Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preferred Briquettes for smoking on WSM 18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preferred Briquettes for smoking on WSM 18

I really like the Weber briquettes, but running low and can’t find them anywhere. I use the snake method and found the Weber’s lasted longer than KBB. I’m not opposed to KBB, I use it for grilling all the time. Just curious. Thx

I don't think Weber is selling their brand briquettes any more. I don't have a WSM, so I can't help.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Really? That will bum me out.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry Richard Chrz - I just looked on the Weber site, and they are still there.

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I still have 10 bags of Weber left, I will have to be more choosy on when using.
      Last edited by Richard Chrz; March 29, 2021, 11:59 AM.

I don’t have a WSM, but use Royal Oak Chef Select or B&B briqs in my PBC. The later produces slightly less ash.

Comment

I usually use KBB in my WSM, but I ran a bag of FOGO lump the last few times. Less ash, but it burns quicker and hotter. I haven't tried it for a long cook yet, used it for ribs, a turkey and some chicken quarters. I really didn't notice any differences in taste or anything, maybe because I always use fruit woods for all of my rib and poultry cooks.

Comment

KBB works fine for me, as does B&B. You just can’t beat the sale prices on Kingsford.

Comment

I primarily use KBB and B&B briquettes in my WSM 22. It seems like I can get more time out of a load of B&B than I can from KBB. But for me KBB is easier to find and a little cheaper.

Comment

I run Weber charcoal, burns much slower then kingsford.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes indeed - I get 12+ hours with Weber in my kettle with the SNS, versus 7-8 with KBB. Too bad they discontinued it.

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              My 26 and a 2X2 snake with Weber gets 14 hours, my 22wsm gets 17 hours with minion.

• jpietrantone
              jpietrantone commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, too bad we can no longer get it. Those are awesome burn times.

My fave brand of charcoal for the WSM is Cowboy. They give me the most burn time for dollar spent. But not super easy to find near where I live. My fall back is KBB or Kingsford Pro.

Comment

Unfortunately my favorite briquettes by far were the weber briquettes. They are no longer sold. Been that way for about a year now. Best second option for me is the blues hog briquettes.

Comment

Weber did discontinue their charcoal about 6-8 months ago:
              Over on another forum, it has been reported that Weber Charcoal has been discontinued. It seems pretty credible with reports from the CEO's assistant and an e-mail campaign directly to this assistant trying to get them to change their minds. It's not available at Weber directly and ACE supposedly has discontinued stores being

I had just discovered it and was growing very fond of it producing far less ash and less start up stink compared to KBB. I'll probably be looking for B&B when my little stockpile of Weber charcoal is depleted. After watching the last year unfold, my guess is that whomever was manufacturing it (Royal Oak most likely) wasn't willing to bargain much with Weber during unprecedented demands for charcoal and likely being unable to keep up with demand for their own branded products.

Comment

As others have said, Weber discontinued their briquettes. I am almost done burning the very last bag I had of them, purchased on clearance in December 2019. My new favorite charcoal is B&B, and I've used their lump, briquettes and char-logs at this point. Their briquettes seem to have fewer fillers than KBB, and produce less ash.

The briquettes I advise you stay away from with your WSM are Royal Oak. I like the aroma from the RO briquettes - it has much less of a chemical smell than KBB to me - but it is the shortest burning one I have tested in my Weber Kettle with the Slow 'N Sear. I got 5-6 hours on a load, versus 7-8 with KBB, 10+ with B&B and 12+ with Weber.
                Last edited by jfmorris; March 29, 2021, 11:10 AM.

Comment

• jpietrantone
                  jpietrantone commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, I completely agree with you! I just tried the char logs this past weekend and really liked them as well.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  jpietrantone the only problem I have with the char logs is that they are just not a great fit for use with the SNS, as their size is such that not many fit into the SNS basket.

• jpietrantone
                  jpietrantone commented
                  Editing a comment
                  jfmorris yeah, I completely understand! I don't have that issue with my WSM.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here