Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charcoal Bags--Why So Hard To Open?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charcoal Bags--Why So Hard To Open?

We frequently buy bird seed in 20 to 50 pound bags. They are invariably easy to open--just rip the top strip open--regardless of brand. I've yet to find a single brand of charcoal or lump that I can routinely and easily open without using my pocket knife, and then the opened bag is often ripped toward the bottom, making it hard to pour. WHAT GIVES?

Good to know I'm not the only challenged person here.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Inexplicable, IMHO.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      HawkerXP. It,s not roadrunners (that are generally carnivores). it’s quail, cardinals, doves...

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      I only feed the birds during the winter here. I pay tuppence a bag.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      tuppence a bag
      Nee-Ice reference...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; March 27, 2021, 07:14 PM.

Yep. Without a knife it instantly becomes a complete mess.

maybe I’m just to impatient to slowly pull and pick apart the threads.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Nah. No, not "our" fault. Bird seed opens easily. Why not charcoal?

There's Malcom Reed and then there is a rest of us: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-FjCSiJZ26/?hl=en

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      EZ-PZ, And I thought the bag was for kindling.
      Glad I switched to a pellet grill.

I have trouble gettin' ahold of the thread on the KBB I buy...

Comment

Chicken feed bags are worse

Comment

Mayhaps, it might make me a "Candy-Arse", but, fer th most part, I jus usually take a box cutter to em.
        Shazam!
        >
        >
        >\\\\\\\\\\\\\\< Cat (briefly) on keyboard lol
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; March 27, 2021, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          Me too...well my Swiss Army knife (NO ONE should be without one—lol), but WHY should we need a tool when bird seed bags don’t?

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          My leatherman blade cuts almost as good as a box cutter. It’s always on my belt. I’m good to go :-)

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Willy , I agree with yer initial premise:why should it be so difficult, counter-intuitive, etc.?
          Should be, in my Ideal World, Easy As Pie, with Instructions... TEAR HERE ---->>>> comes to mind, lol
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; March 27, 2021, 08:09 PM. Reason: +?

I have no problems at all.

ACTUAL UNTOUCHED PHOTO OF PANHEAD’S ARM
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Panhead John; March 27, 2021, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          ....betchya can't tie yer shoelaces without snappin em though....

• POPPAJ
          POPPAJ commented
          Editing a comment
          I guess he's left handed.

• Clark
          Clark commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John Been window peeping at your neighbors again?

no problem at all. you just, "Pull from end of front of bag". and when the corner piece tears off in your hand, take your EDC from your pocket and stab bag repeatedly until bag is open. pour charcoal in bbq from open hole(s) in bag.

Comment

KBB Blue no issue. A can of tuna fish using a dang mechanical opener, whole other story.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            At work, I use a P-38 opener, which confounds my Co-workers greatly... lol!

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr. Bones - We called those "John Wayne" for some unexplained reason. Always had one on the chain with my dog tags.
            Last edited by Bkhuna; March 28, 2021, 08:56 AM.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup., Brother...

John Wayne. Indeed....

It's all things or one thing, but it's always something. I can buy a dozen eggs and the box will pop open if you just look at it wrong. I bought some new drill bits the other day that were in a bubble pac so tough I used my tin snips to open them. All bags challenge me, bird feed, corn for the deer, salt for the water softener, charcoal, and lawn fertilizer, I've been cutting them open with my old Case pocket knife for years.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            It is, in my own personal opinion, rather a good thing, for us, this whole Evolving thang!
            Alternate paths are contraindicated

We had some items in the local outdoor store that were sealed in that really hard plastic that scissors could barely cut open. One day we find one of those packages empty, stored in an empty boot slot and COVERED IN BLOOD. Seems the person was able to rip it open, along with some rather sharp edges.

Comment

It's a test.

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              Welcome to the ....... well, talking side of the Pit!

I typically tear the bag to shreds and then dump the charcoal into a container. I have zero patience...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here