Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC & Yoder Wichita chicken. The back 6 (left to right) were stickburner, the front six PBC. Roughly the same temps ~340 for the most part. As you can see the PBC chicken looks perhaps a little less sightly, but since I like dark meat well done, they actually were better to me. The Yoder had ash & oak logs, the PBC had 1 ash & oak chunk. The 4 on the left (front & back) were my rub, the 4 in the middle were PBC all purpose rub, and the right were marinated in McCormick Grill Mates tomato basil marinade packets. Not a bad bite anywhere!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_30413.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	246238

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you guys tbob4 fuzzydaddy Each differently seasoned piece that was picked up seemed better than the last, they were all awesome!

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice! I love comparison cooks like these!

• Shane Rakow
      Shane Rakow commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm full of ribs right now, but I sure could use one of those to top me off for the night!! Yum.

Pork tenderloins on my 26" kettle and SnS XL. Garlic, black pepper and rosemary are our favorite for these. Cook was ~325 for about 45 minutes to an IT of 140.

Name:	IMG_0666.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	246259

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great! We cook a lot of pork tenderloins in Sweden, good to see!

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Henrik thank you!

• Shane Rakow
      Shane Rakow commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking really good!!

First chuckie. Done on PBC combo of Mrs O and BBBR. Shhhhhh. Shes resting.

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	214
Size:	387.7 KB
ID:	246380
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HawkerXP; December 3, 2016, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      PBC makes righteous pulled chuck roast. That meat really likes the flavor from the burnt offerings.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      I couldn't pick up the meat without if falling apart as I took it out of wrapping.

• bbqoaf
      bbqoaf commented
      Editing a comment
      Beef looks great, nice lookin taters too.

Had some coals left ........... Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	178
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	246276

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Chicken Montreal rub and a chunk of pecan. Should of took the pic outside. Pecan gives chicken and real nice color.

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a plate almost exactly like yours! However I don't have any chicken that looks that good!

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Pecan is awesome with poultry!

Ok, I am confused. (Not an unusual situation for me) The package said this was a tri-tip. There was a lot of fat in this this 2.25 lb roast. The way I understand it, the tri-tip is part of the sirloin. Seems like there should not be this much intramuscular fat in sirloin. Am I wrong here? Did I get sold a different cut of meat?
    Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I cook at least 70 per year - probably a lot more. The fat is not uncommon. Cut against the grain and thin and it will not only take on a different look but it will melt in your mouth! That's a great photo.

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm with tbob4! An untrimmed tri tip can have a LOT of fat. I'll trim it down to 1/8-1/4".

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      I took this up to 115 too quickly. I should have given it probably another half hour to get there, and the fat would have rendered more.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FullSizeRender 6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.90 MB ID:	246403Click image for larger version  Name:	FullSizeRender 8.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.72 MB ID:	246404Click image for larger version  Name:	FullSizeRender 7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.79 MB ID:	246405
    It may look a bit "well" for some, but the internal temp is 145 and tender as can be. Smoked 3.5 hours and then seared on Grillgrates with a couple of brushes of sauce.
    Last edited by tbob4; December 4, 2016, 10:58 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks delicious!!! Any left? :-)
      Great job!

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice one!

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice slicing pic

Originally posted by jgjeske1 View Post
    Ok, I am confused. (Not an unusual situation for me) The package said this was a tri-tip. There was a lot of fat in this this 2.25 lb roast. The way I understand it, the tri-tip is part of the sirloin. Seems like there should not be this much intramuscular fat in sirloin. Am I wrong here? Did I get sold a different cut of meat?
    In that cut pic where you show the fat... you cut with the grain. It could be that you just happened to cut into a fat striation. If you cut against the grain you'll likely see a lot smaller fat ratio.

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought I was cutting against the grain? I cut straight across the end of the roast. It was dang good!

Off to the races! Snow? What snow?

