Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 bone standing rib roast trimmed down to just the eye. SV @132F for 3 hrs then seared with the SnS. Rubbed in cow crust.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20161210_191718.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.36 MB ID:	249119

Click image for larger version  Name:	20161210_191657.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.73 MB ID:	249118

Comment

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks great! Wondering what you did with the cap?

• josht138
      josht138 commented
      Editing a comment
      Saved it, the ribs, and the trimmings all for another day.

Breakfast! Grits, bacon and omelette filled with onion, tomato, green bell pepper, fresh chopped spinach and a little ground red pepper, salt and pepper. (please ignore the pool - I cleaned it afterward)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Breakfast1 121116.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	249332Click image for larger version

Name:	Brerakfast2 121116.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	249333Click image for larger version

Name:	Breakfast3 121116.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	249334

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Yummy yummy!

• Ribber
      Ribber commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee you can do anything you want to your grits 'cause they're your grits. I've never added sugar but I add a nice little hunk-o-butta.

• Ribber
      Ribber commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, and I like sugar in my tea...I'm a southern boy.

Ribber, looks like a Great way to start th' day! Mmmm-mmmm, GOOD!
    Thanks fer' sharin'!!!

Comment

• Ribber
      Ribber commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! It was! And you're welcome!

Salt and pepper hickory smoked ribs

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      SLC's are sooooooooooo goooooooooood.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Fantastic photo

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yuuuuuup!

Name:	20161205_203959.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	249627Click image for larger version

Name:	20161211_162102.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	249628Click image for larger version

Name:	20161211_195551.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	249629Click image for larger version

Name:	20161211_201428.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	249630Click image for larger version

Name:	20161211_175630.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	249631Click image for larger version

Name:	20161211_203303.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	249632Click image for larger version

Name:	20161211_153756.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	249625Click image for larger version

Name:	20161211_154008.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	249626 Double cook today. 16 pounds of bacon and an 8 pound prime rib. The bacon cured 7 days and the prime rib dry brined 48 hours. Used the simple bacon recipe and Mrs O'Leary's cow crust. Smoked using a cherry/pecan mix. Also made a batch of the Secretariat Horseradish. No plated pictures unfortunately. Wife was ready to get started.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      I thought it was a butt in the third pic, I was thinking, "where's the bark?"

Done on my Akorn
    Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Righteous lookin' pizza there, ronron240z !

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah... that's how you do it. Nice looking pizza pie.👍

Last night's ribs. A little disappointing as little smoke ring and slightly over done, but still better than the local BBQ joints.

Name:	Ribs 12-12-16.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	438.8 KB
ID:	249746Click image for larger version

Name:	Cut Ribs 12-12-16 12-12-16.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	249747

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Funny - overdone to me and my son is "perfect" to my wife and daughter. Lost in China, this photo is terrific for your "sauce" question. @Ischweig, what did you use on top? Looks delicious!

• lschweig
      lschweig commented
      Editing a comment
      I generally use a around 50:50 mix of KC Masterpiece and Famous Dave's Saucy.

I am slightly puzzled as to why the pit boss's comment disappeared as he basically told me I was "nuts" for being critical of my ribs.

• edible hen
      edible hen commented
      Editing a comment
      If you hit the up arrow on the upper right of the comments, all comments will show up.

SV burgers again, served on dill rye with pickles, lettuce and homemade 1000 Island Dressing, fries made in the air fryer and salad.

Name:	burger3.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	250230

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      mgaretz, Do you ever SV shoestring potatoes to start the French Fry process? If so, how long and at what temp? How do you finish them, if you have done it?

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope. I made SV mashed potatoes once, though. Not worth the effort.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      mgaretz, thanks. I tried awhile back. SV'd potatoes and took them to the flat side of the Grillgrates - not good at all. Was wondering if I did something wrong.

Nice looking Burger & Fries you have there mgaretz. I just put 13# of sausage:
    fresh kielbasa & Jalapeño pork. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG0229.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.47 MB ID:	250390
    Last edited by Oso21!; December 13, 2016, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Sweet and not sour cabbage borscht. My wife said she doesn't like the sour, so I left it out, and cut back some on the sugar as well. Still tasty on this cold and rainy night. Made with chuck, carrots, tomato (diced and sauce) and onion, slow cooked for 8 hours. Served with dill rye toast and salad.

