Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ Handles/Legs + Door Pivot Coupling for Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeffdavidson
    commented on 's reply
    dirtman - did you come up with a solution to raise your KBQ? I was thinking of getting something like this to accommodate the drop-down travel requirement for the door (to avoid damaging the hinges) https://www.webstaurantstore.com/24-...PFT2448HD.html

• BBQ_Bill
    commented on 's reply
    A sincere thank you guys for the kind words.

• BBQ_Bill
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks bro.
    I am beat to a "frazzle" though, splitting and stacking this wood in the 100°F heat here.
    The humidity is up at this time as well.
    If this wood did not "ROCK" in my KBQ's, I would not push so hard.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Very true. as an owner, I really appreciate it. These are great upgrades! Well said Henrik!

• Henrik
    replied
    I don't have a KBQ, but I just love this thread, so much passion! How very cool of you BBQ_Bill to manufacture and sell this add-on kit at what I think is a dirt cheap price. Talk about giving to the community. Awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Great looking stuff Bill!

• BBQ_Bill
    replied
    I am paying $150 to $160 per cord for Mesquite.
    Just picked up another cord+ (3 trailer loads) this morning with the "WANTED" ad on Craigslist.
    We have had some high winds move through, taking trees down.
    Some of these trees are fairly large as seen by my photos below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180714_084434.jpg
Views:	789
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	532354Click image for larger version

Name:	20180714_084425.jpg
Views:	750
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	532355

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    Originally posted by JakeT View Post
    Not very cheap here either, cheapest I can find is to get it in 1.7 cu. ft. Bags for $14/bag.

That comes out to roughly 265 for 1/4 cord.

If I just get white oak, almond, walnut, cherry, apple, which is plentiful around here, I’ll pay about half at $135 for a 1/4 cord.

Hickory is the most expensive though where I’m at. $340 for 1/4 cord.

When I tried white oak I wasn’t the biggest fan, so I’ll have to try the other cheaper local woods. Spinaker I’m trying the mesquite tomorrow!
    Oh yeah! I am surprised you were not a fan of White oak. I use that quite a bit and I love it. Everyone has their own tastes. Cherry wood is my favorite wood to use, I am getting to the end of my Cherry though, gonna have to find a new tree to take down! Best of luck with the mesquite. Let me know what you think.

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    I'm a "lid-on" guy too. Besides, "a man without a lid is just a kid"!

• JakeT
    replied
    Not very cheap here either, cheapest I can find is to get it in 1.7 cu. ft. Bags for $14/bag.

That comes out to roughly 265 for 1/4 cord.

If I just get white oak, almond, walnut, cherry, apple, which is plentiful around here, I’ll pay about half at $135 for a 1/4 cord.

Hickory is the most expensive though where I’m at. $340 for 1/4 cord.

When I tried white oak I wasn’t the biggest fan, so I’ll have to try the other cheaper local woods. Spinaker I’m trying the mesquite tomorrow!

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    I have yet to try Mesquite in my KBQ. Thought to get up in this part of the country, unless you wanna pay an arm and a leg!

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    It is a very handy add-on. I am very happy with mine! Glad I did it.

• BBQ_Bill
    replied
    To get more smoke on the meat, Bill Karau recommends the lid on.
    I now ALWAYS go with lid on JakeT.
    Bill and I just had this conversation, in which he confirmed (again) that with the lid on, more smoke moves through to the cooking chamber.
    -
    Some don't use the lid, but the way I see it, the inventor Mr. Karau designed and built the lid, and it came with the KBQ for a reason, right?
    -
    I firmly believe that the lid does at least two good things.
    1) It slows down wood consumption.
    2) It puts more smoke on the meat.
    -
    I like clean "blue" smoke as much as the next pit master, but I also want a bit of the somewhat less refined smoke on there too so I get a darker, more flavorful bark before the wrap.
    -
    My FIRM belief is that the correct smoke is a balance of clean and some not so clean that produces great bark and great flavor.
    One needs to be aware and focused so as to not have too much less refined smoke on the product.
    I want flavor, but do not want "Mr. Hyde" creosote coating my brisket. (Black sooty smoke)
    -
    As I have said before, Aaron Franklin uses all over-the-fire smoke because he does not have inverted flame smokers.
    He absolutely knows how to control his fire to get great smoke and his product speaks for itself.
    Aaron goes with post oak for several reasons, one of which is that it produces a mild smoke profile and using it makes it easy to get great traditional smoke flavor.
    When you serve 600 customers per day, meat needs to be smoked in moderation.
    Another is that even if his fire-tenders lose focus, the smoke is mild and very forgiving.
    Mesquite... not so much, but WE have KBQ's which tame the mighty Mesquite!
    Last edited by BBQ_Bill; November 20, 2018, 07:25 AM. Reason: Explain creosote differences a bit

Leave a comment:

• JakeT
    commented on 's reply
    To answer your question, yes, I bought it at Costco. I'm going to do a S&P rub, using all mesquite. Plan to go bottom poppet full open and about 1/4" on the top. Do you run with the fire cover on or off?

• BBQ_Bill
    commented on 's reply
    You are most welcome!
    Thank you for the Instant Payment!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here