Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC)- Volume 20, Winter 2020/2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked up some ribs and chicken. Everything turned out great.
    Attached Files

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Everything looks great too.

• jpietrantone
      jpietrantone commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB Thanks! I love my 22 weber smoky mountain.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great!

Here is a rib roast that I did at Christmas this year. It was a choice rib roast. I dry brined it the night before, used Meatheads Mrs. O'Learys Cow Crust. I also smoked the back ribs that came with it separately. It was delicious!
    Attached Files

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I always love seeing a good rib roast. Yours look outstanding sir!

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great!

Well, I'm smoking some beef ribs in my PK TX. The TX means it is the PK Classic, but with the foldable stand (and sturdier wheels). I did go for the beefier stainless steel grates too. Totally worth it.

Either way, as you can probably tell I'm up to some experimenting. Doing a rub vs no rub cook (left - no rub and right - lotsa rub) for my next video.

Having a rub on is always better, no doubt, but it's fun to see how and if bark develops on the "no rub" side. I'll report back later.

Gotta take one for the team

Regardless these ribs are gonna taste good for sure.

Click image for larger version  Name:	beef_ribs_pk.jpg Views:	0 Size:	948.4 KB ID:	975949

Comment

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      What a fun experiment! I'm curious: this picture makes it look like the no rub side is thicker or beefier. Did it start out that way, or did this difference develop during the cook?

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jim. It is thicker, but that's because I opted to put rub only on the right (lower sloping half), so I wouldn't have rub 'contaminate' the no-rub-side by means of gravity. Meaning meat juices running 'downhill', bringing rub with it.

Some roasted yard bird on the PK. Laid some fresh herbs, garlic, lemon slices and EVOO in my iron skillet. Dry brined a few hours and then applied some EVOO and S&G rub to the bird. Used a pecan split as my charcoal fence to add a hint of smoke to the cook. Basted every 20 min with pan juices. Took about 2 hours. Came out moist and delicious. But AGAIN, forget to take after pics.....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TripleB; January 18, 2021, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice!

Reminds me of the 40 clove chicken I used to do in the oven.... might try that on the SnS now.

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      BFlynn yes, 40 clove chicken....delicious. Next time I'll add more garlic cloves to this dish. Love roasted garlic.

It was pretty good Divisional playoff weekend...Go Pack Go! Once again went to Meathead's sous vide que with prime filet. If any of y'all have a PBC, use their chimney instead of a full size Weber. You use less charcoal and it gets plenty hot enough, my infrared goes to 900 and it only showed max. It is a little smaller but if you are only grilling for 2 it works well.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Brett. I like potato wedges and mine never look that good. I’ve never tried the onion soup with em, but I am now. I’ve also never tried parchment paper, just aluminum foil in a pan.....sprayed with Pam. Does the parchment paper make em stick less?

• Brett Bowlin
      Brett Bowlin commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead, yes it does, no sticking whatsoever but browns up nicely. For good measure I give it a quick spray with olive oil.

• tamidw
      tamidw commented
      Editing a comment
      All looks great! I do potatoes that way too, but in chunks and kid friendly with no cayenne. They're always a hit and easy to do.

For the shrimp, did you only SV them?

Found half a pork butt in the freezer. S&P with some Sweet Baby Rays. Going to pull it and make some sliders with the slaw piled high 🤤
    Attached Files

Comment

Found a rack of spare ribs in the freezer, so defrosted them and dry brined overnight and threw it on the PBC along with a whole chicken split in half. Ribs got the MMD treatment and chicken got the PBC all purpose rub. The PBC rub isn’t my favorite and is way too salty but worked out good enough in the end

Click image for larger version

Name:	C9BE877F-857E-4DC9-8148-56D4036782AA.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	976223

Name:	6489FBEE-B46E-4B44-BAA2-44F2BDD4AC22.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	976224

Comment

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        I find with the PBC AP rub that you have to dry brine with it for at least a couple of hours and longer is better. That lets the saltiness get away from the surface so the first thing that hits your tongue isn't "GAHH! SALT!!". If you do that it's pretty good stuff.

