Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC)- Volume 20, Winter 2020/2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribeye with board sauce, Hasselback potatoes, and broccoli for dinner tonight. I had it planned to be a celebration of our latest grand-daughter, but she is being stubborn and decided today wouldn’t be her birthday. Maybe tomorrow.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	38208669-B2C5-46B8-B946-872111A9BC2F.jpeg
Views:	294
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	968188Click image for larger version

Name:	0B192307-3EF2-42FC-8F6A-C3502D6AC008.jpeg
Views:	281
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	968189Click image for larger version

Name:	94C7AE60-7526-4FBB-983E-6C83271AF286.jpeg
Views:	282
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	968187

Comment

In a short followup to my earlier Chicken Pot Pie post, I decided that in order to ensure no ingredients were wasted, I just had to do a little bit more:

Click image for larger version  Name:	14A150A0-2D7F-44B1-8E53-B8F3B146B620_1_201_a.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.91 MB ID:	968200
      I give you Chicken Pot Pie Stickers ... in the Air Fryer ... ... granted, a little weird but tasty nonetheless.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        How fun! I was thinking empanadas when I first saw the pic.

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        SheilaAnn - To be honest, they probably are closer to empanadas than to pot stickers ... but "Chicken Pot Pie Stickers" seemed funnier at the time. Throw in the bit about the Air Fryer and we're practically bordering on the hilarious here ...

Last nights cook. I had steak while my wife had salmon. Sides were asparagus and baked yellow potatoes. Our son called just after I put the potatoes on and I did not get a chance to get anything else going until the call was over, so the potatoes were done first, and I ate mine while it was hot.

Name:	20210102_175628[1].jpg
Views:	322
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	968217

Name:	20210102_182203[1].jpg
Views:	317
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	968218

Name:	20210102_182306[1].jpg
Views:	312
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	968219

Comment

Northern pike from river to plate today.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          Great looking food. Reminds me that some of the best meals I ever had were during beach lunches while fishing for Walleye. Catch some, cook them up in a skillet over an open fire, take a nap and then go back to fishing.

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve tried to mail order, but the portions are so big! I don’t want to thaw 5-10# of fish for dinner for two.

• treesmacker
          treesmacker commented
          Editing a comment
          OOOOhhhhhhh THAT looks GREAT! I want some!

Working on the bread game. It's getting better.

Name:	PXL_20210101_153759150.MP.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	968240

Name:	PXL_20210101_184135467.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	968239

Name:	PXL_20210101_194552168.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	968238

Comment

It was just about a week ago that on the advice of rickgregory, I made a Char Siu pork tenderloin using the marinade from Meathead's recipe for Char Siu ribs.

It was so good, my wife and I enjoyed it so much, that I ended up making another one today

It was delicious this time also! Made cauliflower to go with it
          Attached Files
          Last edited by BradNorthGA; January 3, 2021, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Oven fried chicken parts using the air fryer mode and air fryer basket on my new Samsung range. It's NOT fried, but it was more crunchy and evenly golden brown than when I used to bake it in my old oven. Side of mashed, skin-on red potatoes with garlic. Made gravy with some stock from the freezer.

Sorry about the pix. I forgot to take them until after I had started eating

Name:	PXL_20210104_013818068-01.jpeg
Views:	335
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	968254Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210104_012038189-01.jpeg
Views:	319
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	968255

Comment

Sometimes you’re just in the mood for a good old porterhouse steak and baked tater. Tonight was it. After microwaving the potato, I then put in the Porterhouse. As we all know, steaks are best done in the microwave. I just bought the new Kenmore 5000 Blast-O-Rama and did a reverse atomic bombardment of the micro-waves. And boy, was it tasty! The crust was much better than what you get from most microwaves. I expect that very soon, most people will be ditching their grills and getting one of these puppies.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Panhead John; January 3, 2021, 08:23 PM.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                Editing a comment
                I love a good porterhouse, sadly it's a cut that seems to be disappearing from stores.

