Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking - 7/16/2014 through 3/13/2015

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show Us What You're Cooking - 7/16/2014 through 3/13/2015

UPDATE - Alright folks what's on tap (for cookin and imbibing) for tonight, this weekend, or this upcoming holiday? Tell us what you'll be making now, then come back after the cook with bragging pics. Then, if you have time, post all the details of your cook in the Recipes channel.
    Last edited by Meathead; November 10, 2020, 09:30 AM.

I'm probably inside (it's hot in Baton Rouge, and I did ribs last weekend!), doing chicken with preserved lemons, since I preserved a couple of jars of lemons a couple of months ago.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I make a Moroccan dish with chicken, preserved lemons, and olives. Is your dish similar? I'm wondering about stuffing some preserved lemons in the cavity of a chicken and smoking it.

Kathryn

• Guy
      Guy commented
      Editing a comment
      How do you preserve lemons??

• Guy
      Guy commented
      Editing a comment
      dprice, I am a Gator so I will probably just stuff myself with ice cream while I watch GA FL game.

I just purchased Grill Grates for my gas grill. I'm going to experiment with grills up and grills upside down.

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      NICELY DONE!

• Papa Bob
      Papa Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      I Promise you are going to LOVE your GGs, the best grillin tool you can get.

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      You are going to love the grill grates. I use them all the time. Pick up some smoking pellets. you can toss a couple on the grill grates and that will give you a touch of smoke for your burgers and anything else you cook on them. Making my Enchilada sauce, today, I took my ancho peppers and roasted them on the grill grates with pellets on them (and yes, it does make the house smoky so turn off the smoke detectors) I just open the kitchen door to the garage and that helps pull off the smoke. but the peppers and tomatoes were all roasted on the grill grates. they all roasted up beautifully. when I do steak, and for hamburgers, I put two grill grates, one up one down. Sear and start on the rails, then sear off on the flat. for you garlic and onion, if you want them inside your burger, sauté them, then mix them with your meat. that way you don't need to powdered variety. you'll have a sweeter onion flavor and garlic flavor than the powder. I know that makes it a two step cook but for me, the flavor is better (I can't tolerate uncooked onion, it makes me ill, almost to the point of being allergic) You can sauté them either in butter (which will add another flavor to your party) or either the bacon grease from the bacon on the burger or reserved from an earlier cook, or you can keep some rendered beef fat from burger cooking to cook onion & garlic in the future. Just some thoughts on burgers & Grill grates.

Originally posted by bocefuss View Post
    I just purchased Grill Grates for my gas grill. I'm going to experiment with grills up and grills upside down.
    Grills up - try chicken fingers. Cook to 155F then let them rest up to 160F. Truss me

Grills down - reverse sear steakhouse burgers.

Comment

• Steevo01
      Steevo01 commented
      Editing a comment
      I use them upside down all the time on my weber gas grill, grate:-) for searing

Friday night me and wife will have chicken and Carne Asada on the grill - Hickory grilled Steak marinated in lime and coriander (Cilantro for my American friends) is hard to beat.

Saturday I've got a 93rd birthday which Ill be doing a shoulder of pork and I've just picked up 6 20cm (8") Beef short ribs which I'll smoke too.

Cannot wait for the weekend to begin!

Comment

Friday will be attempt one for steakhouse burgers. Saturday, world's greatest smoked turkey with enough leftovers for two weeks worth of sandwhiches. Sunday, ribs, of course!

Comment

This weekend will be three racks of St. Louis Ribs hickory smoked as a minimum.
        Last edited by Marauderer; July 17, 2014, 10:17 AM.

Comment

I won't know til the weekend gets here, but probably chicken.

Comment

Saturday i will re-attempt burnt ends. Going to do a 3-5 lb point and see what happens. on the same smoker i will do some smoked corn on the cob, and some smoked twice baked potatoes.

Comment

• dprice
              dprice commented
              Editing a comment
              Where do you find points? I can find flats and whole packers, but I have had no luck finding points alone.

• jrobertson50
              jrobertson50 commented
              Editing a comment
              i have a local butcher that cuts them for me. I also have a couple whole foods that will cut them off for me.

• Guy
              Guy commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry but what are points???? Just trying to soak up everything I can.

I'm going to try my first shoulder post the acquisition of the smokenator and maverick thermometer. I might try calibrating tonight so that I'm not learning how to use the thermometer while I'm cooking. Hoping that smokenator is waiting for me when I get home!

Comment

• wjHunter
              wjHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey hv - Once you get the smokenator, let me know how it goes, maybe we can share techniques/tips.

One thing I will definitely do next time, is use a bigger water pan above the grate instead of the small pan that comes with the smokenator. I knew that Meathead recommended that, but I wanted to start off with the included pan and then switch.

• hoovarmin
              hoovarmin commented
              Editing a comment
              Wjhunter - I'm using a water pan today (sans smokenator) for the first time. I'm a believer now - I can't believe how much it stabilizes the temp in the kettle.

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              The Smokenator works as advertised. I've always used the little water pan that comes with it, as opposed to a bigger pan on top as Meathead suggests. The drawback to Meathead's approach occurs when it's time to add more coals - the water pan has to be removed so that the grate can be flipped up and coals can be added. I have found that at the 4 hour mark is when coals need to be added for longer cooks. Add water once per hour (I set an alarm) and knock the ash off the coals every other hour.

my work week won't be ending on Friday...instead the plant is not running Friday and running Saturday. Just the shift I am on, who knows what I will feel like doing come Saturday.

I "love" having to book an extra night in a hotel...

Comment

Ive just ordered grill grates on Amazon! Tomorrow I plan 2 st. Louis ribs apple/pecan smoked, 1bison prime rib (about 4 lbs) and last but not least 1 ox steak from Piemonte (it tastes good, but I prefer bison). Some friends at the dinner table to share all of that.

Comment

I picked up a 1.5" 1.5 lb prime CAB ribeye from the fancy local butcher shop last night. I'm dry brining as we speak, gonna reverse sear that deliciousness tonight, split it with my lady and enjoy with grilled sweet potatoes, dirty broc, and one of our favorite Malbecs. Nom nom nom...then sit in a heap until we fall asleep probably.

Comment

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Keep us posted on the result!

• Flavorsavor
                  Flavorsavor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'll put up another post so I can include the pics

Pulled two cryovac racks of baby backs out for the weekend, going to fire up the partyq for the first run. Looking forward to it for sure. Wasnt thinking and made a big batch on MMD but took it all up north. I'll need to whip some up (not that thats a bad thing)

Comment

I think I'm gonna cook a tri-tip tonight, chickens over the weekend. Maybe some burgs.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here