The base had some decent tritips (no fat cap like wally world and almost half the price). Rubbed with hardcore carnivore black, and marinated taters in EVOO and the same overnight. Cooked the taters with a few tablespoons of tallow as well... Smoked for a little over and hour then grilled and served with avocado.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0117211631.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.86 MB ID:	976271
      Click image for larger version  Name:	0118211551.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.79 MB ID:	976272
      Click image for larger version  Name:	0118211916b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.23 MB ID:	976273
      Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; January 18, 2021, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• RickyBobby
        RickyBobby commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful cook!

McRib finally. Had a third of a rack in freezer.
      ​​​​Followed recipe with a little curve. I'm not a fan of pickles so subed in Cowboy Candy. Vidalla onion with Tubbs Hickory Bourbon sauce.
      I had baked burger buns a few days ago. Had it on sesame bun.
      Did not use all the rib. Thinking omlet.

​ here's the buns. Sesame, everything, poppy and plain.

​ ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Pic links broken.

Guotie - Pot stickers. These are filled with a pork and cabbage filling. I took a bunch of pix of the process and may post a recipe with photos later. The dipping sauce is easy if you've got the ingredients. I took the Woks of Life recipe and made a couple of changes based on past experience.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210119_005705364-01.jpeg Views:	16 Size:	5.71 MB ID:	976303
      Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210119_005854825-01.jpeg Views:	16 Size:	2.54 MB ID:	976300Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210119_010006274-01.jpeg Views:	16 Size:	2.99 MB ID:	976301 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210119_020922817-01.jpeg
Views:	239
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	976335
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Dewesq55; January 18, 2021, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        those look so tasty!

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Outstanding!

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

McRib finally. Had a third of a rack in freezer.
      ​​​​Followed recipe with a little curve. I'm not a fan of pickles so subed in Cowboy Candy. Vidalla onion with Tubbs Hickory Bourbon sauce.
      I had baked burger buns a few days ago. Had it on sesame bun.
      Did not use all the rib. Thinking omlet

Name:	20210118_194406.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	976321Click image for larger version

Name:	20210116_160948.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	976322

Comment

Vertically grilled a whole roasting chicken tonight in my Camp Chef . Placed chicken broth in the roaster stand cup with a little of the rub. I raised the cooking temp to 375° from 350° and it really did have a noticable effect on the overall cook in a positive way. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210118_191543.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	976346

Comment

I already posted this, but in the wrong topic.

Some leftover pot roast magically turned into a pot pie:

Name:	20210118_175825[1].jpg
Views:	238
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	976374

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            I was wondering about that. First your car keys and then the Easter eggs.

Not super-fancy, but tasty and cheap! Sous-Vide-Que Pork Chop in Piccata with Arugula.

Name:	57951A33-3EC5-4137-BFDA-DAACF8E4599C.jpeg
Views:	231
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	976397

Comment

Had the day off today and it was not snowing nor windy. Lunch was turkey breast filets with corn and salad topped with homemade creamy garlic dressing. Dinner was St. Louis Ribs with Honey Heat rub from HawkerXP served with carrots, broccoli cheddar rice, and slaw.
            Attached Files

Comment

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              HawkerXP, tried Honey Heat on one of the turkey filets and one rack of ribs. I didn't care for it on the turkey, wife thought it was OK. Was much better on the ribs, but was very sweet and I didn't pick up any heat. If I use it on ribs again I might glaze with a Jalapeño jam concoction or something. Love trying new rubs though. Thanks again! Also, do you mix with anything else or sauce usually?

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              We don't sauce our ribs so just straight up Honey Heat. . We do like it on chicken under and over the skin. I'd have to try again but I think it might have lost some of the "heat" with the latest batch.

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              HawkerXP maybe it settled too much in shipment and I didn’t get it mixed up enough. I really noticed that on the AP and shook it up really good before putting some in shaker. Honey Heat looked more uniform so I didn’t mix near as much. I detected zero heat and my daughter that thinks a moderate amount of black pepper is spicy didn’t notice anything.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here