Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC)- Volume 20, Winter 2020/2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled Porter Road lamb t-bones. Served with roasted potatoes and salad (not shown).
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210119_020632194.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	976409

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice! What technique did you use to roast the salad.

Duck!!!!

Name:	PXL_20210119_042426741.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	976432

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Fabulous Ernest!!

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Duck!

• troymeister
      troymeister commented
      Editing a comment
      Those peas look awesome!!....Oh...The Duck...Does too!!

Well, here's the end result of my rub vs no rub cook. As you can see it's easy to spot the difference. Smoked beef ribs on the PK grill. It held temps rock solid. I used cherry wood for smoke flavor.

Name:	AE7DCBA3-782C-411E-B1E8-7BEE23F878AF.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	976479

Left half: With rub (Hank's Signature Steak Rub)
    Right half: nothing.

I did dry brine the meat the night before.

As you can see the no rub half looks leathery and tough. It's easy to see that the rub looks way tastier. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the no rub half though. It looked kinda bad, but tasted great.

It was a fun experiment, and I knew beforehand that the rubbed meat was gonna be better, but enjoyed tasting just the raw beef with smoke flavor.

Comment

• MTurney
      MTurney commented
      Editing a comment
      Very cool experiment! What was the outside texture on the non rubbed side?

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      It looked all leathery, but wasn't. Felt like that superthin skin on some hot dogs, so not bad at all. I prefer that bark with the rub any day of the week though, looks a lot more appetizing.

Got the Billows by Thermoworks as a Christmas gift and have enjoyed a couple cooks using it. First up, did some tri-tip last week. I had previously split them with the intention of only making half at a time but decided to cook them both. Used the big bad beef rub on one half and some simple rosemary/thyme on the other and both were delicious! About an hour and half at 225 + rest.

Leftovers made one heck of a Philly cheesesteak - no picture of that unfortunately.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by USFBullsFan2819; January 19, 2021, 11:24 AM. Reason: added cook time/temp

Comment

Got the Billows by Thermoworks as a Christmas gift and have enjoyed a couple cooks using it. Next up were baby back ribs. When the wife says "you should make some bbq" you don't argue! About 4 hours (2 on, 1 wrapped, 1 unwrapped) at 225. Billows held nicely pretty much the entire time other than when I left the lid open for too long - but it quickly recovered!

Pic 1: First on, Pic 2 halfway through, Pic 3 right before saucing, Pic 4 plated!

Attached Files

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Grreat looking ribs!

I did pulled pork last night on the PBC. Dry-brined it overnight with Killer Hogs' Hot Rub (my favorite for pulled pork) and got it on at 10 am. I had a problem with my Thermoworks Smoke so I inadvertently left the lid off longer than I should while getting the roast in place. Temps shot up to 350, but nothing plugging two of the holes in the PBC couldn't fix.

After five hours, the temps started to drop (with the foil plugs now removed). I pulled the butt off at about six hours in when the temps in the PBC went below 225. As it had hit the stall at 167, I decided to wrap it and just finish it in the oven. I took it out two hours later at 205 and probe tender all over. One hour rest in a cooler.

(In the PBC it is very important for long cooks to make sure you distribute your initially-lit coals as evenly as possible. I discovered that perhaps as much as a quarter of my coals had not lit yet!)

The pork turned out wonderfully, almost buttery. This is my fifth one of these I've done, and I think I have my technique down now. I think I am ready to try one of those heritage pork butts to see if it really makes that much difference for the cost in the taste.

Name:	IMG-4452.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	976645

Name:	IMG-4451.JPG
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	976643

Name:	IMG-4453.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	976644

Name:	IMG-4454.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	976642

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Finishing off the last of those Christmas paper plates? 😄
        Looks good Michael!

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep! I don't know why, but pulled pork sandwiches just say paper plates to me.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Gotta love Killer Hogs.

Got a chance to go down to the coast last week and bagged 15# of gulf shrimp for the freezer. Took about two pounds and did a simply arrangement in a cast iron skillet. Put it into my 26" kettle at 350* with some apple wood chunks and lightly smoked it. Only took about 20 minutes and they were done. Some of the best damn shrimp I've eaten in a long time and super easy to make.

Smoked Pan Shrimp

2 pounds large 13/15 shrimp, head off
      3 tablespoons olive oil
      Juice from half a lemon
      Couple lemon wedges for garnish
      2 tablespoons dry white wine
      4 tablespoons real butter
      Seasoning of choice (I used Tony C's, Killer Hogs, dry dill weed)

1. Peel and devein your shrimp. Leave the tail section on.
      2. Take one tablespoon of oil and coat the bottom of a CI pan. Lay the shrimp out in a circular pattern closely touching one another, helps to keeps them from drying out.
      3. Spread the remaining olive oil, wine and lemon juice over the top of the shrimp arrangement.
      4. Season the shrimp to your liking.
      5. Heat your grill to 350*, add a chunk or two of fruit wood and bake for about 10 minutes.
      6. After the initial 10 minutes add pats of butter evenly dispersed around the pan. Allow to bake for another 10 minutes.
      7. Shrimp are done when they turn opaque and a light pink color. Do not over cook.
      8. Serve with lemon wedges and enjoy as an appetizer or even a main course with sides.

ENJOY !!

Name:	shrimp 01.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	976766Click image for larger version

Name:	shrimp 02.jpg
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	976767

Comment

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks tasty. Have to try that soon

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        What a beautiful way to serve shrimp, I bet that was delicious!

