Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Sale: BlackBear Charcoal Hex Logs - pure coconut hexagonal briquettes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Sale: BlackBear Charcoal Hex Logs - pure coconut hexagonal briquettes

Final edit:

so gents, apparently, starting a niche luxury goods business right at the start of what’s shaping up to be a decade of global economic chaos wasn’t a recipe for success. Blackbear Charcoal is no more, if you ordered any and have not received it please PM me or @ me here and I’ll make sure to get some out to you (along with a refund) when I head up and clear out the storage unit of remaining stock. Thanks for all y’all’s support, I’ll always be appreciative of both the kind words and sales.

Thanks again everyone,
    Nick

Hello to all my fellow Pit Members!

I am extremely proud to introduce my new product, available as of today on my website http://www.blackbearcharcoal.com.

This is a new product that I'm bringing to market, which I have worked extremely hard to make happen in spite of the current difficult circumstances all of us are facing with the virus. After trying every type and brand of charcoal I could get my hands on and being disappointed with all of them in some way. I started this journey with a simple vision, to make the charcoal I wished was available at a price better than the competition.

Although a CPA by profession, I didn't have a clue what I was getting into when I jumped into the deep end of international business, logistics, online retail, and online marketing and I've gotten quite the "education" along the way to put it mildly. Adding in a pandemic was just the cherry on top.

However, with the help of some good people, the support of my wonderful wife, and a lot of hard work. I have what I believe to be the best product available and I hope ya'll will agree after trying it.

Enough with the back story, on to the nuts and bolts.

My charcoal is sold in 11lb thick cardboard boxes with a plastic strap for durability and ease of carry, the charcoal is wrapped in an inner plastic liner to protect against moisture, it is made from the shells of mature coconuts recycled from the food and beverage industry, and each box consists of 18 pieces roughly 4.5in long x 2.5in (diameter). Why coconut? Because coconut shells are extremely dense and thus provide an extremely high fixed carbon % in the finished product, superior to all but a handful of a rare woods better suited for making furniture than ribs.

My product is eco-friendly / sustainable, has superior burn characteristics to every other product I've tested, and being truly "lump charcoal" formed into a briquette will burn both consistently every time like briquettes & clean enough to use in kamados like lump. Being a premium grade fully carbonized briquette smoke output will be very low, allowing you complete control over the amount of smoke in your food.

The dense blocks will produce extreme heat for quick sears or exceptional burn time when going low and slow. Like lump, expect 2-4 uses per piece if snuffed after use.

The price I'm offering these at, are fair for the quality of materials used and in line with other boutique makers (Fogo, Rockwood etc) and significantly lower than my direct competitors Charblox and Pok Pok Thaan. For the more "price conscious" among us, keep in mind you're looking at anywhere from double to quadruple what you could expect from the same weight of Kingsford. And they make outstanding supplements to your regular charcoal, 1 or 2 logs thrown in the bottom of an SNS with KBB piled on top will drastically increase your time between refills. Same with a stick burner, toss a Hex Log or two in to increase consistency & decrease refills without affecting the flavor in the slightest.

What you can expect in every box is the highest grade alternative to traditional Japanese binchotan charcoal, made to the exacting standards of that market, and designed by yours truly to balance the best burn characteristics with a size that makes sense for the grills we use everyday.

Our moto is Burns Long, Burns Pure, Burns Hot and we stand by that.

Where to buy:

They're available now on my Shopify website: www.blackbearcharcoal.com for $30
    They will be available on Amazon with Prime shipping next week for $28.

However, for everyone here in the Pit, AMZRIBS2020 will take 20% off your first order from my website. This code will work until August 31st.

https://www.blackbearcharcoal.com/discount/AMZRIBS2020 This link will take you to the website and automatically apply the discount code at checkout.

If anyone has a very active social media presence and is interested in being part of Team Blackbear, I'd be happy to discuss it in a private message.

PS: I'm still working on putting the finishing touches on my website, due to Covid I was unable to acquire products for marketing purposes. Long and not very interesting story, I got product samples but not in my box design so I'm playing catch up with product photos/ videos. The Charcoal tips / lighting instructions looks very Win 95 without pictures LOL, but I'm taking Friday off to get that fixed.

PPS: I got about 5.4k of these so tell a friend, haha. But seriously, if you decide to buy and like the charcoal please leave a review or tag me on social media (#BlackBearCharcoal #BlackBearHexLogs) every little bit helps.

If you hate it that's fine too and I'm sorry in advance I wasn't able to leave you a satisfied customer.

UPDATE: Blackbear Charcoal Hex Logs are now available through Amazon. Unfortunately, due to issues still being sorted out we are not Prime at this time.

