-640CCDD98876.jpeg
Views:	544
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	1018078

Comment

• radshop
      radshop commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I'm talkin about. Charge admission for the show!

• kevinjay62
      kevinjay62 commented
      Editing a comment
      I used to buy mesquite charcoal from Sam's. It burned a really long time but it sparked excessively like in your photo. It looked awesome at night!

The last couple bags I got were horrible.....small pieces and tons of sparks. I'll stick with B&B....heck even cowboy was better than the black bag of FOGO.

Comment

• radshop
      radshop commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow - exact opposite of my experience. Interesting.

Again, I want to emphasize - the sparks weren't a problem on their own. Kind of amusing, actually. It was the off-flavor that even fully lit lumps imparted that was the problem. I have half a bag left and am hesitant to use it. The off-flavor reminds me of the off flavor I got using "Embers Briquettes" for low/slow. This bag is supposed to be for special occasion cooks and I'd rather cook with KBB than this.

Comment

I'm a fan of FOGO - especially the gold bag, but also the black bag (which is smaller chunks). I've never had the fireworks show you got. If you ever feel like trying it again, let us know the result. If not - cool.

Comment

My two cents is when I got Fogo standard (black) from Dave, it popped and cracked a bit when lighting, but cooked fine for both hot and fast and low and slow. When I got some from Ace, it was the forth of July on startup, but fine cooking (I think I posted on another thread). All good on taste all 6?8? times I have ordered it, so at least 30 bags so far. Only one foreign object ever in those 30 bag, too, unlike royal oak which like like someone put their burned down garage in there....nails, rocks, cement, you name it

Comment

I.have been useing fogo for a long time,talked all my friends into buying it,never had any issue at all...order direct from fogo..eary this january i did get a black bag with very small piecies,so did my brother,it did not spark but was very shocked at the size....most ,they are really large chuncks.....i have used a lot of b&b latley,lump ,competion logs,and bricketes in my pk...

Comment

I just reordered my FOGO, I’ve never had a problem. I did add a bag of Jealous Devil, I’m interested in seeing if there is any difference. Price is the same.

Comment

I have done Fogo left over from last year. It sparks a little. Looks pretty cool if you ask me. But it still performs well. I haven't noticed and difference from old or new besides the sharks. Once it gets going the sparks quit.

Comment

There's several different fogo variants. I had a bag of the stuff in the black plasticky bag. Doesn't burn long at all! I am mixing what is left with Rockwood to use it up. I have a medium big green egg and the firebox is small enough that you need good charcoal or it runs out on a long low and slow. I have used the BGE charcoal before (supposed to be made by Royal Oak). That's good stuff. Just got a bag of rockwood and so far I like it even better.

Comment

• JeffJ
                  JeffJ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's a black bag. Again, the problem is the off-flavor. I may end up using what's left as kindling for my OKJ. Very disappointing.

I use fogo quite a bit and it does often spark a lot, but I've never noticed an off smell or taste. I didn't know sitting can cause sparking, I like to have an extra bag or two on hand so it sits a bit before I use it all.

I mostly buy fogo black bag because one of my cookers is a Kamado Joe Jr, and for the smaller Kamados the consistent small-medium size of fogo black is about the best size lump IMO.

Comment

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’ve been buying brown bag, but I’m going to switch to black bag. I find myself chiseling larger lumps that are too big into smaller lumps, just to fill my BGE the way I want to.

I use a lot of FOGO and when I try another brand I have the spark issue you are describing. Odd huh?

Comment

i been useing fogo for some time never had any issue with sparking..fogo black/super premium yellow and the green bag...same good results with b&b lump/char logs/brickets..all very good for me..

Comment

I used Fogo for the first time this week. I'm impressed with it. Good sized pieces through out, no excessive sparks, and taste on food is similar to other charcoals.

Comment

I ordered a bag when it was on sale on Amazon, and have had a couple of different cooks with it in my BGE. I noticed that there is some sparking and there were quite a few really big chunks in my bag. I've had to break up most of the pieces I've used so far. Overall it's been ok. No noticeable off flavors, but I am wondering if it's worth the extra price. I usually throw in some wood chunks for flavor. I can't say yet if it's worth paying more for this vs. the Royal Oak I find at HD. Will have to give the B&B a try (based on the comments here) b/c that's usually economical and available at Academy!
                      Last edited by Beefchop; July 26, 2021, 08:09 AM.

Comment

The Fogo importer is in Miami, so it is almost a local product for me. But the last bag of Fogo I got was off too. It was almost all shake! This has never happened before. There is always some shake because that really can't be avoided. Even if a bag is filled with only large and medium chunks, some will inevitably fall apart. But to get a bag that is all shake and no lumps?

Something was definitely up. But unlike with Cowboy, I did not find any pieces that had tongue and groove joinery.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here