Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC)- Volume 20, Winter 2020/2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SV strip steaks and finished with a CI sear. Rubbed these with the garlic jalapeño rub to try something different and they were wonderful! I usually will add a bit of sugar to help with some sweetness to my steaks and this rub had that. Balanced out nicely with the garlic and salt. And finished it off with a pad of butter in the skillet. Served with loaded green chile baked potato and green beans.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A7AD2DD6-A71D-4396-8ED8-AEA05AEF9AA9.jpeg
Views:	284
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	976948

Name:	49EAFD70-11D1-4B1D-9756-863D93C50849.jpeg
Views:	314
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	976947

Comment

Leftover pulled chuckie tacos, crisped up in a skillet 😋.

Name:	E0066890-0808-4403-BD71-DF4A6D80B7A8.jpeg
Views:	293
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	976967Click image for larger version

Name:	9B2E020C-78A7-446C-92C5-EC30D8E29883.jpeg
Views:	290
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	976968

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Taco Tuesday on Tuesday!!!!!!

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Chuckie "carnitas"! Yum!

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        TACOS !!!

Was planning to cook this on my new (to me) Weber 26", but had some meetings run late and didn't have time to figure out how to dial in temps on a new grill. So onto the GMG it went. Two boneless turkey breast halves plus two big drumsticks. Brined for about 5 hours in water, salt, and a few tablespoons of Dizzy Pig Wonder Bird, rinsed, dried, a bit more Wonder Bird rubbed on the drums.

Setup

Name:	tky1.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	977029

Rotate the pieces to help cook evenly (the cooker has some spots hotter than others)

Name:	tky2.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	977031

One breast piece still on the grill, but these are ready to go.

Name:	tky3.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	977033

And now, we feast!

Name:	tkys.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	977028

Name:	tkyj.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	977032

Name:	tkym.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	977030

Comment

• Rocinante
        Rocinante commented
        Editing a comment
        I bought some lousy prepackaged/seasoned drumsticks about a week ago. This is making me want to try it the right way. Those look great and my kids would love them too!

• jumbo7676
        jumbo7676 commented
        Editing a comment
        Rocinante I bought two big whole turkeys (packaged with no added solution) the day after Thanksgiving when they were heavily marked down. Parted them out and threw them in the freezer. Still have two more drums, one breast half, all 4 thighs, and all 4 wings that are waiting their turn.

Gave my kids each two bites. They're still too young for these so they got smoked turkey breast quesadillas.

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        I've never done turkey on my GMG. Always the Weber Kettle. But that looks good!

Beef back ribs from the other day, smoked with sassafras wood. Roughly 5hrs @250 + held wrapped for another 2.

Name:	IMAG6308.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	977106Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6309.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	977104Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6319.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	977105Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6316~2.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	977103

Comment

• Rocinante
        Rocinante commented
        Editing a comment
        I remember in my much younger days going out into the woods with my dad and brother and we dug up a bunch of Sassafras roots and my mom would make tea and also cook with them. Unfortunately, I have no recollection of what she used them for during her cooking...

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        I see someone peeping over the countertop. Lookin for a little sample I think...

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Great cook, nice board!

Made some fried rice last night. Just chix and veggies, but finished with crumbled crispy bacon for the win...

Name:	20210119_174214[1].jpg
Views:	248
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	977224
      Last edited by RonB; January 20, 2021, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Today's lunch: a burrito made with smoked pork shoulder, Lexington coleslaw, and cilantro. (Why cilantro? I like it!)
        Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks good, and I like cilantro too.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I am a huge fan of Cilantro.

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          With you on the cilantro, I like it. You either seem to love it or it tastes like soap, it seems.

The wife said earlier today she wanted some white veggie pizza for dinner. So, I made some impromptu do later in the morning and let it ferment on the counter until before dinner time. The dough had about 70% hydration, so it was a little sticky, but I wanted at least some air pockets in it, even on such short notice.

Name:	Pizza120.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	977308
        For an afternoon ferment, it turned out quite well. She's a big cheese fan, so underneath all of that are onions, orange peppers and broccoli.

Name:	pizza120B.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	977309

I used my new pizza steel at 500 for 6 minutes then broil for three. Overall, it turned out quite well, plus I have extra dough in the fridge sitting for a couple of days

Comment

Garlic and lemon pork; quinoa and sweet potato salad on the side.

Name:	IMG_20210120_185837.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	977326

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
            Michael_in_TX commented
            Editing a comment
            Garlic and lemon pork.....that really sounds tasty!

A taco supreme and a pepperoni pizza.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9940880F-7A20-4A17-95C2-8AB078157417.jpeg Views:	21 Size:	2.25 MB ID:	977331

Name:	90F2BECD-FA40-4F86-8134-2B677159F918.jpeg
Views:	196
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	977453

Click image for larger version  Name:	A04F01F3-0350-4C32-94CE-4D2CEAD4A769.jpeg Views:	20 Size:	4.87 MB ID:	977332
          Last edited by Richard Chrz; January 21, 2021, 12:04 AM.

Comment

• WVsmoke
            WVsmoke commented
            Editing a comment
            That pizza crust looks fantastic. Care to share the recipe?

