Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selling BGE XL. Asking price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling BGE XL. Asking price?

I bought a BGE XL about a year or so ago from a friend who used it twice for steaks. I used it 3 times for hot and fast cooks before the screen tore. It's been in my garage since. Just replaced the screen with an aftermarket stainless steel one that has punched holes. I have a lot of cookers and just don't seem to need this anymore. What I really want is an Argentinian style grill or a Santa Maria set-up.
    The Egg is in excellent condition all the way around. The only thing I don't have is the plate setter which my friend couldn't locate when I bought it. It is on the stand and also has the shelves for each side that have never been attached. Also included is a never used pizza stone and elevated grate accessory.
    What do you think I should ask for it all? It's going to be a come pick up yourself type deal, I don't want to have any part in loading the beast
    I appreciate everyone's feedback.

-Fritz

BGEs are durable, but life time parts do go out. Two have gone out on my 11 year old large BGE. That being said I consider a warranty to be a valuable part of the original purchase price. You probably can get more than this but if add up the purchase price of all the parts of the XL and divide by two I think that would be a reasonable price for an egg without a warranty.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      So $1500?
      Last edited by Hulagn1971; April 23, 2020, 12:07 AM.

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      Hulagn1971 I could be mistaken, but $1,500 is more in line with new and a warranty. Are you looking to make a profit over what you paid or just break even? How fast do you want to move it or is it a I can wait until I get the price I want? The plate setter will probably set you back $125. I’seen them at Eggfests after 4 hours of use and full warranty with everything except the shelves for$1,100.
      Last edited by LA Pork Butt; April 23, 2020, 05:27 AM.

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      LA Pork Butt I was joking, lol.I think the XL model with shelves is around $2000 with warranty. I'd like to break even.

No other responses?

Comment

I bet $1000-$1200 is a decent price.

I took the screens off my BGEs a long time ago, not sure why they even have those.

Comment

A brand new XL BGE in the box is $1199. They usually package deal them with the stand. If memory serves me, that was $1499 last time I looked.

Last fall was the first time I'd seen Big Green Egg go on promotion. They'd always sold at list in the past and BGE protected their pricing integrity vigorously. Kamado Joe has taken so much of their market share along with all the other entrants into the kamado business that they are now in the boat of having to compete to keep from losing more market. To quote a knowledgeable friend of mine, "Once you let your pricing integrity go, you can never get it back. Much like virginity." So they effectively reset their price by their promotion a few months back.

So, without a warranty what would you be willing to pay for a brand new one? I have seen brand new Primo XL's, sold by a sponsored BBQ team, sell at about 65% of retail.

That said, I personally would not expect to get more than 60% for a gently used one. A knowledgeable buyer would also expect to get some accessories in a used deal. The absence of the plate setter could be an impediment for you.
        Last edited by Alphonse; April 23, 2020, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
          Hulagn1971 commented
          Editing a comment
          Alphonse I like that quote from your friend. It is so true. Just like a buddy of mine says, "You can drop your britches down a bit to keep them happy but once you take 'em down to your knees you can't get them back up again." This is in a business sense that is lol.

Interesting that I just searched and found this at Sam's. Out of stock at the moment but this does support the notion that they are now having to reduce their ask to compete with Big Joe and others.

Looks like their price has now been reset. I don't ever remember them being sold at Sam's or the like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	836330

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here