Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC)- Volume 20, Winter 2020/2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something a Little Different tonight:

Authentic East Indian Butter Chicken

Tadka Dal. Which is Basically Red, Yellow and Green Lentils served with Indian Spices, Red Chilis with Tomato Ginger Garlic.

Instead of Basmati Rice I made Homemade Roti. Which is basically a Whole Wheat Indian Flatbread....

This meal was over the top. At least Mrs. Troymeister (Linda) thought so. I actually did too. Cooking this way was a little outside my box. I'm glad I did. I learned a few things and it really infused my senses with a whole lot of different input.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5368.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	965031Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5373.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	965030

Comment

Seared dry scallop salad. The two darker ones on the left were coated with Omnivore Sicilia sauce then seared. Really good.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20201230_022520375.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.40 MB ID:	965092

Comment

• theroc
        theroc commented
        Editing a comment
        willxfmr - know exactly what you mean. We're fortunate to have a great seafood supplier in town who does home delivery.

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        theroc where do you get them from? Is it a place I can shop at? I’m sure delivery to the LBC would be very expensive.

• theroc
        theroc commented
        Editing a comment
        SheilaAnn (and other SoCal pitmasters) - absolutely. The company is Kai Gourmet in El Segundo.

Shop our wide selection of fresh seafood. Kai Gourmet offers sashimi quality seafood, premium meats and gourmet products from New Zealand and around the world.

I don't think you can shop there in person, but they do local delivery and I believe they have curbside pick-up. Their seafood is really, really good. They also have some meat and poultry, although we haven't tried anything other than the seafood.

Attempting something new for the Christmas meal is always risky but with the help of my son-in-law, an accomplished cook, we smoked a pork crown roast. I used elements from Meathead's and Malcom's recipes to great success. Meathead's stuffing and glaze along with Malcom's AP seasoning made the day!
      Click image for larger version  Name:	crown.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.8 KB ID:	965249
      Last edited by stokester; December 30, 2020, 10:35 AM.

Comment

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        Fit for royalty!

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Huzzah!

Cooked some burgers on cast iron last night. Next time I'll do it on the Hasty-Bake, but it's been cold and nasty and I just don't feel like going outside.

Name:	IMG_2221.png
Views:	271
Size:	939.7 KB
ID:	965322

Name:	IMG_2222.png
Views:	274
Size:	872.8 KB
ID:	965321

Name:	IMG_2223.png
Views:	278
Size:	710.4 KB
ID:	965320

Also, the hounds demonstrating their belief that they are entitled to Stacy's share of the beans and chicken the other night.

Name:	IMG_2219.png
Views:	284
Size:	947.7 KB
ID:	965323

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed. My dad always said he would rather have a great burger than an ok steak. I feel the same way

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Done me several CI burger cooks, over th last week, or so...

Dee-Licious, an I'll git some pics up, fer yall, since it DID happen, lol!

Jfrosty27 yer Dad was dang dang skippy right, an my house smells like beefy Heaven...

Steaks? Schmeaks!!! Pah!

ofelles thanks fer th reminder; I mebbe shoulda put some cheese on a few that I been runnin, but Smokey an me gorged down on em, nonetheless, an apprantly, none th wiser...
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 30, 2020, 08:13 PM.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, sometimes a good burger is what’s called for. My "weeknight burger" recipe is easy, juicy, flavorful .... Posted it in recipes for folks. Easy enough to turn out pretty much any weeknight. If you don’t have time, you can skip the 30 minutes in the fridge and go straight from forming the patties to the pan or grill

Smoked Jalapeño Poppers with maple syrup glaze.

ingredients:
      10 fresh whole jalapeños

Two 8oz tubs of cream cheese with chives

your favorite bbq rub (I used Kosmos honey chipotle killer bee)

1/4 cup of maple syrup

Two packages of bacon

Steps:

halve jalapeños and cut stem off

use spoon to scoop out membrane and seeds

in a bowl, blend cream cheese with a few shakes of the bbq rub

Fill each jalapeño with cream cheese

wrap each jalapeño with a piece of bacon

sprinkle bbq rub over the tops of wrapped jalapeños

smoke for 25 minutes then brush with maple syrup

smoke 10 more minutes

if you want crispier you can broil for 7 minutes in oven

I used GMG Dave’s Crocket heated to 375 degrees.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Those look terrific Dr. J. That would be a good fit to go under our "recipes" channel. Are you familiar with that yet?

It was also burger day at our house. I thawed a package of Hatch Charger green chiles to liven things up. Cooked a few hot dogs, too.

Name:	2020-12-30 18.07.36-1.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	965511

And for a side, I put the rest of the chiles in some queso.

Name:	2020-12-30 18.14.54.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	965512

As an aside, we couldn't find plain Velveeta (yeah, I'm lazy on some dishes) in the smaller one pound block, so we wound up with "Mexican" which has some jalapenos in it. And with the fresh green chiles, I needed to add tomatoes on their own instead of Ro-Tel. On our last trip to Sam's, we bought a case of 12 of these cans of chopped tomatoes. I'm very impressed with them. They claim only 5 hours field to can, and they certainly taste fresh enough to believe that. They're also steam peeled, so I've been very happy with them in chili and Italian dishes.

Name:	2020-12-30 17.22.36.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	965513

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Love hatch chiles on burgers!

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Those look good!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        What great lookin burgers, Amigo!