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            I have spoken a bit about this crust. The interesting parts of this crust, mostly ice cold water, 72 hour ferment, diastatic malt powder, and dual pizza steels. As far as exact recipe, I can’t share the authors recipe, he has likely worked years, as he is a 13 time world pizza champion. But, his book The Pizza Bible is worth the purchase for the crust. Look around for Toni Gemignani, he may have it out there for free.
            Last edited by Richard Chrz; January 21, 2021, 06:47 PM.

• WVsmoke
            WVsmoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for the info. I will take your suggestion.

I give you fake fast faux carnitas: leftover shredded pork fried in avocado oil (this makes it healthy) in a little lime juice in a cast iron skillet. Yum.

Name:	IMG-4455.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	977335

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Healthy is good!

Bison burgers smashed between two cast iron pans. It gives me the most consistent patty. Add fried eggs for my kids and onions/mushrooms for me and my wife with pretzel buns. No grill pics. It was past sun down.

Click image for larger version  Name:	814ED877-5608-4F04-B223-A23FED0E263B.jpeg Views:	33 Size:	2.80 MB ID:	977364
          Click image for larger version  Name:	6C912DD1-546C-43A8-95D2-833F1E8F9A69.jpeg Views:	34 Size:	3.64 MB ID:	977366
          Click image for larger version  Name:	28641D04-DD5D-4BAB-AEC7-CD6F2D909BA3.jpeg Views:	34 Size:	3.15 MB ID:	977365
          Last edited by snowswamp; January 21, 2021, 12:56 AM.

Comment

• JCGrill
            JCGrill commented
            Editing a comment
            Pretzel buns are so good. And a burger with a runny egg. 🍔🍳👌

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Bison is great!

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Bison is So Great, an so often overlooked... I eat a lot of that; course, we grows em here, like summa CO Territory...

Please, tell me more bout yer burger press sysem; hard to scale from pics, but th patties look Ginormous...

2 No.6? 8? 10? skillets? final patty diameter? Approx weight of meat ya smushed bwtwixt th wax papers?

I gots me Plenty of alla dat to replicate, would jus appreciate a Startin Place, from ya, if / when ya have th time...

Many Thanks, in advance, Bro

I couldn’t sort out what I wanted to do with the Chorizo I picked up at my local supermercado... so I figured I would try a Chorizo Smashburger. I was NOT disappointed.

Triple stacked chorizo patties with pepper jack cheese, some carnitas style peppers, diced onion, salsa, cilantro, and lime juice... with a Corona of course! I have taken some more time on the presentation but I was hungry. OopsClick image for larger version

Name:	09F42167-9B9E-41F8-BA5F-CAB1E68319D4.jpeg
Views:	241
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	977368Click image for larger version

Name:	032D5812-8C86-41F3-A93D-8CCD46EDEEA9.jpeg
Views:	225
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	977369

Comment

• MTurney
            MTurney commented
            Editing a comment
            What a great idea! That looks amazing!

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Didja do yer patties straight-up chorizo, or blended with any grd beef / pork sausage / yardbird?

I eat a lot of chorizo , probly specially fer a nearly 60 yr old hillbilly from Muhzurrah. an I'd fer one be interested in more details, if'n yer willin to share some...

• jhoskins
            jhoskins commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr. Bones I didn't have anything other than Chorizo on hand. It would have been good with a 50/50 ground chuck mix... but honestly, the chorizo only smashburger was good because it was basically a Torta... I rolled 2 oz patties, put them in the pan hot and fast, smashed them down, then flipped and hit them with cheese.

I'll do some more experimenting, but this was a "whatever you've got in the fridge" activity.

wok this way!!! Wednesday Wok day turned up some Kung Pao Chicken. I don’t know if I have made this dish before, but really enjoyed it. Pulled this recipe from SeriousEats.com and liked it - simple and very flavorful!

Also employed a few tricks I’ve picked up here on the wok, mainly wiping after batches. Wok cooked great!

Name:	14B14B32-F2D4-4D50-B68F-F7D2E495DA9B.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	977383

Name:	2B7CDD4D-5589-4380-8F94-96EFFB9725C1.jpeg
Views:	237
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	977382

Comment

• JCGrill
            JCGrill commented
            Editing a comment
            Love me some Kung pao

• Jim White
            Jim White commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a great recipe. I've tried it a couple of times.

Looks really good in your wok.

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks great! On my must cook list.

Troutman’s Texas Red

I had a 2.8 lb Tri Tip thawed that I had to use up. I didn’t have any Italian sausage so I used chorizo instead. Left out the chipotle chiles because SWMBO doesn’t do hot and I can add some to mine later. Used roasted Hatch chiles in their place. Also used San Marzano tomatoes because that’s what I had. Simmer for 5+ hours. I must resist adding beans!!

Name:	Texas Red Chili (2) 1-21.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	977388

A little Mexican cheese and onions. Thank you Steve!!

Name:	Texas Red Chili 1-21.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	977389

Comment

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            You have that right!!

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Yummo !!!

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            Another one on my must cook list.

Meatloaf tonight. It's a simple dish, but I always enjoy it.

Name:	20210120_185705.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	977394

Name:	20210120_190213.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	977395

Comment

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            Love me some meat loaf. I have a Cajun recipe I use.

• Andrrr
            Andrrr commented
            Editing a comment
            It has been far too long since I’ve made a loaf and coincidentally it’s the correct season for it. Looks great.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here