Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random smoker...how do you really know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random smoker...how do you really know?

I stumbled across this website today while randomely looking around at smokers. https://www.cluffironworks.com/products

As you can see, this company made two smokers that sure look, well, substantial.

My question: How does anyone really know if an unknown (at least to me ) smoker is any good or not?
    Last edited by Arsenlael; May 17, 2020, 08:20 PM.

Ask for close ups of the welds, casters, latches, dampers, and hinges. Ask how thick the steel is on the firebox and we'll as the chimney. Then you kinda gotta know how to eyeball air and smoke flow.

Comment

See if Max Good has reviewed it.

Kathryn

Comment

That's a really nice looking rig for the price, based on the photos and description. Hopefully you can find an independent review, or at least some feedback from someone who has used them.

Comment

Of those two, the square one seems to make more sense than the round one to me, just due to the shape of the cooking grates.

Seems substantial, but its hard to know much seeing just a few pictures on the Internet.

Comment

Yes I seem to keep seeing smokers for sale that appear more like one-off builds and I'm always skeptical. On the one hand, I have no reason to think builders like this DON'T know what they are doing. On the other hand, I've got no reason to trust it either.

In this particular case, it appears that this is a shop that specializes in laser cutting metal to very precise shapes. I wonder if they got hold of a bunch of data sheets they loaded in to their cutter and basically cut and assembled a model or kit. That being said, the pictures sure look nice.

I don't live there so am not going to buy it. Things like this just always make me wonder about how to find out quality without basically giving it a whirl.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              I think you hit the nail on the head - I was looking at the website, and as you said, its a artsy metal cutting place that seems to just have added two smokers to their lineups. I would go with someone that specializes in smokers before shelling out $2K or more.

Seems like every metal fabricator in the US with a BBQ Fiend in house can't resist making cookers. Most of them are probably decent. These companies often attract clientele within driving distance who benefit by avoiding shipping charges, which can be substantial for heavy metal. If you're in the neighborhood and feel like dropping by them, see for yourself. If not, I agree with jfmorris, go with a known and respected brand.
            Last edited by Max Good; May 18, 2020, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• scottranda
              scottranda commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I actually VISITED my metal fabricator. I talked with him AT his shop! And within my 30 minutes with him, I knew he knew exactly what I was talking about. He could TALK the TALK and WALK the WALK. Not sure I would have trusted him had I not got to visit him face to face.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here