Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Large BGE with Grilling Center (Craig's List)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're gonna rock this thing.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Rob, so far, so good.

It looks fabulous great find my friend.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks DW!

OK, I’m waiting......... for the hat trick. Jeopardy theme song in background........

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Gonna be a late one Fireman!.

Good stuff. I’ve never used any other kamado than my BGE, so I wouldn’t have guessed such a difference! I suspect other ceramics are more comparable.

About an hour at 45* sounds right. When I do a brisket, I start by lighting the egg, getting the fire moving, putting it in medium idle, and THEN I take out the roast and trim, inject, apply rub, etc. By then, the gray smoke is gone and I’ll have the whispy white that is characteristic of kamados. The BGE will then maintain temperature long past the time the roast is done.

When using a DigiQ, it’s pretty neat. Every couple minutes or so, the fan whispers on for about 5 seconds. The bigger problem is the fire running away rather than dying out! That being said, on a daytime cook you won’t really have to get the apparatus out, once you get the dampers set it won’t vary by more than a couple degrees until it starts running out of fuel. The DigiQ is security for the overnights.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      What do you consider to be "Medium Idie"? I can't wait to get my Digi Q on this rig. I need to wait for the adapter. At what point do you hook up your fan system? Thanks for your help!

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Medium idle on mine is bottom and top about 3/4 of an inch. That gives a steady rise in temp from the time I shut the lid after lighting to about 250. If you put the fan in too early it takes forever for the gray smoke to clear. For my BGE in midsummer, 225 is top and bottom both just barely cracked, like 1/64”. Touching it a little bit moves 5*.

Wow, that’s looking good Spinaker !! Can’t wait until the Chuckie are done!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I think I am just starting to pull out of the stall. But maybe not, you know how it is.........

• kmhfive
      kmhfive commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m up all night! You’ve got a good thing going there Spinaker! Might change my mind on getting the WSCGC next year. Could be looking Ceramic instead!

It's just about breakfast time here. Cant wait for my share.

Comment

Hey, did the chuckles die? Did Spinaker succumb to smoke? Are we all being hosed here? Inquiring minds want to know.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, posting now.

The first cook on the BGE was a success. Yesterday, I cooked two chuck roasts. I started the cook at around one PM. It was a loooong cook. I finished up at about 3 am. I didn't wrap at all through out the cook, well I guess I did at about 195 F, just to push it over the hill. I let them sit in the oven for a few hours, got out of bed then pulled them and vac sealed for a later date.
      The little I did taste was very good. Excellent bark and a great smokey flavor. I used the smoke pot filled with pecan and a little bit of oak.
      I lit the BGE and allowed it to come up to temp, then I hollowed out a space in the middle of the fire, and placed the 1qt. Dutch Oven into the fire. Then I added some additional lump to the fire box. I really like using the smoke pot. I get some great, clean smoke while using it. As a bonus, you get nice little pieces of lump when you are finished. (I like to use it in the Hibachi.)
      Anyway, next up is using the Fireboard system to run the Egg. I am waiting on the adapter. As well as a KAB.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	BGE:Chuckies:On BGE.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	418772Click image for larger version

Name:	BGE:Pulled Beef:Bowl.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	418773Click image for larger version

Name:	BGE:Pull Beef:Vac Seal.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	418774

Oh yeah, and my Smokeware arrived. The Egg looks sharp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BGE:Smokeware Cap:New.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	418775

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Gotcha. I will try that next time.

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker, very nice cook! Once again, welcome to the BGE Family!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! Skip

A hat trick! That’s 3 scores for you who are on an island in the Pacific.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Fireman.

reminds me of the 1st chuckie I did. wife kept asking if it was done yet! I think it was 8 or 9 hours and the stall was forever. I was scared that it was going to turn out dry. now the wife lets me do the chuckies. seems like I'm doing all the cooking since I retired! they look great(chuckies) Spinaker plus the nice shinny top on the egg. so the 2 mile drive was worth the effort. lol

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes sir!!!!!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here