Name:	cabbage-soup.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	250408

Comment

I finally saw my first Tri-Tip down here on the Third Coast. They are everywhere on the West Coast but seem to be a newer cut down here (at least to me). Had to grab it and see what the hubbub was all about. Since there are only two of us, it was a nice size; dinner and leftovers for lunch!

I cooked it on my WSCGC using Meathead's cookbook recipe except that I used the rub/spicing from Raichlen's Project Smoke.

Came out very juicy tasty, and tender but I am still flummoxed by the mechanics of the sear part of the reverse sear method. Mostly came out Medium Rare as I wanted but on the surface where I 'seared' it, it seemed to overcook a bit. Ideas? Suggestions?

Name:	Tri-Tip_edited.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	251314

Name:	Tri-Tip 2_edited.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	251315

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe seared it a little long, and needed a hotter source?

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          What EdF said, hotter fire and turn often (a la Meathead's "human rotisserie").

Porterdriver What they said. You need a super hot fire, flip every minute. I use super hot charcoal in my Slow 'N Sear. After 4 minutes I have a great surface char. I've noticed if I keep searing beyond that time I get tan banding.

Also, muscles that have fibers running with the plane of the grate... or maybe I should just say cuts of meat with horizontal fibers, tend to get more tan banding than cuts with perpendicular fibers.

Flank steak and Tri-Tip are good examples. The fibers run horizontal and they tend to get tan banding more easily.

Ribeyes have perpendicular fibers and are much easier to keep from getting too much tan banding.

Tan banding is the overcooked meat, in case I forgot to explain that somewhere.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Tan banding... that's a good term. Those of us that have tried to grill the perfect steak hate it when that happens.😡

• Porterdriver
          Porterdriver commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks to all above for the help, I suspected that. Worried me that it takes several minutes for the WSCGC to get roaring to do the direct sear and that the meat would ready be at the finish temp before I got to sear it. I'll be more patient next time. Also I will try to turn more often.

Something for the crappy-weather-weekend: Sous vide duck confit

Brined overnight in salt, peppercorns, and fresh thyme ... rinsed thoroughly then bagged with duck fat, bay leaf, and thyme sprig before being vacuum sealed and ready for the next 12 hours in a 170 degree SV hot tub:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Duck Confit Ready for the Hot Tub.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.12 MB ID:	251678
        Last edited by MBMorgan; December 17, 2016, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          FWIW, I can't take credit for the very simple "recipe" ... it's from here:

Give us anything “confit” — an ancient method of preserving meat in which it’s cooked in its own fat — and we’re very likely to eat it. This Sous Vide Duck Leg Confit is no exception.

I figure it's a good place to start ...

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the link to the recipe and the info on how to get the duck fat Mike.👍 I might have to give that a try. I've never eaten duck.🤔

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          You're quite welcome. I've never made duck confit at home because it normally requires too much fat. Cooking sous vide solves that little problem ... just a couple of tablespoons required.

SnS Reverse Sear Eye of the Round Roast. Averaged 230 degrees, pulled the roast out at 130. Delish.....

Guests were amazed.

Name:	IMG_0137.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	314.5 KB
ID:	251942Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0138.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	318.1 KB
ID:	251941Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0146.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	310.6 KB
ID:	251943Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0147.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	251940

Comment

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	252003 Simple dry brined sirloin tip roast with parsnip - carrot mash and an jus (not pictured). Pulled at 128 IT and it was pretty perfect.

This was an indoor cook, today we have a break from the recent spate of arctic like temperatures so I'll hopefully get the kettle fired up soon. Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.60 MB ID:	252000
          Attached Files
          Last edited by bbqoaf; December 18, 2016, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            You smoked that? With what? Looks so even I thought it was Sous Vide!

• bbqoaf
            bbqoaf commented
            Editing a comment
            David Parrish, thanks, it was an indoor reverse sear at 225.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here