Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC Ash Pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC Ash Pan

I just don't find this sucker useful. I've gone back to heavy duty aluminum foil at the bottom. Easy to grab and throw out. I have a buddy who likes the Ash Pan but does not need two of them. I'll be happy to give it away for free to whomever is willing to pay for the shipping. It is as clean as an ash pan can be and has about 6 uses.

Easily attach our durable stainless steel ash pan to your coal basket and wash your hands of ashes forever! Shop ash pan accessories for your drum smoker!

Cheers,
    Daniel

I like mine a lot. Why do you prefer foil?

Comment

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
      I like mine a lot. Why do you prefer foil?

Ditto!

Comment

I just sweep mine out. I had an ash pan but it gave all it could and then some and then croaked. The pit is on blocks.

Comment

David Parrish and MBMorgan, there are two main things I don't like about it. 1) When cooking chickens, the ash gets wet from some of the drippings. These drippings dry sticky, which means after a few cooks you wind of having to scrape the thing clean. The ash will no longer just dump off and in my experience the pan becomes a sticky mess especially the tabs where the feet "lock" in. For me it got to the point where I was concerned the mess would block air flow if it was not scraped clean.

2) The size is too small. It never fails that ash will "leak" off the sides leaving some ash residue along the very edges of the barrel. Again, after a few cooks I'm left cleaning these ashes out in order to avoid build up. This means sweeping like Jerod Broussard or grabbing the shop vac. All of this is a moot point with foil. No scraping, no leftover ash, no shop vac, just fold it inward on top of the ash, lift out and in the trash. Every cook starts and ends with the bottom of the barrel clean. I also like that cleanup is about 2.5 seconds when using foil.

Maybe I'm not using it correctly, would love to hear your feedback.

Daniel

Comment

When I made my ash pan I over-sized it in diameter and cut out slots for the tabs that hold the grate.

And I got a hankering to make another........
            Last edited by Jerod Broussard; April 4, 2016, 10:31 PM.

Comment

I have been using an old grill grate that I cover in foil. It works pretty good. After a couple of cooks the foil needs replacing. Put it is pretty easy to remove. I never have any build up of grease or moisture on my pit. Maybe I don't cook as much at one time.

Comment

I too am not very impressed with the ash pan. I have it. It's attached. But it does leave a lot to be desired. Agree it could have been larger. Maybe with a small lip on it. But then you would have to be more careful when removing it that it doesn't catch the grate pins.

Comment

Originally posted by dpsphotos View Post
                  I just don't find this sucker useful. I've gone back to heavy duty aluminum foil at the bottom. Easy to grab and throw out. I have a buddy who likes the Ash Pan but does not need two of them. I'll be happy to give it away for free to whomever is willing to pay for the shipping. It is as clean as an ash pan can be and has about 6 uses.

Easily attach our durable stainless steel ash pan to your coal basket and wash your hands of ashes forever! Shop ash pan accessories for your drum smoker!

Cheers,
                  Daniel

Do you still have this? I'd take it in a heartbeat if you do.

Comment

• dpsphotos
                    dpsphotos commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sure do. Shoot me a PM with a way to contact you and I'll drop it in the mail.

Originally posted by dpsphotos View Post
                  David Parrish and MBMorgan, there are two main things I don't like about it. 1) When cooking chickens, the ash gets wet from some of the drippings. These drippings dry sticky, which means after a few cooks you wind of having to scrape the thing clean. The ash will no longer just dump off and in my experience the pan becomes a sticky mess especially the tabs where the feet "lock" in. For me it got to the point where I was concerned the mess would block air flow if it was not scraped clean.

2) The size is too small. It never fails that ash will "leak" off the sides leaving some ash residue along the very edges of the barrel. Again, after a few cooks I'm left cleaning these ashes out in order to avoid build up. This means sweeping like Jerod Broussard or grabbing the shop vac. All of this is a moot point with foil. No scraping, no leftover ash, no shop vac, just fold it inward on top of the ash, lift out and in the trash. Every cook starts and ends with the bottom of the barrel clean. I also like that cleanup is about 2.5 seconds when using foil.

Maybe I'm not using it correctly, would love to hear your feedback.

Daniel
                  Daniel, dpsphotos , I have exactly the same experience. That PBC ash-catcher turned out to be more trouble than it's worth. I've gone back to using doubled heavy-duty aluminum foil for every cook. Easiest cleanup ever.

Kathryn

Comment

Fix for the PBC ash-catcher. Lid from galvanized can reversed upside-down attached a wire for the handle fixed Click image for larger version

Name:	20160406_135142.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	154424 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160406_135106.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	154425

Comment

• MBMorgan
                      MBMorgan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Looks awfully shiny. When you've had a chance to use it a few times, please let us know if/how airflow is affected.

• gcdmd
                      gcdmd commented
                      Editing a comment
                      GBA , what did you do with the can it came off of?

• David Parrish
                      David Parrish commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Galvanized metal IS NOT SAFE to use in a cooking device. Releases toxins when hot!

We strive to make customer service and satisfaction our number 1 priority here at Pit Barrel Cooker Co. We appreciate the feedback regarding the Attachable Ash Pan and will discuss changes with design. Please contact us anytime with questions or concerns.

Comment

• dpsphotos
                      dpsphotos commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Of course you guys offer great service, and I do love my PBC! Other accessories have been great and I appreciate your comment. I figured I would send it to another pit member who may like using it rather than do anything else with it. Keep up the great work and products!

Daniel

• Drbearsec
                      Drbearsec commented
                      Editing a comment
                      :-)

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here