Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC)- Volume 20, Winter 2020/2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is Kenji's stew recipe, with the following modifications: I dry-brined the chuck roasts, rubbed them with BBBR, and smoked them to 180 internal; I smoked the "sacrificial veggies" for about an hour.

I learned a couple of things. First of all, I now understand why I see so many pics of smoked chuck roasts. They are the bomb-diggity. The chuck roasts almost didn't make it to the stew. Thank you Clint Cantwell for the technique.

Secondly, Kenji is a genius. And I appreciate that he explains the rationale behind what he does. This is such a brightly-colored, clean, flavorful stew. It's not only the best I've ever made -- it's the best I've ever had anywhere.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2112.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	979899Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2113.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	979898Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2114.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	979897

Comment

• Charley Langer
      Charley Langer commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc Thank you. I actually cut it in half lengthwise to make two thick steaks, and gave the insides a quick browning in tallow. Then I cut it into fairly large cubes (most were about 2 inches). After that, I followed the recipe.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I love stew. Pre-smoking the meat is something I've been promoting for several years. It adds so much to the overall flavor profile of the stew itself. I really like your smoking the veggies as well. Bet that was a killer stew.

• Charley Langer
      Charley Langer commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Troutman. I like the way Kenji recommends using "sacrificial veggies" to flavor the stew, and then replacing them with fresher ones about an hour before the end of the cook. I smoked the "sacrificial veggies," but not the fresher ones. It was really good.

Today was some more pizza using last two dough balls from the batch... really tasty and I'm getting better with the Ooni. And, I started some bread yesterday and baked today...

Name:	20210124_190331.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	979901Click image for larger version

Name:	20210124_191953.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	979902Click image for larger version

Name:	20210124_192001.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	979903Click image for larger version

Name:	20210124_204355.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	979904

Comment

Wanted to experiment yesterday with some new "game snack" things I hadn't done before. Ended up trying Buffalo Ranch Smoked Cauliflower and Hey Grill, Hey's Hot Dog Burnt Ends. Both conveniently had a smoke time of 1 hour at the same temp, with the cauliflower needing a little prep ahead and the burnt ends needing some love after.

The cauliflower was first boiled for exactly 5 min in chicken broth, water, and a couple of dashes of Franks Red Hot Wing Sauce. Then it was dried, sprayed in olive oil, and got dusted with Frank's Red Hot seasoning. The hot dogs, which were Boar's Head all beef, got a mustard slather and were dusted in Meat Church The Gospel.

Name:	IMG_1634.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	980039

I decided to use the 26" kettle with a SNS full of water and KBB, and some hickory chunks on top.

Name:	IMG_1636.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	980044

The kettle held an incredibly stable temp between 235-240F without tweaking vents, and after an hour...

Name:	IMG_1638.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	980042

Took everything off, and prepped the hot dogs for Phase 2... vents wide open and cracked the lid on the kettle to reach temps 350F+...

Name:	IMG_1640.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	980040

While that was going, broke the cauliflower up into florets and drizzled them with Franks Red Hot Wing Sauce and ranch. This was just outstanding IMHO. It took on more smoke flavor than I expected which was nice, but it wasn't overly smokey. Even my veggie-averse 12 year old ate some after dumping more wing sauce on her's. Next time I might do something a little lighter like cherry or pecan. The texture was perfect too - tender but nowhere near mushy.

Name:	IMG_1642.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	980041

These guys went another 35 min and we were hungry after eating most of the cauliflower already so I pulled them. They were good (and inexpensive obviously, especially on sale!), it'd be fun to serve up as the kiddy option at a BBQ instead of just regular plain ol' dogs.

Name:	IMG_1646.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	980043

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Of everything I like the smoked cauliflower the best

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        hot dog burnt ends reminds me of the little smokey sausages my mom used to make in the crock pot for any entertaining event in the 90s.

they're still tasty.

• FishTalesNC
        FishTalesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly BFlynn my wife used to buy these things called "L'il Smokies" and either wrap them in bacon and sprinkle with brown sugar, or just dump in a crock pot. Only got them once a year, usually for a Super Bowl party. These were similar, but a little better. I just had to try the recipe...

Click image for larger version  Name:	F09A63E5-79F7-49E2-B594-DCEE63B9CD24.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.40 MB ID:	980053Click image for larger version  Name:	457F54AF-DC29-4B28-A25F-F94709EC54B9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.73 MB ID:	980052

13 lb Turkey on the PBC yesterday with a two parts PBC AP and one part S&G rub under and over the skin. Hickory for smoke. 2.5 hours with one rebar removed.

Last edited by HawkerXP; January 25, 2021, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes Panhead John boosts temp from 270s to mid 300s.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful sear on that bird by the way!

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Bravo !!!

Last night's Brunswick stew. Used smoked chicken thighs and smoked pork shoulder for the meats. Will post recipe in recipe section.

Name:	0124211941.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	980129Click image for larger version

Name:	0124211812.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	980130

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Every time I hear Brunswick stew I think it's a Canadian dish when in fact it hails from Georgia. Can't wrap my mind around that. Anyway, good work Fritz !!!

spent an "excessive" amount of time just to make nachos, but I think it was worth it

Brisket flat went on between 8 and 9pm on Friday, along with a pan full of a few weeks of frozen fat trimmings to render. S&P with just a tiny bit of garlic and paprika on the brisket and injected with beef broth that had a bay leaf sit in it for a few hours (why the bay leaf? I have no clue, I just did it that way... not sure it did anything or not).

