Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC)- Volume 20, Winter 2020/2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A tip o' the hat to Richard Chrz for his recent pizza posts. I tried Tony's recipe and had good results using one Baking Steel in the center of the oven 'cause I only have one steel. The crust came out a bit on the chewy side of crisp, but was very tasty after ~ 48 hrs in the refrigerator. I was a bit nervous checking it from time to time because there didn't seem to be any rise. Other refrigerated doughs do rise for me. However, it did rise a lot once it started to warn up.

My wife prefers a very thin crust while I prefer a NY style crust. So after stretching hers, I used a rolling pin to get it as thin as possible and she really liked the results. For mine, I just stretched it until it was as thin I I thought it should go while trying to make sure there was a small cornicione. (If ya get a big cornicione, it's time to break out the butter and eat it like warm bread fresh from the oven...)

Here's what I did. Set oven to 550° about an hour before cookin' time, (Baking Steel read 585° just before I placed the first pie on it.). Loaded pizza in oven and rotated a bit every two minutes or so. I pulled it when I thought it was ready with dark brown spots on the bottom of the crust. Second pie was then stretched and dressed while the steel came back up to temp. I then baked the second pie the same way, but it took a bit longer, (didn't really time either).

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210109_180143[1].jpg Views:	8 Size:	1.73 MB ID:	971564

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210109_182029[1].jpg Views:	8 Size:	2.15 MB ID:	971565

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210109_182635[1].jpg Views:	8 Size:	699.0 KB ID:	971566
    Last edited by RonB; January 10, 2021, 08:56 AM.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice!!

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks fantastic, there is not a lot of rise in this dough. I occasionally have put them in my wife’s wine frig3, that is like 45 or 55 degrees. Hope you continue to enjoy it, lot’s of great crusts out there.

Ooooo, pizza. With little pools of oil.....

Comment

Some Saturday Night Paella....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5416.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	971606

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Love it

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        yes!

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yes!!

Inspired by Panhead John's profile in courage I ventured out into the arctic abyss this morning and started a pork shoulder Panhead John
      Attached Files
      Last edited by xaugievike; January 10, 2021, 09:33 AM.

Comment

• xaugievike
        xaugievike commented
        Editing a comment
        Well - It cared this morning....the lid was frozen shut. It was a character builder.

Panhead John - experience guides me in these difficult times. I had to put socks on with my crocs!

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Crocs? I’ll just stop there...

• xaugievike
        xaugievike commented
        Editing a comment
        Dont go hatin' on the crocs Glitchy!

Just some pan seared salmon. Finished in oven. Nothing special but it was tasty.

Name:	6C25B601-F96B-402D-B252-3CF5D199C863.jpeg
Views:	249
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	971617

Comment

Was watching an episode of Milk Street yesterday morning on PBS and got an inspiration. I normally just smoke heads of cauliflower (which is fantastic if you haven't done one). In their case they oven baked one but went further and brushed on a binder made from Dijon mustard, honey, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and some garlic. To that they added a combo of crumbled cheese and cilantro.

I went ahead and smoked mine with pecan as usual then applied the binder and cheese/cilantro. I only had queso fresco for the cheese and it didn't melt the way I wanted it to, but all in all it came out fantastic. Milk Street has some pretty great recipes that are relatively easy and quite good, check them out.

Name:	cauliflower 01.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	971673Click image for larger version

Name:	cauliflower 02.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	971671

Rest of the meal was pretty good as well. Cranked up the heat in the kettle after the cauliflower smoking and grilled some red snapper filets over Meyer lemon slices. Served the flits with tartar sauce, some tomato and onion risotto and of course a wedge of that delicious cauliflower. Even the wife licked her plate, which was totally unusual for her.

Name:	fish 01.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	971674Click image for larger version

Name:	fish 02.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	971672Click image for larger version

Name:	fish 03.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	971670

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Meyer lemons as big as grapefruits? Hhmmm......

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        SheilaAnn Yup, we grow them big here in Texas !! I think I still have a biggin’, I’ll snap a pic and post. All of them are at least half again as big as conventional lemons.