• tamidw
        tamidw commented
        Editing a comment
        Those shrimp look delicious!

Broccoli Soup with Crispy Shallots...Recipe from Bon Appetit Mag. This soup is totally Excellent.

Awesome Lamb Chops from my place of employment. Kettle Baked Sweet Potatoes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5424.JPG Views:	25 Size:	2.11 MB ID:	976823Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5426.JPG Views:	28 Size:	3.56 MB ID:	976824Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5436.JPG Views:	26 Size:	2.31 MB ID:	976822Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5444.JPG Views:	27 Size:	2.01 MB ID:	976821
      Last edited by troymeister; January 19, 2021, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Lamb chops look on point !!

Salmon tonight.

Name:	545C702F-DE4B-4FDD-B216-4A58D000AD11.jpeg
Views:	319
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	976837

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Pretty plate

I posted here a few days ago that I recently made my first pizza on the Big Green Egg, with a pizza stone. I wanted to get more into that right away, because it was so good. So I hit the internet and one thing I started seeing on the Big Green Egg forums was that a lot of people were talking about making deep dish pizza using a cast iron skillet. I couldn't get that idea out of my mind, I knew I had to try it

So after a lot of research and preparation I made one tonight. I made both the dough and the sauce myself, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I had never made dough before so I kind of felt like I was doing it wrong throughout the process, because it was unfamiliar to me, but I just kept following the directions anyway and I think it turned out totally fine

I made the sauce last night and everything else today. The dough instructions had it resting for at least 2 hours, so during that time I was able to cook the sausage, cook the bacon, shred/crumble the cheeses, and get the BGE started and stabilized at 425* F.

This pizza was really amazing, I was blown away by how good it turned out! My wife and I both went back for seconds and we finished supper being totally stuffed
      Attached Files

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Just read the recipe for the dough. Interesting about the layers. I may give this one a try for Friday. It will be in the oven though. No BGE or SnS Kamado for this girlie. Actually, could I pull it off in the 22” Weber?

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking very good BradNorthGA !

• Rocinante
        Rocinante commented
        Editing a comment
        There's nothing like a sloppy pizza. Looks great...

BradNorthGA . Hey, not trying to steal your thunder, cause your pizza looks good. But, check out the pizza I made tonight!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Panhead John; January 19, 2021, 08:05 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Mark V You are a very kind man sir. I threw that in there as a joke, but it’s not too bad for frozen, once you Dr. it up a little. I just wanted Brad to feel really good about his pizza.

• RichieB
        RichieB commented
        Editing a comment
        Pizza looks great. A more pressing question, is that a self portrait of you on the box? Asking for a friend.

• Red Man
        Red Man commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve gotten that one before...not bad.

Thai chicken soy noodle stir fry. Definitely need a hotter heat source.
      Attached Files

Comment

Reverse seared some steaks with some hardwood lump and apple wood on my Weber kettle. Primo.
        Attached Files

Comment

• treesmacker
          treesmacker commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll bet those were good! 😛

Beef tenderloin roulade. Stuffing was provolone, garlic confit, caramelized onions, and mushrooms.

The cook went sideways; with the roast in the oven for 30 minutes, Mrs Mosca called with a dead battery. So I had to pull the roast and kill the oven, go get her, and then half an hour later restart the cook. It came out as close as I could get it after that.

Name:	C89D9EF2-53A0-4DF8-9190-C58EF8BED966.jpeg
Views:	292
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	976934

Name:	346388EC-E080-4C4D-9B6D-4BF40F8529B1.jpeg
Views:	292
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	976938

Name:	A7A5AD95-B991-4D1F-9205-62A3D4CBF368.jpeg
Views:	322
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	976933

Name:	7F3BBCB3-404C-4629-8272-1FB5DC22B3D1.jpeg
Views:	299
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	976936

Name:	6823CB0F-E3AA-443C-A823-616A4C5C9BBE.jpeg
Views:	298
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	976939

Name:	16B03855-4EA5-46D4-AFE3-7F6CE5AF4BD3.jpeg
Views:	294
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	976935

Name:	BB2BC2F7-6C52-42C7-9EC5-EAB2ACB613C2.jpeg
Views:	299
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	976937

Comment

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice recovery!

Well, my 23 year old daughter and her husband report to the hospital about 2 miles from my house at 11PM tonight, so came here to hang out and have a "last meal" before becoming parents. She wanted something with some carbs, and I offered a few suggestions. She selected a stir fry, which I hadn't done in a while. So... thawed some chicken and steak, boiled up some rice, and got cracking on the flat top.

So, veggie fried rice (with eggs), a mix of flank and sirloin, and some chicken, all dosed with some teriyaki sauce and soy, onion, garlic, ginger, pepper, etc.

My son in law taught me a new thing tonight that is Da Bomb - a drizzle of siracha over your teriyaki and yum yum sauce. Mmmm.

Name:	IMG_4133.JPEG
Views:	287
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	976943Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4136.JPEG
Views:	275
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	976944Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4140.JPEG
Views:	322
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	976942

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool, I like seeing that griddle in action. And yes, some sriracha sauce is always a Good Thingâ„¢!

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          SheilaAnn I am sure I will be posting baby pics somewhere on here soon! Henrik thanks - the griddle is just a fun way to cook. And things get done so fast too - most of the time is in the prep work.

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          jfmorris - I used to work a griddle when I worked in a restaurant. I really enjoyed the big surface, different temp zones, and being able to crank out lots of food to many, fast!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here