Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to Sell a Smoker and am Seeking Advice How to Price It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to Sell a Smoker and am Seeking Advice How to Price It

My really bad case of MCS has brought me to a point where I need to cull the herd a bit (with the goal of adding a new toy!). I have a Bradley electric smoker that I barely ever use any more. I got it 10-12 years ago and it really has served me well, especially in the early years. However, when MCS took hold it just got crowded out. Now, I think the time has come to get rid of it. It's in good condition (it's been kept under a cover and in the garage for its entire existence), is the 4-shelf model with the more sophisticated control box of the 2 that were available at the time.

I've never put anything on Craigslist nor have I bought anything on Craigslist. We rarely purchase anything used (we should though) and this is unfamiliar territory for me.

I have the unit itself, a cover (which is quite worn but still serviceable), the $25 cookbook, 108 hickory bisquettes. 48 mesquite bisquettes and 12 apple bisquettes. Each bisquette provides 20 minutes of smoke.

This unit new goes for $500 at Cabella's and a box of 120 bisquettes goes for $45 at Cabella's.

This is the big question: How much should I ask for all of this?

My suggestion is to do your homework and look around on Craigslist for similar units. If you don't see one in your area look into adjacent areas. You want to make it as attractive to a potential buyer as possible so be sure to clean it up real good and take lots of pictures showing it's condition. I can tell you from experience people are looking for a bargain on Craigslist, you are not going to get a great deal. I'd suggest $100 or slightly more. If you get little or no response, then lower it to the point you feel it's worth selling. Good luck. I've bought and sold on Craigslist for years and it's YMMV.

Comment

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      At $100 or less I would be more inclined to re-locate it somewhere or just keep it. I may put it out there to people who I know and see what I can get. Thanks for the feedback. Should I consider Ebay?

Since this is unfamiliar territory for you, some tips.

1. Put everything else out of sight and have the smoker ready to view. Some people answer ads just to case out your place.

2. Give them a time window. Don't say, "I'll be here all afternoon." Many people will say they are coming and never show up. This ties you down, so say something like, "I'll be here until 3:00." That way you can leave in the event you need to go somewhere.

3. Do not post your address and use the CL blind box for email.

4. My wife is heralding Facebook, apparently they have local classified groups. If you use Facebook look into that.

5. If any of this makes you nervous, check out consignment shops.

Comment

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Great tips. Thank you.

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      yes, I like the facebook groups better than Craigslist. I have been able to do a good bit there. but remember, not every inquiry is the sale. some people are, really, just looking

How bad do you want to get rid of it? When I bought another boat I had an 18 foot welcraft with a mercury "black max" 150 HP outboard full of gas and ready to splash that had to go. It was Friday on a three day weekend and I had two boats on the side of the house, so I had until Tuesday before code enforcement would maybe start to become a pest. I listed it for $3000, which was fair. I paid that much for it and used it for 2 years but that isn’t important. I also fixed a lot of stuff.

Anyway it was GONE Saturday afternoon. I accepted $2800 so the buyer felt like he pulled a fast one on me. Whatever. Maybe I could have held out for $3500 by listing it for $4k.....but I didn’t have time to Beal with tire kickers.

So for a 10 plus year old electric smoker that is $500 new, I would probably price it at $200 and see how many bites I get. Forget the wood disks and cover and stuff, you are selling an old electric smoker. If you want it gone and someone offers $150.....look at it as one tomahawk steak

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      $200 -250 for the whole deal was about what I was thinking as well.

I can get a brand new 4 rack on Amazon for$275.00 free shipping
    on ebay used 79.99 plus shipping on up to 185.00
    Last edited by customtrim; July 15, 2018, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah, I wouldn't pay more than half the cost of a new one for a used one, and at 10 years old, maybe less.

I guess I can be choosy. I don’t actually need to get rid of it. I was thinking $250 for everything especially given the cost of the wood which is needed to smoke in it. I might take $200 if it was going to a good home. Otherwise I’d prefer to just keep it or relocate it.

Comment

My experience selling ANYTHING grill/smoker related?
      I generally get 1/2 of what I think it should be worth.

Comment

If you don’t have to get rid of it, you can hold out for a best price. But look at it from the buyers point of view. Would you pay $250 for that smoker? Keep in mind that you have to think like you don’t know if it works properly or how it was taken care of.

I have an electric smoker too. It is currently under a cover and I really don’t "need" it. When I have a yard sale I might put it up for $50 and see what happens. In the meantime I could use it for smoking fish. It does well for that and my charcoal grill might not like going lower than 200. I could also use it as a cold smoker for things like cheese, using a pellet tube and no electricity.
        Last edited by SmokeyGator; July 16, 2018, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here