Name:	IMG_20161204_115316_967.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	246648Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161204_114920_931.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	246649

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I got a thermo-blanket for my 'ol Traeger so let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      You definitely ended up with more accumulation than what we did. Nice looking ribs!

Looks like a great start, Shane Rakow !!!
    I spy, with my lil' eye, yer smokin' tube on th' LH of pic #2... might jus have t' make me one (or more) o' them, fer some of my cookers, especially th' ol' Brinkmann electric.
    Thanks fer sharin', and th' inspiration, as well.
    Keep us posted as yer cook progresses, please!

Comment

• Shane Rakow
      Shane Rakow commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there Mr. Bones! Yeah, i'm cheap so I just rolled up some hail screen. Light it with a blowtorch. Cheaper than Amazon.

Select point. Select flat curing for pastrami.

6 hours in 183 internal. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161204_145853.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	246710

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful

• Shane Rakow
      Shane Rakow commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks super! I just wish It wouldn't shrink up so bad. I start mine out, then get good and hungry, then finish the point, then wonder who stole half my meat. The dreaded "shrinkage" strikes again.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks marvelous, Jerod Broussard! Thanks!!

SnS Ribs ...2 small chunks of cherry wood...Twice baked with Gorgonzola, Homemade sauce....Kick A** Artichokes from Trader Joes. Not to mention good Cabernet... Most importantly 5" of wet snow...What fun....Oh Yeah...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3175.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.64 MB ID:	246841Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3182.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.05 MB ID:	246839Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3185.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.69 MB ID:	246840
    Last edited by troymeister; December 4, 2016, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• Shane Rakow
      Shane Rakow commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking deeelish!!!

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow! Gorgeous.

Thunder77
    I thought I was cutting against the grain? I cut straight across the end of the roast. It was dang good!
    Dave's right. You nailed most of it. I think you happened to grab one slice that was with the grain.

Click image for larger version  Name:	tritip2.PNG Views:	1 Size:	82.8 KB ID:	246855Click image for larger version  Name:	tritip3.PNG Views:	1 Size:	75.4 KB ID:	246856Click image for larger version  Name:	tritip.PNG Views:	1 Size:	1.10 MB ID:	246857

Comment

Dinner Last night: Steak au Poivre using grilled flat iron steak, patatoes Dauphinoise and broccoli au gratin. Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1480937831448.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	246963

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Yummy! Everything looks great.

Huskee - Nice job on the tri-tip illustrations. I feel honored you used my photo to illustrate. Unfortunately, I stole a couple of hunks from the middle and end before taking that photo because my wife was a little slow with the side dishes. Your lines and my cuts would have lined up a bit better then! I really like the feature you used with the red lines and the tri-tip out of the bag to show the grain. It's important to note that the grain at the top of the tri-tip will often run at slightly different angles - no two are just alike. It's relatively easy if you get a good triangle but often, you can get one that's shaped just a bit off. When you reverse sear those lines of delineation can completely disappear. Your illustration is very helpful because while we have an abundance of tri-tips in California it always surprises me to find out that it's still relatively hard to come by in other parts of the Country. A good slicing technique can make all the difference in the world. Good job!

Comment

• Northside Brian
      Northside Brian commented
      Editing a comment
      Here in Ft. Worth I did find tri-tip at a country butcher once. But it was about $6/lb if I remember right and they looked kind of small compared to all the pictures I have seen on here so I bought a couple chuck roasts for $3.99/lb instead.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I was confused for a minute...my bad, I used your pic instead of jgjeske1's by mistake. Anyway, the point was to illustrate there's two directions of grain in a tri tip like you say and not just one.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee - It's the best job I have seen of illustrating how to cut the "cut". That's why I like the site so much. I'm going to have to wait a bit to buy a PBC but I've been taking in all your advice for when I do. Thanks again for all your work!

Home made yam soup with leftover smoked turkey breast. Turkey breast coated with gochujang BBQ sauce and broiled, finished with chives. Perfect cold weather dinner. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	247267

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here