However, we do ship via FedEx home delivery and even going all the way to Washington State you should expect no more than 4 days. AND the Amazon price is set at $27.99 with free shipping.

This link will take you directly to my store: www.amazon.com/shops/blackbearcharcoal
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TNPIGBBQ; August 23, 2022, 05:19 PM.

Congratulations on your venture and wish you every success going forward. Sounds like a great product from the overview.

Comment

• TNPIGBBQ
      TNPIGBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

I don't understand your correlation with bintochan. Please elaborate. Thanks.

Comment

• TNPIGBBQ
      TNPIGBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Log style briquettes are the less expensive and more environmentally friendly alternative to binchotan.

Binchotan is made from a specific species of Japanese oak tree and takes several months per batch. It’s without a doubt the best charcoal in the world. Fascinating process, but expensive and severely limited. Japan isn’t that big and densely populated.

Mature coconut ‘log style’ briquettes, are the preferred alternative as they’re nearly as good while costing a fraction of the price.

Are you based in the US? Website says it cant be shipped to my address and im in NJ.

Comment

• TNPIGBBQ
      TNPIGBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes sir, as my username suggests I’m located in TN.

I’ll figure out what’s wrong with the shipping ASAP and report back.

That's really cool. I'm assuming they'll fit in a PBC.

Comment

• TNPIGBBQ
      TNPIGBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Absolutely!

With the PBC, as you well know, operating off a principle of a fixed amount of charcoal with a fixed amount of airflow to provide a hands off cooking experience. It would be a might pricey to use Hex Logs exclusively.

A couple Hex Logs thrown in the mix though, would work really well to get those temps way up for wings or to supplement when you're packing it full with multiple briskets or butts. Something that's given me trouble in the past.

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Just got my first box! Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow.

Originally posted by grantgallagher View Post
    Are you based in the US? Website says it cant be shipped to my address and im in NJ.
    Could you try again and send me a PM with more info if it doesn't work? When I put in a random address in NJ (the Trenton Court house) it appears to be working correctly.

Does the issue come after you've gotten to the payment screen?

Click image for larger version

Name:	NJ example.PNG
Views:	1255
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	888078

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      PM sent with a photo of the screen. Still same thing happening for me.

For some reason the website is blocked by my work. I am not sure why, but it blocks a lot of stuff. I work for a defense contractor and maybe they don't want us dreaming about grilling.

Comment

Sounds cool. Some pictures on the website showing the stacking methods would help. Specially how they would stack in a SnS or regular kettle base would be nice.

Comment

• TNPIGBBQ
        TNPIGBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Absolutely!

I took Friday off to update that and I will be using a kettle with an SNS for pics.

Can you expand a bit more on how to use these if you are mixing them with B&B charlogs? I have a Masterbuilt Gravity 560, and I'm trying to decide if they would work best mixed into the hopper throughout the column, or if they need to be down near the lighting? I suppose that's up to experimentation too.

Comment

• TNPIGBBQ
        TNPIGBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        They’re similar to Charlogs, I would just mix them in. I don’t own a Masterbuilt (yet, haha) so I cant provide specific recommendations based on experience.

However if it was me, I’d mix them throughout the column to provide a steady mix top to bottom in the hopper. Would help keep temps steady.

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you!

May I suggest adding a location and where you are based in your descripton and contact page. Also I find using Instagram with good pics for free publicity works good. I have a site with about 15k visitors per month. Most come from Google organic search.

Comment

• TNPIGBBQ
        TNPIGBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the feed back!

I’m still working on the website, so I’ll add that to the list.

Made my first IG post today. Still getting a hang for how to advertise on social media.

Also, how would you compare it to quebracho charcoal?

Comment

• TNPIGBBQ
        TNPIGBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        About the same. Quebracho is very good stuff.

Not trying to be a nay sayer but those prices are pretty steep. I have been using coconut husk charcoal for quite a while. You can easily find a 23lb box offered by Napoleon on Amazon Prime for $32.

Comment

• TNPIGBBQ
        TNPIGBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m not Napoleon. I can’t compete on a per unit basis with an international grilling company.

My two direct competitors are Pok Pok & Charblox. Mine is both cheaper and higher quality. I’m happy with that, if this is successful prices will go down in the future as my economy of scale increases.

• tiewunon
        tiewunon commented
        Editing a comment
        I hear you but even back in the day when I was buying Richard Johnsons (RJ) coconut lump from the Kamado Company it was around $10 for a 15lb box.

Sure, I'll bite. Got a box ordered. I have been trying a few new (new to me at least) charcoals lately and love trying new stuff.

Comment

Very cool! I would love to try some of these. I have used a similar product in the past for some direct grilling and I loved them.

Comment

I’ll definitely place an order when it hits Amazon. Looking forward to trying it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here