Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SnowBQ!
    Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes! great Color on those ribs brother!!

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful!

Weather was fantastic yesterday down here in El Salvador:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Photo 1-15-17, 4 15 15 PM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	6.19 MB ID:	264125

Great 25c (77f) temperature, slight breeze. So naturally, the urge to Q kicked in and I got two racks of BBRs to smoke with some friends. Plus, I was waiting for an excuse to test out my new Smoke thermometer from Thermoworks, which worked perfectly.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Photo 1-15-17, 2 44 40 PM.jpg Views:	2 Size:	5.38 MB ID:	264127

Used Meathead's Memphis Dust after dry brining for two hours. Got the Kettle with SnS up to 175, when I put the ribs in and added first batch of coffee plant wood. Added more smoke after about 30 minutes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Photo 1-15-17, 2 46 05 PM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	6.03 MB ID:	264128
    The Kettle was keeping the temp really nicely, I never got over 240 and never went under 215 in the 3 hours and 20 minutes I cooked these ribs. Most of the time it was between 220-228, with very little adjustments needed.

After I took them out I applied the Classic KC sauce to one slab, and the Danny Gaulden Glaze to the other one. Both came out great.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Photo 1-15-17, 6 13 49 PM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.30 MB ID:	264131
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Photo 1-15-17, 6 14 16 PM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	5.29 MB ID:	264130
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Photo 1-15-17, 6 19 14 PM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.37 MB ID:	264129

I think (and my guests agreed) the flavor profile was great, you could feel the smoke and the rub, and it mixed beautifully with the sauce. They did say that they would have liked a little more sauce on both, which I agreed with.

I had a slight problem, however, with the texture. I did the bend test and the racks almost broke in half, so I figured they were done. When we tasted them, however, it was clear they could have stayed on a little longer to make them more tender, as the meat wasn't quite pulling of the bone as I would have thought they would be given the bend test. So next time, a little longer on Kettle should to the trick. Plus, the day earlier we had tried some ribs a friend made using sous vide for 12 hours and then went on the grill with some sauce, and they were fall-off-the-bone. They had great texture, but lacked the flavor of the smoke.

Overall though, great Sunday.

Cheers!
    Attached Files

Comment

• smokinfatties
      smokinfatties commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it helps with the tenderness if you give it an hour or so, maybe next time let one rack rest for an hour in a faux cambro and see if you enjoy them as much!

• OneEyedJack
      OneEyedJack commented
      Editing a comment
      I've always thought is was a good thing for the ribs to have a little tooth to them and not just slide off the bone, although this wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

• gijsveltman
      gijsveltman commented
      Editing a comment
      OneEyedJack I agree, I like some firm texture. But these were a little too tough!

Weather forecast looked good for Sunday so we did baby backs at the in-laws. With the ribs we had salad, baked beans and foil-wrapped potatoes (cooked in her Weber Genesis). The ribs were cooked in my mother-in-law's kettle and I brought my SnS.

This is what they looked like just before they were wrapped:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0825.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	264143
    The end result:

Name:	IMG_0826.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	416.9 KB
ID:	264145Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0828.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	264144

Name:	IMG_0827.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	389.9 KB
ID:	264146

Comment

• Gator Lau
      Gator Lau commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice meal!

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice job getting three big racks on the grate. Food looks great!

• OneEyedJack
      OneEyedJack commented
      Editing a comment
      That's pro quality cooking right there!

Sous Vide burgers (cooked at 133F and torch-seared) and peas.

Name:	sv-burger3.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	264207

Comment

SnS Chikin......

Comment

• bbqoaf
        bbqoaf commented
        Editing a comment
        Why isn't there also butter on the avocado?

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        bbqoaf no, just straight avocado and salt. I eat high fat moderate protein, no sugar or grains. One or 2 meals a day.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice looking "bark"!

Night before last an old friend came over for dinner and I made SV tri-tip, mashed cauliflower and salad. No pics.

Last night we had SV salmon. It was cooked for 40 minutes at 122F and then basted with a honey-orange juice glaze, torch seared then rebasted. It kinda fell apart on the way from the bag to the searing station. Served with mixed veggies.

Name:	salmon-citrus.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	265437

Comment

• josht138
        josht138 commented
        Editing a comment
        I always have that problem with fish after SV where it falls apart. I tried searing first but that doesn't seem to make much difference.

Ok, it's not grilled and it's not ribs and BF cooked it. Does this count?

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	181
Size:	319.9 KB
ID:	265571

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        It counts! Tell him good job.

If it's cooked it counts. Maybe even if it's frozen - like homemade ice cream.

Comment

My wings experiment came out good Click image for larger version

Name:	17 - 1 (1).jpg
Views:	176
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	265789

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          They look great! I wish a had a sample.

• Gator Lau
          Gator Lau commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks good to me. Experiment must have worked. What was it?

Day late and a couple dollars short, but here's a boring ol' chuck/pulled beef picture from the other day. 20hr dry brine and BBBR, post oak & sweet cherry chunks on KBB in the SnS. Made Philly sammies with sauteed onions, green peppers and provolone, but no pics of those.

Had my first wacky probe error with my Smoke. But I got it resolved. In the meantime, one of my trusty old Mavericks saved the day.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG1090.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.60 MB ID:	265858

Comment

Today I smoked the short ribs I found the other day. They turned out great - smoky, tender, and juicy. They were in the kettle for about 4.5 hours @ 250* F, and then about 2 hours in my poor man's sou vide @ ~ 170* F. I also made some twice baked potatoes and some Brussels sprouts. Everyone said great meal.

Name:	CM7I1118.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	266670

Poor man's sou vide.

Name:	CM7I1117.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	266668

Ready to slice.

Name:	CM7I1120.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	266669

Not a wide smoke ring, but intense.

Name:	CM7I1121.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	266671

Time to eat.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Jeff_Carley - They were...

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Magnifico! Some of the best I've seen. It was worth the wait & effort.

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          FireMan - Thanx. I will be doing these again.

I ended up smoking the boneless rib meat strips with BBR. They were awesome.

A local shop makes their sausage by hand and they are the best I've ever had. Chicken Herb and Pork Bratwurst smoked with cherry wood, I had to use my rib rack as a sausage rack to fit in the 22" kettle. So good, the food made up for that joke of an NFC Championship game! Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	423.1 KB
ID:	266677Click image for larger version

Views:	181
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	266678Click image for larger version

Views:	182
Size:	372.7 KB
ID:	266679
        Attached Files

Comment

• troymeister
          troymeister commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow..talk about a sausage party......Looks awesome!!

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Good golly! Yum yum!!

• OneEyedJack
          OneEyedJack commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice sausage sculpture - very artistic!

Looks good enough t' eat!!! Yum!!!

Comment

Bear Burgers...Reverse Sear...Homemade Truffle-Parm Chips....OMG Good.. SnS Grill with Grates.

Name:	IMG_0193.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	267085Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0197 2.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	267088Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0203.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	267086Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0195.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	267087Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0207.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	267089

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful! Thanks for getting my appetite going! Well done. Awesome pics.

• troymeister
            troymeister commented
            Editing a comment
            fuzzydaddy Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated.

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Really good looking burgers!!

Home made junk food: Jumbo dog with chili and mozzarella cheese over rye bread. Cheese was melted and a bit charred (on purpose) with my searing torch.

Name:	chili-dog.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	267412

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            mgaretz Lovin th Jumbo dogs, hope ya made some extra!!!
            Thanks fer postin

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks great! Now this reminds me that I haven't had rye bread in a long time.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here