• ofelles
                ofelles commented
                Editing a comment
                Come on, you're trying to pull my leg! You boiled that steak and then used a can on Sterno to char it!
                So just a CL!

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Love me a porterhouse

Broke in my new wok with some Sichuan-style pork. I should have divided the cook into two cooks, ended up overloading the wok but it still turned out great.

Name:	stirfry1.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	968268

Name:	stirfry2.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	968267

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Which wok did you get?

Kathryn

• 58limited
                58limited commented
                Editing a comment
                fzxdoc Joyce Chen 12" carbon steel flat bottom. I had too much in the wok in the picture above so I cut the ingredients load in half and everything cooks much better. I also followed advice and prefry the pork before finishing in the wok.

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you, 58limited , for the additional information. I've sidled up to getting a wok several times over the last couple of years. I gave the one we had away when we moved about 12 years ago. It was, if you can believe it, an electric one (a wedding gift). Never could make good food in it.

I'll look at JC's woks. During the last MCS temptation, I was eyeballing a carbon steel one from the Wok Shop, 14" diameter, 14 gauge carbon steel, welded main handle and helper handle as well.
                K
                Last edited by fzxdoc; January 9, 2021, 06:59 AM.

My first attempt at Caprese Flank Steak. It was really good
              Attached Files

Comment

• Donw
                Donw commented
                Editing a comment
                Beautiful!

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                These are trickier than they look. I did a write-up on Attjack 's version of this for the free part of the site and had to cook it myself. I found that the cheese wanted to melt faster than the meat wanted to cook. Yours turned out pretty well, kudos on your cooking skill !!

• Big Ed
                Big Ed commented
                Editing a comment
                It was a lot harder than it looked. I seared them super hot to keep the cheese in and then finished them in the indirect side. Flipped a lot to try and keep cheese in. Thanks to everyone for the positive comments.

Took the wok to it’s max tonight - a little full with the noodles and chicken for some Pad Thai. I do think I need to find a better Pad Thai recipe though. This is good, but I’d like to find something that represents what I get at a few Thai spots we frequent. I’ve tried some peanut butter to make it a little creamier, but I may need to try out something with tamarind in it to see what that brings.

But, I am Really enjoying this wok and what it’s bringing to the cooks!

Click image for larger version  Name:	6B9A1995-1AC2-45A1-9668-1260BB8B42FB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.23 MB ID:	968293

Click image for larger version  Name:	995D08AA-7678-46B9-A8F9-E7490C0C5F0C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.43 MB ID:	968292

Click image for larger version  Name:	3C8290A9-D426-49F3-B19B-B4E2B34E4B87.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.36 MB ID:	968291
              Last edited by barelfly; January 3, 2021, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• ofelles
                ofelles commented
                Editing a comment
                and another wok dish!

Someone sent me a video of someone making a McRib... here:

I figured I’d try to top it, here:

Not sure if my video is better, but it was sure tasty Let me know if you think I should enter the home cook video game (might need to work on my editing game first)

Name:	A6D4ED7D-26EE-4985-B0BA-C5CC6E7FB130.jpeg
Views:	314
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	968327

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                Great pic and video. Looks good. For being new here, you’re fitting in just fine! We like to see the participation you’re showing right off the bat! Now, as soon as you microwave that first steak, be sure and show it to us. 😂

• jhoskins
                jhoskins commented
                Editing a comment
                Panhead John thanks! I figured I’d jump right in, the water is fine.

I’ll share my first microwave Ribeye cook right after I finish perfecting the art of spraying lighter fluid on already lit charcoal to "turn up the heat" on my burgers

A multi day recipe that was really good, but didn't even come close to what I wanted... I knew going into this that it wasn't gonna be exact, but I thought it might be close, nope... reviews were correct. I mostly followed dinnerthendessert El Pollo Loco copycat since I've been craving this for 20+ years. I LOVE El Pollo Loco, it's my favorite fast food chicken and I haven't had it since I was a kid. The flavors are close, but not close enough. The only deviation was I used poblanos instead of jalapenos, I'm guessing our community wiped out the grocery store after receiving their stimulus checks 'cuase literally every store is wiped out of seasonings, some key veggies, and every single scratch off (seriously).

