Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HEB Charcoal, a Winner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HEB Charcoal, a Winner

Thought this was an interesting article on this guys opinion and test of some popular charcoal sold here in Texas. Seems he overwhelmingly liked the HEB brand. Just bought a bag while grocery shopping today, will report the results.

BTW, anyone hear of charcoals sales at places like Lowe’s and/or HD ?

I hear of charcoal sales at Lowe’s and Home Depot all the time but never in my local stores.

Oh well. I just bought two bags of FOGO from SNS.

Comment

Starting this week, my local Costco carries 2 packs of Kingsford Pro for $19.99. They usually have them all the way through Labor Day. I use that in the WSM and Fogo in the Hasty-Bake (which I get from SnS).

Comment

Troutman Home Depot and Lowe’s have sales on Kingsford at least twice a year or so. Always Memorial Day and Labor Day at least. Just about 4 or 5 years ago it used to be 2- 20 lb. bags for $10.! Now when they go on sale it’s usually 2 18 lb. bags for $12.99 or so. Also......another reason to love HEB.
        Last edited by Panhead John; March 20, 2021, 03:40 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Sadly, I never saw even the $12.99 sales at all last year. Right now I am down to the LAST 2 pack of bags I bought in 2018 for $9.98. But I will be glad when it is gone, as I am not the fan of KBB that I once was.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea I know those sales, too bad we’re not there yet and I’m out of charcoal.

Interesting that they mixed it up doing briquettes, extruded logs, and lump. Most folks doing comparison stay within a single format. I'm a consistent lump guy, not for any particular reason other than it's what I prefer. I will admit that the extrusions are interesting for longer cooks though, at least as part of the total fuel load if not completely. Personally I find Royal Oak lump very poor, usually lots of small junk chunks and lots of dust. If they think that's "average", which they rated it, then they have a low opinion of lump. I'm not surprised that flavor wasn't much commented on, only briefly, but there's no substitute for real chunks of log if flavor is the objective (IMO).

Comment

Great, just keep rubbing in the benefits of HEB.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Not so sure if it’s beneficial yet or not. The report may be by some HEB employee trying to hype their product. I’m just running out of fuel and need to make a purchase soon.

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            Hopefully its better than the time i tried the harris teeter brand of charcoal. Good lord that stuff burned fast and dirty.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here