Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC)- Volume 20, Winter 2020/2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooked up some vortex chicken thighs. These were so good! Skin crispy like potato chips!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	88D66A42-BEF7-4EDB-99A9-EFF6210CE921.jpeg
Views:	306
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	977420Click image for larger version

Name:	1F0489FF-8D2B-43E4-B9C8-3CA0FA50823E.jpeg
Views:	323
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	977421

Comment

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Andrrr I just mixed up some dried herbs and spices. No dry brine, no pat dry, no oil. I mixed up some salt, pepper, garlic powder, a touch of cumin, onion powder, parsley, oregano, thyme, rosemary, and a whole bunch of sweet heat pepper flakes from Flat Iron. The vortex does such a good job with chicken that no tricks are needed for crispy skin.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Those look great. I might have to do some thighs that way.

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great! Our favorite way to cook thighs.

Here's a quick and fun meal, take some Gulf shrimp, your favorite sausage and some pineapple and skewer them. Throw them on the old gasser and whalaaa....you're eaten good in half the time. Great mid-week meal.

Name:	shrimp 02.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	977511Click image for larger version

Name:	shrimp 05.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	977512Click image for larger version

Name:	shrimp 04.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	977513

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Taters look pretty good too!

Sichuan-style alkaline noodles. My first ever attempt at any kind of homemade noodles. I used a stand mixer and then a hand-cranked pasta machine. Three first half of the batch I made the mistaken of cutting the sheet in half before it into noodles. They are actually much nicer left whole (about 24 inches.) Tonight I will make something with them, probably cold sesame noodles.
    ​​​​​​

Name:	PXL_20210121_221428618-01.jpeg
Views:	277
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	977763

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      So love this!

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I should have mentioned that making these involved baking some baking soda in the oven to convert it from sodium bicarbonate into sodium carbonate for making the "lye water" alkalizing solution needed for the noodles.

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Dewesq55 For our hot tub maintenance, there is both sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), which buffers, and sodium carbonate (soda ash, very alkaline) which is often labeled as 'pH increaser'. Could this be used and save a step?

Reverse seared ribeye & collard greens for supper tonight. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice about the ribeye in that that other thread, it turned out great!
    Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      That Does look Great; Nicely done, Amigo!

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Wall to wall pink, if that ain't a perfectly cooked steak I don't know what is!

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      great lookin' steak!
      You did the cow proud

Name:	66EEAE46-29B9-4E63-90EF-C1B7D5B55D05.jpeg
Views:	287
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	977807Click image for larger version

Name:	46D83B39-3D31-4B1F-BD1A-B6E390E1F48C.jpeg
Views:	277
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	977808 It was a tad bit warmer today here in the Milwaukee, WI area today. A high of 40! Whoo Hoo! 🙄

Anyway, I ran out and picked up some chicken thighs and fired up the mini gasser. Nothing special but tasty none the less. Photos suck as usual though. Only got the launch and leftovers.

Special shout out to Sweaty Paul as I used the Ernestines bbq sauce he gifted me for the Secret Santa thing. It was awesome.

Comment

Since SheilaAnn put up her Sheila-quiles recently, I haven't been able to stop thinking about making something akin to chilaquiles. So today was the day.

I baked some corn tortillas until they were fairly dry and crispy, then tore them into pieces.

Name:	2021-01-21 18.14.37.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	977835

Had some chicken I had thawed previously and then got left behind when our plans changed. I stewed it up with some chipotles, onion, corn and a tomato in some chicken broth.

Name:	2021-01-21 18.14.52.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	977836

Stirred in some beaten eggs and cooked until the eggs were done, then layered on the tortillas and topped with shredded cheese (no cojita on hand, sadly). Baked a while and broiled to brown the cheese.

Name:	2021-01-21 18.39.08.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	977837

Came out a bit more casserole-like than intended, but was pretty good eating topped with sour cream and salsa. My wife did comment she expected the tortillas to be a bit crisper. Oh well.

Name:	2021-01-21 18.43.41 (2).jpg
Views:	263
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	977838

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Jim White looks bomb-diggity!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks an Sounds like one Hailluva Great Meal, Jim!

Thanks fer sharin yer receipt an technique!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; January 21, 2021, 09:53 PM.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Bomb-diggity !!?? Lol. Gotta agree, that casserole looks like the bomb alright! I diggity it !!!

Chinese-American take-out style Cold Sesame Noodles made with the alkaline noodles I made earlier in the day. A vegan dinner. How 'bout that!?

Name:	PXL_20210122_005502717.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	977859

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Quite the exotic dinner, Dewesq55 . I'm envious. Not sure I'd tackle noodle making. It sure sounds delicious.