Charred, then diced the poblanos for use in the chicken and the beans
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0876.JPG Views:	5 Size:	4.18 MB ID:	968336
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0880.JPG Views:	5 Size:	4.72 MB ID:	968337

Beans went on with some bacon, 200 degrees for a few hours, bacon removed, chopped, and re-added to the beans that had soaked with onions and such the night before along with the 2 whole chickens in pineapple marinade.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0902.JPG Views:	5 Size:	2.27 MB ID:	968332

A lot of recipes talk smack about the yellow food coloring El Pollo Loco uses and how it's not necessary, well I used turmeric because at least it has a slight flavor.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0898.JPG Views:	5 Size:	2.62 MB ID:	968333
              After the beans got a half day smoke, I moved 'em inside to slow simmer on the electric stovetop. Then I grilled the chicken at 475 for 20ish minutes skin down with weight.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0903.JPG Views:	5 Size:	2.79 MB ID:	968334
              It looks great, it tastes good, but the skin is not crispy. The marinade tastes good, but I don't think it's right and the skin isn't as crispy as it should be. I guess I coulda scraped the fat from under the skin or something.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0905.JPG Views:	5 Size:	3.04 MB ID:	968335
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0910.jpg Views:	5 Size:	842.1 KB ID:	968331
              Everything was very tasty, and I will try a variation of the recipe again with some tweaks, but I guess I'll have to wait until the next time I travel to the best coast to get some of my favorite chicken. I blended the leftover pintos and will freeze most of them, and refry the rest with some other leftovers.
              Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; January 3, 2021, 09:41 PM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
                SheilaAnn commented
                Editing a comment
                ItsAllGoneToTheDogs the mall by my house have each of those restaurants. Park once and hit them all! 🤣🤣🤣

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                Editing a comment
                SheilaAnn y'all keep rubbing it in and I'll send you one of my dogs (they're like kids, cute until they are yours 24/7)

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                I’d eat that chicken all day. And ... yeah, got loads of them here too.

4 flavors of bacon - regular, maple bourbon, Asian and jalapeño.

All done on the new SnS with a chunk of pecan wood

Name:	20210103_210729.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	968371

Name:	20210103_220432.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	968373 ​​​​​Click image for larger version

Name:	20210103_213008.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	968372

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Bacon !!!!

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Excellent.

I had some leftover Pumpernickel dough and sauerkraut from New Years day, so I decided to make a pizza with them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	pump1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	663.3 KB ID:	968580
              I mixed up a blend of mayo and mustard for the base, then added the kraut, sauteed onions and some sliced up Virginia ham lunch meat. On top of that was a blend of Swiss and sharp cheddar.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	pump2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	685.0 KB ID:	968581
              I probably could have put more cheese on it, but it still was good. Put in the oven on convection 500F for 8 minutes and it was done.

Click image for larger version  Name:	pump3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	778.8 KB ID:	968582
              Given the characteristic of the dough, I wasn't expecting a light and fluffy crust, but it sure had a good flavor and chew to it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	pump4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	455.5 KB ID:	968583

Too bad it was only 12pm, otherwise I would have chased it down with a nice Pilsner. I did manage to have leftovers though

Last edited by Rocinante; January 4, 2021, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• ofelles
                ofelles commented
                Editing a comment
                What an interesting combination. I can't imagine the flavor.
                Last edited by ofelles; January 4, 2021, 08:45 PM.

• Rocinante
                Rocinante commented
                Editing a comment
                It was quite tastie for sure. I didn't want to overload it with the toppings, as I knew it wouldn't rise all that much, but it turned out very well!

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here