Mightily Tempted to try it, but Ah'm down to, like, fiddy pounds of Hatch Chiles; Chargers, Sandias, an Lumbres...

Okay, okay, dadgummit...

I'll (reluctantly) un-arse a few, an see what happens lol

Left over smoked 3 meat Italian meatballs, a homemade San Marzano Vodka cream sauce, and a 50 plus hour ferment on the crust.

Click image for larger version  Name:	D16AD122-D20A-42DC-857D-616CE2221906.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.48 MB ID:	965525
      Click image for larger version  Name:	65F9178D-3496-4744-8173-FDD09A664583.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.93 MB ID:	965524

Click image for larger version  Name:	334C9B66-F0D0-4797-A1CA-D0EE71EAB093.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.98 MB ID:	965523

Last edited by Richard Chrz; December 30, 2020, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones & SheilaAnn if you two would like, I can put a post together on the pizza page? I warn you though, I ramble, typically without any formation of sense and order. But, I can tell you what I lust about this, and what I understand "so far" I’m a newb still. I just have some control issues, that I am learning to direct it towards my cooking.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Richard Chrz I would Very Much enjoy yer Sesame Streetin me through what ya did, right there, Brother!!!

I do come on bended knees, but th bowin thing ain't workin so well right now, on accounta a recent cranial incident.

SitRep: Bowing=Bad, least at present.... Sorry, Amigo!

I'll try hard to git all kinda healed up, an Toadie my danged dang self in a more proper, an servile fashion, jus as soon as this laceration/contusion in my skull heals, lol

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Lead the way! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Cheesesteaks using leftover prime rib from Christmas day, provolone, onions, red and green bell peppers:

Name:	PXL_20201231_005428393-01.jpeg
Views:	293
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	965578Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201231_005422529-01.jpeg
Views:	266
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	965579

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Only a few thoughts:

1> GASP, DAYUMM!!!

2>YUMMO!!!

Like how it's got alla th basic Christmastime Colours, in there...

Gonna be tryin this, lotsa leftovers right now, pardon me if'n I toast my bun(s)

Might not be traditional, I dunno, but it's what I likeys...

probly steamed buns, in PA, would be my guess, as a cook...

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones - Those buns were lightly toasted. It's what I like, too!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Was on th fence, lookin at em from here, saw what mebbe was a faint Maillard, at th very edges, factored in it mighta justa been some dribbled Jus lol!

Had pulled pork in the freezer, so made pulled pork sandwiches with baked potatoes! My wife found these great rolls (she’s gluten free and I don’t think we’ve had soft rolls like these before). Made for great Pulled pork that was sauced with with Blues Hog Tennessee Red and that pickle on the plate.

Name:	AD6BC0C4-4065-440B-BEB8-147BDA172E30.jpeg
Views:	313
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	965627

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        "Rooms to let 50 cents"

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the ear worm, can’t get the song out of my head now! 🤣🤣🤣

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        "...I’m a man of means by no means...."

Science says that if your plate is 90% vegetables then you are a vegan. Here's my vegan plate with leftover duck Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201227_225028042.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	965743

Comment

• troymeister
        troymeister commented
        Editing a comment
        I like that kind of science...lol

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Is there something wrong with the fact that his leftovers look better than my first runs?

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Do not resist sir. It is futile.

A couple cooks from this week. SVQ New York from Costco. Steak was pasteurized so I wasn't worried about it...but if you click on the picture and look closely you can see the "blade tenderizing". This steak was from a moment of particularly well marbled weakness haha!

The tacos are Grilled Chicken Street Tacos of my own "thrown together" marinade. Tacos made from scratch as well.

Altogether a good half-week of cooking!

Name:	IMG_1522.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	965847Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1528.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	965848Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1530.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	965846

Comment

Chix stir fry from the other night.

Name:	20201229_185711[1].jpg
Views:	277
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	965861

Comment

My burger competition entries, Smokey hot wing bacon double cheese and a juicy Lucy Stilton stuffed Christmas burger, I didn’t win!
          Attached Files

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
            Michael_in_TX commented
            Editing a comment
            That cheese.....is practically oozing out of my screen. Wow.

• Meat P
            Meat P commented
            Editing a comment
            It's a Christmas burger so why not add sprouts? Caramalised red cabage, bacon bits and crispy onions in there too

• treesmacker
            treesmacker commented
            Editing a comment
            You shoulda WON! I sure hope some of these pics end up in "Hot from the Pit"; they are deserving!
            Last edited by treesmacker; January 2, 2021, 07:43 PM.

Panhead John yes I added it to the other channel as well. Thanks

Comment

So after reading Troutman’s post on chicken hung on the wsm the other day, I got the urge for some. I don’t have the hanging doodad for the wsm yet, then I remembered the HJ Leggie chicken. I had some Wishbone and some Woody’s, so:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	AFFAE43F-045F-4669-8C5D-8C6007587CA4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.47 MB ID:	966082
            The lighter piece was basted with just Wishbone, the darker with 50/50 Wishbone/Woody’s. Troutman I don’t think I ever commented on the Woody’s, I use it a lot. I really like using it to cut really sweet sauces like Blues Hog.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...w-slow-chicken

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              klflowers I used to use Woody’s BBQ sauce a lot. That really is good stuff! Even by itself.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Been having a hankering for some HJ Leggie chicken, you may have just inspired me 👍

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here