Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Sale: Whole Hog Cutting Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Sale: Whole Hog Cutting Boards

As both a woodworker and a barbecuer, I made this for my own use, but I figure others on this site might want a board on which they can parade a whole hog as well as carve it up. The one pictured is made from a single plank of spalted maple, 2" thick, 18" wide, and 7' long. There's a sloped groove all around the perimeter of the cutting board to catch all the juices and direct them to the two drain holes. A local arborist saves the nicer butt logs of all the trees he cuts down and saws them up, so I have a wide range of species and sizes available to me. Next up, I'm working on an adjustable stand on which to set this pig board.

Thats COOL! I dont plan on doing a pig soon but maybe I need one of those on my wall!!!!

Comment

Somewhat rustic, totally practical.

Comment

That's some Great woodworking there. It reminds me of the boards that they would bring the pig out on at traditional Hawaiian Luaus.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Rick! Good to see you! hope all is well.

Thanks! Making it from a single plank, I wanted it to still look like it came from a tree. Rustic, but not rough or crude.

Comment

I want one. The size you show or even a little smaller...message or email me a quote when you are ready. These are awesome

Comment

Larbo, do you make smaller ones, countertop style? Big enough to do ribs or brisket, say 18"x24" ballpark?

Comment

• Papa Bob
              Papa Bob commented
              Editing a comment
              me to the grain looks so cool would be interested in the 18x 24 or so really a nice piece of wood

Im in for a small one as well.

Comment

Hey, that's great that there's interest in some smaller cutting boards! In order to make the long one with the handles, I have to cut a couple feet off the end of the plank, where the wood flares out at the root end of the log. This end has some really nice spalting and grain, so it would make some handsome boards. I'll finish some up, post some pictures, and let you know the cost. (For the smaller, countertop version, I'm assuming folks would still want what Jerod has dubbed the "juice groove" all the way around the edges, but without the drain holes. If anyone wants something custom, just let me know; it's not a problem.)

For the bigger pig boards with handles, the cost is roughly $100-$200 for the plank ($100 for the spalted Silver Maple pictured) and $300+ for the labor to fabricate them, depending on the degree of finishing you want. I haven't priced out the shipping yet, but for something that long and heavy, it's a safe bet that it will add at least another $100.

If you're interested in a longer pig board, you'll need something to set it on. It could be as simple as a pair of sawhorses, but for mine I made the adjustable stand pictured below, which allows you to set the height of your board anywhere between 29" and 44". Not only does this allow each person to set the cutting board at a comfortable height for carving, but it allows the board to be used for more than just cutting up a whole hog. Set it low for a bench or display space or high to use for a bar... A pair of these will go for about $500 more.

Comment

Some photos of the complete setup:

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here