Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coconut Charcoal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coconut Charcoal

Good Day All,

A while ago, I bought a 20 lb box of coconut charcoal. They're hexagon shaped longer sticks...
    I'd like to try them out in my 22" kettle tomorrow.

Any tips out there for me? How many do I need to get to about 250 degrees? How many should I light, and will they work in a doughnut method?

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

I don't have a clue.
    But, I wonder if there are Coconut pellets for my pellet grill.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      they do, but you go ahead and try 'em first

I use them for longer cooks in my kettle with slow n sear. I start with ~12ish lit reg kingsford coals in one side then lay the hex logs end to end long ways up against them. Ive found this gives a pretty darn solid 250-275 for a long time. Ill see if i have a picture to add for clarity.
    Last edited by grantgallagher; March 27, 2021, 07:11 AM.

Comment

• UncleSpike
      UncleSpike commented
      Editing a comment
      I would love to see a picture.

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought i had one but i must not have saved it. Sorry.

The advertising claiming coconut charcoal is preventing trees from being cut down is a good bit of nonsense. Anything being used for charcoal is waste wood. That being said, I'll probably try it because I like to experiment.

ZENFIYAH provides quality eco-friendly coconut charcoal briquettes. Our coconut charcoal is the best grill charcoal alternative. Shop with us today!

Comment

• TheQuietOne
      TheQuietOne commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sorry, I guess my comment wasn't clear. I believe their implication is that their charcoal saves trees when you use it as opposed to using conventional, hardwood-based, charcoal. I'm sure nobody is felling hardwood trees exclusively to make charcoal. It's the scrap limbs that are too small to be made into lumber that are being used. If it wasn't used to make charcoal it would be burnt or chipped.

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      I totally read your comment incorrectly, sorry about that.

• TheQuietOne
      TheQuietOne commented
      Editing a comment
      No problem at all dkadare. We all do it from time to time.

Home Depot has a different and cheaper brand.

Still, doesn't seem a little pricey for charcoal?

Comment

• UncleSpike
      UncleSpike commented
      Editing a comment
      I paid $40 CDN for 20 lbs.

Well, that stuff is impressive. I lit six sticks, and i couldn't keep my temp below 300 degrees for over three hours. It burns much hotter, and for much longer than anything else I've tried. After five hours I added two more unlit pieces. Total of 7.5 hours burn time to cook this small butt, and I added a small ham later in the afternoon. Definitely worth the money for a longer cook...
    Attached Files

Comment

That is indeed impressive.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here