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0914.JPG Views:	0 Size:	4.20 MB ID:	980209

At around 3pm Saturday the Brisket was at 190ish, the MAK surprisingly didn't burn through that many pellets even though it was below freezing for about 50% of the cook. At this point the thinner portion of the flat was probing pretty close to done so I took it off, triple wrapped in foil and chucked it in the oven until 201 in the thicker part. That was roughly another 2 hours, then rested for an hour.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0916.JPG Views:	0 Size:	4.63 MB ID:	980211

Because it was so late, when I was slicing it was a little too warm still and wanting to fall apart on some spots. Got about 60% yield on good slices, which was fine, that part was for work. The smaller part was gonna be for tacos and nachos at home.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0926.JPG Views:	0 Size:	4.60 MB ID:	980212

Fast forward to today, and I'm fat n happy

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0937.JPG Views:	0 Size:	4.20 MB ID:	980210

Also, after rendering and filtering a few times I have a little over a cup of lovely beef love.

Comment

• jhoskins
        jhoskins commented
        Editing a comment
        Excessive? I think "perfect" was the term you're looking for

• Hulagn1971
        Hulagn1971 commented
        Editing a comment
        OVER the TOP!!!

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Commitment to excellence!

Finally a warm and beautiful day after a long slog of very cold (for us) weather. Decided to cook some burgers on the fire pit. Cashew helped me get things going and then my wife made it home from work for a nice romantic sunset dinner.

Name:	2021-01-25 17.12.29.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	980225

Name:	2021-01-25 18.11.12.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	980224

Name:	2021-01-25 18.44.07 (2).jpg
Views:	263
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	980226

I'm still learning fire management in this cooker, but I swear I get a much hotter fire with Publix Greenwise lump than I do with Cowboy.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Yum!

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Very cool.

• Charley Langer
        Charley Langer commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah!! 😋

Inspired by a need to clean out my pantry and yet another Kenji recipe, Spam and kimchi fried rice
      Attached Files

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes!! Love Kimchi fried rice I will eat rice for that.

Korean-style wings. I used Kenji's sauce recipe, but a different one for the wings themselves. The plan was to make these yesterday for Championship Sunday. I defrosted them, cut them up and salted them. But the nachos turned out to be more than enough food, so I left them, uncovered, in the fridge overnight and made them for dinner tonight. They were delicious. Very crispy. I added some extra gochugaru flakes to the sauce to spice them up a bit more. Barbara said they were the best Korean wings I've ever made, although she prefers Buffalo style.

Name:	PXL_20210126_010921706-01.jpeg
Views:	281
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	980282

Comment

Tortellini and Gulf Shrimp Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210125_191757.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	980291Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210125_190941.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	980290

Comment

• treesmacker
          treesmacker commented
          Editing a comment
          Those shrimp look so plump and juicy... any special technique used on them?

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          treesmacker - nothing special. Just good jumbo Gulf shrimp. These were 16/20s.
          There is a chance I've been brain washed, but I really think Gulf shrimp taste better than shrimp from other places.

Pat of butter in the skillet. Add the shrimp. A little salt and POG.
          Squeeze of lemon, when they're done.

I tend to keep shrimp simple.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great. And yes, hard to beat fresh Gulf shrimp, my favorite.

OK, it's tommrows bake. I will post pictures. I like to prep the night before. This is all the dry ingredients. Have three that need to be fridged. Milk, egg and the mystery ingredient. If I told you then I would be letting the cat out of the bag. No, it is not a cat pie Panhead John

Name:	20210125_205156.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	980304
        Last edited by RichieB; January 25, 2021, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• Charley Langer
          Charley Langer commented
          Editing a comment
          That is what I do the night before. If there is any other food prep (trimming, chopping, etc.), I do that also. I pre-measure everything and put it in ramekins. I enjoy the anticipation and find the process relaxing.

Pork chops, jasmine with wild rice, and crispy fried shiitake mushrooms.

Name:	Resizer_16116277084130.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	980316

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          That pork chop looks righteous. How'd you do them?

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Dewesq55 I seared them in a cast iron pan over medium high and let them finish in the oven.

Hamburger Salad.

Grass fed Beef, Dublinger (grass fed Irish Chedder) shroom/onion, bacon, lettuce, garlic aioli, Grey Poupon, Ezekiel bread. This was a Dandy.

Name:	F51EFFC4-FBFC-4D05-9153-6B66489AF870.jpeg
Views:	249
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	980322

Name:	338B0D2D-EA66-43C6-B204-800B482DE9AA.jpeg
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	980320

Name:	C9CA6895-7B67-42A8-94B7-82A58AF1077C.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	980319

Name:	6D2C0E80-D8B8-4206-B6A1-0A83EDBE2314.jpeg
Views:	240
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	980321

Comment

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a Grassfedger alright. It's a rare and not often seen offshoot of the now famous Homeyburger.

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          If I were to somehow end up on death row, THIS would be my last meal.

Chicken and Broccoli with Brown Sauce served over Jasmine Rice

really enjoyed this dish, liked the brown sauce, as I have never made this before. The recipe from Woks of Life didn’t call for peanuts but I like the textural balance it brings, so add some when served.

Name:	964928DC-16BF-44A9-AD11-F9319CC80967.jpeg
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	980339

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks good. I've made their beef and broccoli. Been planning to try the chicken.

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Dewesq55 it was good! the other thing I did, leave out the ginger. When I made Kung Pao Chicken last week, my wife thought I had a bit of a heavy hand with the ginger, even though I don’t think I was off much. So, tonight, I left it out. Wanted to see how it was without.

But, Beef and broccoli is wonderful! I think that has been my favorite thus far.

Cast iron roasted chicken legs with twice baked potatoes.

Name:	20210125_190031.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	980348

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Love that stuff man. Awesome.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here