Kathryn

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc - If you have a stand mixer and a pasta machine, it's really pretty easy. Fortunately, I have both. The pasta machine, however, is Barbara's from before we were together. We've been together for 16 years and neither of us has used it in that time. I had never used one before. I watched a couple of YouTube videos and I was good to go. I wanted to make alkaline noodles, but Chinese egg noodles can be used pretty much interchangeably and have no exotic ingredients.
        Last edited by Dewesq55; January 24, 2021, 11:07 AM.

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Very impressive! Now, with just a little bit of lamb..........

Another raid the freezer dinner. Had a few sous vide turkey wings leftover from Thanksgiving. Cooked them quasi-confit around thanksgiving and never got around to serving/using them so chucked them in the freezer. So I took the meat off the bone and made a turkey pot pie with the meat and some puff pastry I had in the freezer. Was excellent for this cold night.

Name:	ECAAA26A-0A0F-4011-8A7F-7E200E487191.jpeg
Views:	306
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	977865

Name:	9A7712AC-5739-474C-A2E0-0DDA9445E127.jpeg
Views:	257
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	977866

Comment

• jhoskins
        jhoskins commented
        Editing a comment
        Yum. Looks great!

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I love pot pies. I gotta do some soon. I’m drooling writing this, good work !!!

One of th Ultimate Comfort Foods of alla Time, th Pot Pie! shify

Yers looks great, might be tryin this weekend; has me a plenitude of bscb's that need to make some freezer space, lol...

Comment

Made Chris Bianco’s pizza dough with pepperoni and mozzarella. I also made a Frankenstein for my wife who unfortunately is allergic to milk. White BBQ sauce chicken pizza with pickled red onions, pine nuts, herbs de Provence, and fresh ground smokey Flatiron smokey blend pepper flakes. The chicken and sauce were leftover from Malcolm Reeds chicken sliders where I used Amazingribs bob gibson sauce recipe for the sauce.
        Attached Files

Comment

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Oven or cooker?

• jhapka
          jhapka commented
          Editing a comment
          SheilaAnn oven. My gas oven goes up to 550 and I finally got a pizza peel for Christmas. This summer when it’s not -10 F outside my kamado will be spitting out some pizzas for sure.

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          jhapka 550*..... jealous. I go to 500*. I keep a stone on the floor of the oven and a stone for cooking on. I am thinking to try the stone insert for my new 22” Weber.

SLUUUUUURP!!!!

Name:	PXL_20210121_233238381.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	977976

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I need some crusty bread to sop all that up with!!

Smoked up a pork loin tonight. It was $15 at Costco but they had $4 off when I bought it so $11 for about an 8 pound loin. Hard to get much cheaper for a great meal. Rubbed with Sasquatch BBQ Erubtion rub and then glazed at the end with some homemade bbq sauce.

Name:	pork-loin.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	977980

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks REALLY good!!

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Glorious lookin loin, Amigo!

Cryin shame ya were only able to make two servins, but Beautifully Done!!!

• RickyBobby
          RickyBobby commented
          Editing a comment
          Beauty!

Pork Belly Burnt Ends..... so wonderfully sticky !!!
        Attached Files

Comment

• RickyBobby
          RickyBobby commented
          Editing a comment
          Those. Look. Amazing! Well played!

Bacon and egg bánh mi.

Name:	20210120_121643.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	978155

Comment

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks awesome, I have yet to duplicate the texture in this style baguette.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          SheilaAnn she has been using a Paul Hollywood recipe. They got better after I bought her a baguette pan.

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh my!

I'm terrible at getting in here on my phone (where all my pictures are) so I sent a couple to my email so I can use my PC. Here is just a slow cooker pot roast I put together on a lunch break for dinner. Husband said it was best roast he's had. Nothing special done to it, but it was tasty.

The next thing I had made was smash burgers on the flattop using an 80/20 mix of beef and bacon we got from our local butcher. They were awesome! We have started really liking the burgers on bread rather than buns.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          That pot roast is on point. I'm such a meat and potatoes guy that I could lick the screen in appreciation !!!

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Fantastic lookin food!

I would do a Triple Lindy offa th High Dive into that first pic, Sister!

Definitely how we rolls, round these here parts...

An I'd want one~two dem burgers to dip in that plate, an my sides o extry gravy...

I gots me some questions, I'll hit ya up later, a'ight?

Spectacular nanner puddin, below, as wail...

• SmokingPat
          SmokingPat commented
          Editing a comment
          Love the pot roast! I just came back from the store where I bought a marked-down chuck roast. It's finally turning cold (and maybe wet) in southern California, so I need to dust off the crock pot.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here