• tamidw
        tamidw commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks wonderful! I'm the only one that likes fish in our family so it's not often I get to cook it. 😊

Found a recipe on Serious Eats for Cuban style pollo a la plancha. Served with grilled onions and Click image for larger version

Name:	20210109_175320.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	971680 plantains, Cuban black beans and rice.

Name:	20210109_174314.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	971679

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Cuban black beans are the bomb. That whole meal looks great !!

• dtresca
        dtresca commented
        Editing a comment
        This looks fantastic! Love me some fried plantains!

Got a couple things going for an early dinner today. Overnight brisket cook is now resting in the cooler. Wife asked what I was doing for sides. So I just prepped some armadillo eggs.

Happy Sunday everyone!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by dtresca; January 11, 2021, 09:06 AM. Reason: Updated with finished products.

Comment

• dtresca
        dtresca commented
        Editing a comment
        The sausage actually holds together nicely. I haven't had it fall apart. But now I've probably jinxed myself...🤣

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to hear. I love poppers and spicy breakfast sausage. Great combo!

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Me really likes!

Name:	20210109_204219.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	971745Click image for larger version

Name:	20210109_175435.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	971740Click image for larger version

Name:	20210109_203847.jpg
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	971742Click image for larger version

Name:	20210109_203836.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	971741Click image for larger version

Name:	20210109_204015.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	971744Click image for larger version

Name:	20210109_203922.jpg
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	971743 My first long cook on my new Lonestar grillz offset. It's a work out learning to use this beast of a smoker. I'm have questions on the Lonestar channel later.

Comment

• Joetee
        Joetee commented
        Editing a comment
        My first attempt at smoking mac n cheese and baked beans. Had a lot of temp swings and they both came out dry. The butt I think I smoked to long. It was good but a little mushy for my liking. I pulled it off at about 200° IT, I prefer 193 to 195°.

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        For a first cook pretty darn good. It's not like it's set and forget!

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        The beans on the mac & cheese look over the top. Excellent looking meal!

Couple of med rare burgers.

Name:	2B57B121-E415-4067-8E5C-946C1138C4EB.jpeg
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	971759Click image for larger version

Name:	A9AE4BC0-BD43-4CBA-89F8-8C4BDC801778.jpeg
Views:	311
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	971758Click image for larger version

Name:	34B09D90-AA4B-473D-81E5-BFEAF59A2526.jpeg
Views:	296
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	971760

Comment

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Saw the chimney grate on here somewhere I doubt it is worth the cost when you can and should use any old grate.

I prefer skewers for steaks but burgers won’t stay together.

• Stuey1515
        Stuey1515 commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, wrap your laughing gear around those suckers, beautiful work mate

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Good Grief man!!

Today for my friends fighting cancer..i am cooking cornish hens/with buttet/lemon/salt /pepper/ rosemary sprigs...and corn in husk /foil with butter/salt/pepper/..and beans in foil pan/bush bourbon beans/and steakhouse beans/with ketchup/mustard/bbq sauce/tiger sauce/salt/ pepper/cayenne pepper/tomaties/bell pepper/ jalapeno/ green apple/jack daniels/ maple syrup/raw brown sugar
      . i also added a front shelf to my MB 560
      Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        What a great thing for you to do! Looks like it’s gonna be a great meal for those folks who I’m sure could use it. Well done.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow. Nice.

i hope so..tormorrow 2 of them start the chem again ..so they will not be eating much for the next week or so

Comment

• tamidw
        tamidw commented
        Editing a comment
        Best wishes for your friends.

Poor mans burnt ends

Name:	Burnt Ends.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	971963

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m poor. Yessir.

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        This dish is one of my faves. In fact I have a nice chuck roast in the freezer. I need to pull it out and make a batch of these.

Today in the slow cooker was blackberry jalapeno pork roast. Really happy with how it turned out!

Name:	IMG_20210110_163812.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	971982

Comment

• Blues1
        Blues1 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd be happy with it too!

skipsdaughter , I’m just over in WI. It’ll probably keep cold in the mail.
      Last edited by FireMan; January 10, 2021, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here