Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DWCowles ...

If you want to take that Tri tip to the next level of excellence leave it in your hot tub for 36/48 hours.

I just did 2 in the hot tub together for 36 hours and fed 7 people with them all were quite amazed that a less expensive piece of meat could taste so good.

I'm SVing a Cross rib roast now that I'm cooking at 141°. I'm going to SV it for 36 hours and then put some Memphis Dust on it and put it in my BGE to smoke it. I'll take it to somewhere around 200° until it is probe soft.

Low and slow is to Sous Vide the same as BBQ.

The great part of low & slow SV is it is the ultimate set it and forget it cooking experience.👍

Comment

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      Try about 8 hours next time and see if it is significantly different than your longer cook.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      mgaretz ...

Are you saying that 36 hours is too much?

• Sierraslick
      Sierraslick commented
      Editing a comment
      I was also wondering what the 36 hour cook would do to the texture? I'm brand new to the SV but I plan to use it in conjunction with my BGE to finish it, the same as you. Learning, leaning, learning!

Trimmed a 12 lb prime brisket for a Sunday cook. Trimmed 2.5 lbs of fat and I am dry brining it for an 8am start.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Boom!!!!!!!!!! DWCowles

• jecucolo
      jecucolo commented
      Editing a comment
      Crutched at 170. I really want Crutch it at 190 but could not postpone the lunch time.
      Last edited by jecucolo; March 13, 2016, 04:31 PM.

• ClaytonfromMillarville
      ClaytonfromMillarville commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you go with the usual 1/2tsp/pound of Kosher salt? probably for about 12-14hrs given the thickness?

Maybe that's what it needs! I just mixed a batch of bbbr. Added cumino and sifted the cracked pepper so I have only the coarse pieces.

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      That's BBBR done right!

Just a few Polock Johnny's today. Kind of funny that my UPS guy delivered these to the grill.😀 As far as I know, these are only available in the Baltimore area. The "Works" sauce is pretty good on them and i also use this sauce on burgers and eggs...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	147362 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3424.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	147363

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      Too funny on the delivery!!

Beef stew made with ends of tri-tips that I cut into steaks. Tri-tip, carrots, celery, onion, potato, parsnips, peas, mushrooms and barley. Made in the Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cooker.

Name:	tt-stew.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	147378

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice... That looks great.

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      Yummy.....we do something like this with chuck roast often.

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Man ol' man Jon Solberg that's what I am having except I'm doing bacon wrap stuff chicken breast...are you having the white bbq sauce with those babies?

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      ALWAYS! I love the stuff.

Nothing special just bacon wrap stuffed chicken breast, mac & cheese and mash taters Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0013.9.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	147514 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0014.6.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	147515 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0016.1 (1).jpg
Views:	415
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	147516 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0018.1.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	147517

Comment

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm doing this one!

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      You two need to coordinate your cooks better, quit this tag team thing,

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      What was the purpose of the Grill Grate?

• Corvus
      Corvus commented
      Editing a comment
      I experimented with searing a light coat of bbq sauce on afterwards. I cut the racks in half, then seared the concave sides. Seemed like a good idea, but I don't think it improved the outcome.

• Corvus
      Corvus commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Jerod, a couple weeks ago you advised me about using binder clips on my grill lid. I'm running the thermometer lead under the lid. I'm choking on the idea of drilling a 3/8" hole in the kettle to run the lead. What do you think?

Have an open mind, hot dogs with leftover spicy butter chicken sauce and kraut on leftover burger buns.

Actually pretty tasty.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmmm, interesting. I suppose if you like sauerkraut that'd be tasty. I really like to put Buffalo wing sauce on my hotdogs, I call them wing dogs. They are flippin awesome but my wife doesn't share my enthusiasm.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee, I'm lovin' the wing dog idea! I'm gonna take that ball, and run with it; I'll use my daily go-to: jalapeno cheddar brats...

Two racks of St. Louis style ribs. I used Oakridge BBQ Crucible for the rub. Man is that stuff HOT!!! But its amazing. I brushed it with a ham glaze/butter mixture. Then Finished it with Texas Pepper Jelly and Blues Hog BBQ sauce. It was great to get the Keg fired up again. i haven't been running it much since I got the KBQ. But I was in for a ultra low maintenance cook last night. And the Keg always fits that bill.

Name:	IMG_0294.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	147735 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0293.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	147736

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Huskee. You would have been proud. I took the ribs off, got the BBQ dragon going and got that keg up too warp 10 in no time flat. You should have smelled these babies on that direct fire!! Huskee

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh man I bet. I just got done eating my baby backs...I think I can smell yours in here somewhere!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker, that looks / sounds incredible! I am actually salivating, running through the complex layers of flavor in my mind!

First post so here goes... I started Friday night trimming the pork and salt brining with Icelandic Salt flakes. This salt is like nothing else I have ever tasted... it is so flavourful, and the flakes melt nicely into the meat. I tried it very sparingly once before along with some Kosher salt, and the Icelandic flakes really made the meat pop. This time, I am using pure Icelandic salt flakes. It was a gift from a friend visiting Iceland. I have to get some more!! I can't emphasize how different and good this salt is!
    Last night, Saturday, I used Meathead's rub recipe and coated the pork. This morning, at 4am, I placed the two pork shoulders on my Weber "Redhead" grill which is 26 years old. It has been rebuild many times; most recently with new Weber parts and Grill Grates. You got to love quality products! Thank you Weber and Grill Grates.
    Anyway, to cook the pork, I removed my thin, front leading edge section (about 5") of Grill Grates and positioned the wider, rear section (about 18") to cover the center flame bar. An aluminum foil tub of hot water was placed under the pork with a slight offset, as shown, to insert a SS funnel so I could add more water.
    It is now 12 hours later and the pork is just powering through the stall.
    History has taught me that during these cold Canadian winter cooks, it takes me about 14 - 18 hours to get the pork to 200 degrees.
    I have two nice pieces of pork. One for the family, and one for all of you. Dinner is served at about 8. If you cannot make it, I'll kindly bring one of the pork shoulders to the food bank in your name. All the best and warm regards from Nova Scotia.

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice job ... and welcome to the Pit !

My last home meal for awhile...Ribeye, sweet potato and last years corn on the cob.....and a Dr Pepper Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0016 (2).JPG
Views:	353
Size:	313.0 KB
ID:	147817

Comment

Picked up a corned beef brisket on Thursday, soaked it Friday until Saturday night. Put the pastrami rub on and into wsm around 1030 Saturday night. Smoked at 225 until 2 Sunday afternoon, internal 197. Into cooler until 5. Then onto some rye with mustard.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice! Great cook.👍

First attempt at the Reverse-Sear

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Not bad at all. Looks good to me.

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats! Figuring out the reverse sear is a MAJOR game changer for your grilling hobby.🤗

Originally posted by burntofferings View Post
      First attempt at the Reverse-Sear
      Welcome to The Pit burntofferings! Nice work on that steak!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here